Best diesel engine for land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well Beno you work for the Toyota Corp right? What's the skinny on a diesel going in or not?

I do not work for Toyota Motor Sales USA (TMS, USA) nor do I work for Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC Japan), or Toyota Engineering or Manufacturing North America.... Toyota's dealerships have nothing to do with Toyota beyond being a franchise for the product.

I actually have no idea whether Toyota is getting a diesel in the Tundra or not.

But my educated intuition is: no way in hell. Just like no way in hell is Toyota ever bringing another SFA truck into the North American market.

Just like diesel is a passing fad that will go away once diesel hits $5,6,7 per gallon. Just like we'll all be driving bikes when gas hits $10 a gallon.

We are merely psychologically avoiding the inevitable. :meh:

Just like diesel is a passing fad that will go away once diesel hits $5,6,7 per gallon. Just like we'll all be driving bikes when gas hits $10 a gallon.

Jesus, when Diesel hits $5/ gallon? I pay that already!! $5.29/G ($1.40/L) is about the going rate here, and I'm not going to stop buying it at that, because my diesel gets twice the milage of my gasser!!

Now, when Diesel hits $8/G I might consider building a diesel electric hybrid!

I do not work for Toyota Motor Sales USA (TMS, USA) nor do I work for Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC Japan), or Toyota Engineering or Manufacturing North America.... Toyota's dealerships have nothing to do with Toyota beyond being a franchise for the product.

I actually have no idea whether Toyota is getting a diesel in the Tundra or not.

But my educated intuition is: no way in hell. Just like no way in hell is Toyota ever bringing another SFA truck into the North American market.

We are merely psychologically avoiding the inevitable. :meh:

Diesel was $5.50/gallon last time I filled up. Hasn't changed a single thing...

Then let's just change the figure to whatever will not allow us to fill the tank. I threw $5 out there because for those of us in the US (not Canada) that would be a psychological barrier that would economically hinder a good portion of the LC driving population.

Be that $5 for some folks, $8, $10 whatever that threshold might be. We will find it sooner than later.

must be pick on Beno night ...
personally, i work from home so the price of fuel doesn't affect me as much as most but ... damn ... it HAS to be painful when you spend $50 a day just to drive to work and home again.

Not picking on beno at all crushers, just sucks to be paying these prices when others think they are rediculous!

I tell you what really sucks, driving my 80 gasser getting 10MPG when my diesel 60 could easily do 20mpg! Spending about $100 a week on Gas and I can't burn any veggie!

come fill up ur LCs here....although we find it expensive compared to the local income....price for gas is approx US$3 and diesel US$1.2..... consider a group buy :D

Like others have said I think it all depends on location and availability of parts. I chose a 6bt for that reason. It may not be the "best" choice for an 80 but I know they are dependable and provide the power I need. I have driven them and have friends and family that have them in their trucks. Never heard any major complaints about them from the people I know. I like the sound a Cummins makes just like I enjoy the sound of driving my IH 7.3. I don't know much about the Isuzu diesels but the one in my buddy's box truck has been going strong for years without major issues.
I thought about a Toyota diesel but without ever driving one or seeing one why would I spend the money to install one? They could be the best engine ever but I will never know living in the US at the present time. All engines will have problems and I don't want to be on a road trip having to wait on parts.

Well certainly there is plenty of information out there on Toyota diesels so I think that the idea of having to own one before you can comment is silly.

Yes price and availability play a huge role in selection. Also, we all know the Toyota diesels just don't put out the torque and power of the cummins. Does that mean the Yota diesels are bad? No, they're great but so are Cummins.

Well certainly there is plenty of information out there on Toyota diesels so I think that the idea of having to own one before you can comment is silly.

Yes price and availability play a huge role in selection. Also, we all know the Toyota diesels just don't put out the torque and power of the cummins. Does that mean the Yota diesels are bad? No, they're great but so are Cummins.

To be fair the 80 is not set up to handle the power that a modified Cummins 5.9 can deliver, a 1HD-T/FT/FTE can be easily built (ie. turbo and tuning) to have enough power to completely overwhelm the platform.

Last edited:
To be fair the 80 is not set up to handle the power that a modified Cummins 5.9 can deliver, a 1HD-T/FT/FTE can be easily built (ie. turbo and tuning) to have enough power to completely overwhelm the platform.
What does the aftermarket support for power adders? Any dyno numbers on some turned up diesels. I'd honestly be interested to see. I agree with the above statement I don't think the Toyota diesel is bad it just doesn't put out the power I'd want dollar for dollar on cost.

I am doing a 6bt conversion this summer with the 5 speed dodge transmission. Very solid motor with tons of power and good fuel economy.

What does the aftermarket support for power adders? Any dyno numbers on some turned up diesels. I'd honestly be interested to see. I agree with the above statement I don't think the Toyota diesel is bad it just doesn't put out the power I'd want dollar for dollar on cost.

The possibilities are almost endless. Turbos, intercoolers, built pumps.

Mild mods (turbo upgrade, intercooler, exhaust) and you can easily see 280hp and 600ft-lbs dynoed at the wheels with a proper tune.

The first P-pump'd '12 valve' Cummins 6BTAs in the what is called 2nd Gen Ram trucks (1994-) were 160hp and 420lbft of torque when in front of the 47RH automatic transmission. The earlier VE pump'd engines were similar.

That would be more than sufficient for a 80 Series. Upping the 'horsepower' calculation is also increasing the torque numbers which would start to play hell with the rest of the drivetrain.

I agree with previous statement of the Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and Mercedes options as well. Unfortunately for us in the U.S. the Toyota engines are significantly more expensive, extremely hard to get parts for--yes I know Canada is just right up there and things can be shipped from Australia but our Customs procedures are abysmally ulcer incuding at best--and quite difficult to find in turn-key condition.

Would I be "proud" of swapping in a non-Toyota diesel engine? Depends. I like them, and it would be nice to keep it 100% Toyota, but part of the reason I waited until 2014 to buy a LC was because I'm not in the money-is-not-an-object category, so money talks. A lot. Doing a diesel swap to an otherwise proven reliable easy-to-source engine with a substantial and stable parts network locally to me for less than half of the factory offering makes the most sense, to me. I have no pride, and don't need a Toyota engine to fulfill some sort of delusional superiority complex. If that were the case I'd just buy a new 70 Series and import it piece by piece to make a FrankenCruiser.

Has duramax been discussed in this thread yet? I saw one either in an 80 or 100 several years ago and it sounded sweet

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom