Best diesel engine for land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can't legally import the HDJ81 from Canada until they're 25 years old. It's right around the corner though!

Our shop does not install Cummins engines, because the 6bt and 4bt are a poor fit in a Land Cruiser (in my opinion). Take my opinion for what it's worth, what you paid for it. There are other engines out there, not made by Toyota, that are a better fit than a cummins though. Not to say that they're bad engines, just not a good fit. If you have to modify suspension to fit an engine, then you are compromising the ride. I wouldn't hold my breath for the 6bt to a442 adapters either, it's easier to just go with a 700r4 to your 80 series or 60 case, it's a better option anyway.

in my humble experience....i owned a 60 series super roof cruiser with a 12HD-T...u cant IMAGINE how tough that engine was....fast on the highway and rigged on the trail.....BUT.....parts were a NIGHTMARE...it even costs LESS here than the 1HZ.

I currently own a 94 vx with a 1HD-T (which i thought was a 1HZ when i started the build, because it had no turbo).....to say the least.....BEFORE i maintained it...(slight grey/white smoke....piston, rings and gaskets change)...it pulled the cruiser packed with relief aid tents..pulling a mini bus HIACE full with tents and food...7 people between both vehicles... through flood water a few inches below the window...for about 1/2 a km up to dry land.

doesnt use up my diesel as much as the 12HD-T did.....and does great on the streets too.

Parts are available even where i am at.....and possibly in most parts of the world too. VERY simple engine....i even posted a video of how i got mine running on 3 wires and nothing else.

the longest running engine in our region...and the dominating one....1 HZ.....but i have heard there are two models ...a pre 2000 model and a later one....but i have NO idea whats the difference.

I'm biased as I am currently in oz but the 1hd-fte motor is awesome, it's reliability in these parts is renowned, it's strong, efficient, and powerful. I drive both manual and auto 100 series with one fitted one love them.
I can see what you guys all mean with ecu's etc though...
Hence a 1hdt or 1hd ft maybe better. I have a mate with both who reckons the hdt pulls better low down (12v vs 24v maybe?). The only problem with the hdt is that it has been out of production a while now.

Early and late 1 hz motors differ with the intake gear, the later ones have (what I have been told anyways) more emissions and altitude control gear.

I don't care about how fast I go so a 1hz would do me, but if you're hauling lots a turbo would be the way to go.

Have you considered a chev optimiser? I have been looking at options to replace my 3f and this has more positive reviews than the old 6.2 & 6.5's , and there are plenty of kits to fit them.

What are the Toyota turbo diesel cut outs going for these days 10-12k? That's too much cheddar just to say you kept it all Toyota... Dollar per ft/lb of torque it's hard to beat the 4b/6b engines. Plus they are super simple to work on. No timing belts lol

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

if you want to be able to stir your coffee with out a spoon, go cummins
if you don't want to listen to the wife while you drive down the road, go cummins
if you want your Toyota to sound american, feel american, go cummins

timing belts take 20 min to change out once every 100K.
Toyota diesels, not for everyone, there for those with class.

if you want to be able to stir your coffee with out a spoon, go cummins
if you don't want to listen to the wife while you drive down the road, go cummins
if you want your Toyota to sound american, feel american, go cummins

timing belts take 20 min to change out once every 100K.
Toyota diesels, not for everyone, there for those with class.
Haha what a joke :). I'm sure you have owned a Cummins before too right, and now you are divorced because you drive a Toyota diesel and don't have to listen to your old lady. 20 min timing belt change, now that's a flat out lie... What are you going to say next the parts are plentiful and cheap here in the States??

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

actually, i have owned a cummins and my helper is driving one right now.
i hated mine so much i went BACK to the powersmoke after ONE trip hauling 12,000 lbs 11,000 miles. :bang:what a POS engine.
my helper, lord help him, loves his.:doh:

you have changed how many timing belts on a HDT/HZ/PZ engine? ??
(we are not talking typical redneck:hillbilly: timing belt change:
start the clock
grab a beer
discuss what to do
finish beer and pull the truck in the garage
grab your second beer
open hood and stare at the engine
talk to your buddy about the latest game
finish beer
crack a new one
scratch head
MAYBE pull out a book
realize it is out of your league
shut hood
drink another beer
take truck to proper mechanic to do the belt correctly :idea:... in 20 mins :D (okay, i might have exaggerated that one a whee bit. but VERY easy job to do)
pass out
stop the clock when finally sober)

never said parts are cheap or plentiful, now did I?o_O
but since you brought it up, how often do you NEED parts for these engines?:slap:
you have owned how many Toyota diesel engines? for how long?

Last edited:
i have never seen, let alone own a cummins engine.....but with toyotas diesel engine...i bought this cruiser from a history of 5 ABUSIVE POs....with over 530k km.....the whole rebuild now includes:
gaskets
pistons
rings
injectors
plus all lathe machining (sleeves and crank) and workshop/transport etc fees

total so far US$1,700

when will i need to do that again......probably sometime when my kids inherit the cruiser and forget to change oil and filters...

keep in mind i only did this maintenance because i WANTED to...not because i needed to..

edit: forgot to mention ...timing belt, bearings and the air thingy that goes to the brake thingy, oil pressure sensor, water coolant sensor and a few bits a pieces (missing bolts etc)

Last edited:
there...we just made ur decision a bit more complicated... :D

i would look around to see what is available in your area/region and then go for that...u get to find parts easier and most workshops will be familiar with that engine..and probably more mods etc too.. just my 2 cents

there is no 110% engine..it all depends on what u need it for and how YOU drive it...

we have smugglers here who cross from the red sea to the libyan desert in 2wd hilux pickups 4 cyl engines ...packed with goods...others have GM atlas straight 6 or votec v8 engines installed to outrun the customs and anti-trafficking police

Last edited:
and you can go 500,000 miles in a 1HZ ... if you can the oil regularily
in the mines, a NA truck lasts 500 hours, the Cruiser 5000 hours. (no exaggeration here)
what does that tell you?

Underground run diesels because of carbon monoxide. They also need smaller vehicles. We have a 2nd gen Tacoma with a 3.3 Cummins sitting on diamond axles and 80 series arms for our underground ambulance. We also have powerstrokes, all surface stuff is gas fords.

So idk if it tells me anything.

I work at a very large gold mine BTW.

Last edited:
actually, i have owned a cummins and my helper is driving one right now.
i hated mine so much i went BACK to the powersmoke after ONE trip hauling 12,000 lbs 11,000 miles. :bang:what a POS engine.
my helper, lord help him, loves his.:doh:

you have changed how many timing belts on a HDT/HZ/PZ engine? ??
(we are not talking typical redneck:hillbilly: timing belt change:
start the clock
grab a beer
discuss what to do
finish beer and pull the truck in the garage
grab your second beer
open hood and stare at the engine
talk to your buddy about the latest game
finish beer
crack a new one
scratch head
MAYBE pull out a book
realize it is out of your league
shut hood
drink another beer
take truck to proper mechanic to do the belt correctly :idea:... in 20 mins :D (okay, i might have exaggerated that one a whee bit. but VERY easy job to do)
pass out
stop the clock when finally sober)

never said parts are cheap or plentiful, now did I?o_O
but since you brought it up, how often do you NEED parts for these engines?:slap:
you have owned how many Toyota diesel engines? for how long?
Wow this should be added on how to do a timing belt under the stickies :/! Powerchoke better than a Cummins ok now I really know you've fallen off your rocking chair lol...

Cummins lovers are SOOO easy to bug ...
I like my Powersmoke, it does the job that i expect it to.
now, IF toyota made a diesel that would do the job i need then i will thumb all NA vehicles. period.

i heard rumors of this ...
i also heard rumors that the 1HZ is going "E" in the next year or so to meet the emissions requirements, that is going to suck.
with the 70 series being discontinued there will be more and more mini trucks heading underground. it will be interesting to see how many hours they hold up for.
i deal with Ens and Millers so my info is pretty accurate.
Underground run diesels because of carbon monoxide. They also need smaller vehicles. We have a 2nd gen Tacoma with a 3.3 Cummins sitting on diamond axles and 80 series arms for our underground ambulance. We also have powerstrokes, all surface stuff is gas fords.

So idk if it tells me anything.

I work at a very large gold mine BTW.

In this thread: People who have never so much as looked at a Toyota diesel dispensing advice on why you shouldn't buy one

Cummins lovers are SOOO easy to bug ...
I like my Powersmoke, it does the job that i expect it to.
now, IF toyota made a diesel that would do the job i need then i will thumb all NA vehicles. period.
Guess Toyota also thought Cummins were crappy just like you... Oh that's right they are going to be offering them in their Tundra pickups soon lol...

Strange....then why were you inquiring into buying the 6BT conversion kits, if the cummins is sooooooooo bad?

You can't legally import the HDJ81 from Canada until they're 25 years old. It's right around the corner though!

Our shop does not install Cummins engines, because the 6bt and 4bt are a poor fit in a Land Cruiser (in my opinion). Take my opinion for what it's worth, what you paid for it. There are other engines out there, not made by Toyota, that are a better fit than a cummins though. Not to say that they're bad engines, just not a good fit. If you have to modify suspension to fit an engine, then you are compromising the ride. I wouldn't hold my breath for the 6bt to a442 adapters either, it's easier to just go with a 700r4 to your 80 series or 60 case, it's a better option anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom