Best diesel engine for land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I suppose it could have been. I didn't have time to ask his name, but it was in the right area

...via IH8MUD app

So my understanding is, again I have little mechanical knowledge, so please dont blast me if I get something wrong:
6bt is a powerful reliable engine but probably tricky to get installed
1hz is also very reliable and easy swap but I havent seen much on power compared to other engines? I have researched but no definitive numbers
1hdt are also good and reliable being toyota but are expensive is main complaint and same goes on power with no exact numbers being listed
I saw izuzu and mercedes along with some gm motor swaps out there but I believe they are not as common and probably have more problems was the general gist I received when reading them

6bt is very heavy. All of the dynamic properties of the car will change.
I prefer the L6 or V6 3.0 engines which are way lighter in weight and have lots of potential for making great power.
Of course not all is good about them, as they are usually driven by a few computers. Bell housing fitting is also an issue. I piggyback computer can solve the problem with the ECU, but that means more money.

1HZ - 135 hp in stock trim
HDT - 175 hp in stock trim
info easy to find
1HZ with turbo a ton of fun but depending on mods the final hp varies.
not too many actual dyno done.

6BT HP in stock form runs from 160 to 215 depending on which injection pump you have.

I have a stock 97 6BT with 215hp and 440ft/lbs.

I could of sworn id replied to this...
seems like it comes down to 1hdt, 1hz, or 6bt in my opinion. Feel free to add more info and recommendations or personal exp with the 3 or other good engine swaps

Not the best option or even a practical one due to costs, amount of electrical work/re-wiring, and of course custom fabrication. However all that being said if I had the time and money available to me right now, I'd attempt swapping an Audi/VW 3.0L V6 TDI into my LX. For those unfamiliar, it's the v6 TDI engine used in the Audi Q7 (2009 - current) which is a heavier vehicle than the FZJ80/LX450 when comparing stock vehicle curb weights.

[Q7 v6 TDI Performance]
0-to-60: 7.7sec
Top Speed: 130mph
MPG-City: 19 Highway: 28 Combined: 22

[3.0L v6 TDI Engine Specs]
Engine weight: 675 Lbs (dry)
Horsepower: 240hp @ 3,500 rpm
Torque: 406 ft. lbs @ 1,750 rpm

Another fun but impractical option would be the Duramax 6.6L V8 Diesel, which some Aussies have been swapping into 105 Series Land Cruisers (100 Series body/80Series frame & axles) and Nissan Patrols. As far as I know, nobody in NA has completed such a conversion yet...
http://piddiesel.com/2014/03/12/customer-profile-rod-lawrence-toyota-landcruiser-
105-series-solid-front-axle/

http://piddiesel.com/2013/07/13/chev-duramax-6-6l-v8-turbo-diesel/

Last edited:
MoustacheMike
those engines are cheaper than Toyota 1-HD series. Due to it's size/weight/power ratio it's probably the best choice in my opinion. But there are a number of unanswered questions about that engine. What transmission can be used? Is it a throttle-by-wire engine (as many new ones are nowadays)? ECU reflash into making it think it is still inside a VW/Audi. Piggyback ECU's are usually very expensive, almost as much as an engine in some cases.

6BT HP in stock form runs from 160 to 215 depending on which injection pump you have.

215hp Cummins stock... no big deal...

215hp Cummins stock... no big deal...

wow thanks for the extra info, also love hearing those other swaps. I wonder if anyone has done a VW diesel swap or anything like from a touraeg or something else tht size.

audi engine sounds fxxxing sweet especially since its used in a bigger vehicle but the electronics worry me bc they are always prone to failure and are just more of a hassle

Here's what the VW/AUDI (VAG) engine measurements are: length: 444 mm (17.5 in), mass: 219 kilograms (483 lb)
Weight distribution over the front axle would improve dramatically.

That sort of conversion is not something a backyard hobbyist mechanic should ever take on without a serious electrical and mechanical engineering background. Way too many rabbit holes to go down. Unless you are willing to drop serious $$$ into R&D, try to stick with mechanical or well understood swaps.

wow thanks for the extra info, also love hearing those other swaps. I wonder if anyone has done a VW diesel swap or anything like from a touraeg or something else tht size.

audi engine sounds ****ing sweet especially since its used in a bigger vehicle but the electronics worry me bc they are always prone to failure and are just more of a hassle

the 151 is a long tranny and the HDT just barely fits into a 40/70 engine bay.
caution when deciding which engine to install into which vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom