Before I throw this 3-speed away... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Any parts I should save? Background: 1974 FJ55, came with three speed tranny and transfer. Swapped in a four speed tranny and transfer from a 1975 FJ55.

Trying to make room in my yard and garage, so I'm thinking I'll take the three speed setup to the recyclers. Any parts you'd all recommend picking off first? Maybe the e-brake... What else?

Thanks everyone!

The Transfer is worth saving for anyone doing an SM420/SM465 swap. The bellhousing, too, is worth saving. None of these are huge, but they are not making them now so....

The front bearing retainer makes a good candlestick.

I have over 30 at the moment, but I would still make a home for it if it were local.

There's a guy over in classifieds looking for a nose cone. You can probably make his day. Then maybe send me a couple of other bits for a commission.;)

The 3 speed transfer case can also be used with a 4 speed transmission by swapping out the input gear.
Maybe offer it as a $40? take-it-all package for local pickup.
Somebody will want to store at least the transfer case as a spare and it won't get melted down.
I have 3 in the back of my barn but would still pick it up if it were local.

Thanks guys, sounds like there are a few options. A gent just sent a PM re shipping the transfer case to him, so that's probably gone. If not I'll circle back around. Nice to not send this to recycling!

It's Cruiser Karma, plain and simple.

Decent 3 speed transmission guts are actually getting hard to find. I recently did a rebuild and it required dismantling 3 different 3 speed transmissions in order to make one good rebuilt unit. You may pull the top cover and off and check the gears, especially 1st/reverse gear to see how it looks.

Decent 3 speed transmission guts are actually getting hard to find. I recently did a rebuild and it required dismantling 3 different 3 speed transmissions in order to make one good rebuilt unit. You may pull the top cover and off and check the gears, especially 1st/reverse gear to see how it looks.

That was one of the pieces I was hoping to 'earn' as a commission for helping sell the tcase. LOL.

That was one of the pieces I was hoping to 'earn' as a commission for helping sell the tcase. LOL.

SO... went out of town for a much needed vacation. 9-days in central America (just a few cruisers down there, I might add). Returned late last night and found out that, in my absence, some industrious little street urchin took ALL the apparent scrap I had sitting against my garage, facing the alley. Out of fairness, much of it did appear to be scrap (axle housings, Monroe shocks, etc.) but I sure as hell wish he/she would have asked before lifting it all from me.

I'll look for other ways to continue contributing to the "Cruiser Karma". For now, hope the individual that took my parts did something entertaining with the $15 he/she got from Pacific Recycling. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom