Builds "Dumpie" my new Fj45 work truck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

whitey45

SILVER Star
Threads
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG
Found this Fj45 recently and just had to have it! 1967 Fj45 lwb with a custom dump bed and factory pto. Originally a california truck, ended up in grants pass Oregon since 1994. Now back in california! Aside from the dump bed it is amazingly original and very straight. Pass floor has a couple rust holes, but surprisingly free of rust. These trucks are built so well and after just turning 50, this girl is going back to work! It has been sitting for 10+ years and was seized. The po said he put diesel in the cylinders but couldn't free it up.( It has an f155). I pulled the distributor to prime the oil pump and couldn't believe what I saw. Diesel fuel pouring out of the dist hole!!! If anyone was wondering how much fluid an f engine can hold..... 10. Yes 10 gallons of diesel!!!! I think the po filled the engine from the oil fill cap? So after draining and putting fresh oil in, I grabbed my go to chain wrench and a 4 ft cheater bar and slowly eased the crank back and forth until it freed up. Turns out only one cylinder was rusty. Popped the key and she spins free! Cleared out the cylinders, installed the plugs, fresh gas and bam, fired up and idled!! Didn't even touch the carb. Runs great and no smoke, simply amazing engines. This 45 has a lot of its original bits, jack, rods, original rk3 spare!, fuse cover, fd knob, mirror, elephant horns, dome light,horn relay cover, a lot of the bits that seem to go missing over the years. I do a lot of dump runs and hauling, always wanted to use a 45 and this is perfect. The bed is funky but well built, I do have an original bed and have thought to run it on this dump frame? But this bed has been on this truck for at least 30 years if not more. It has one paint job over the original blue( full in and out) I am experimenting with paint removal trying to get down to the original paint. Another amazing thing is all the electrical and lights work. Slowly getting it back to service, need to do the brake hydraulics, fluids, etc, but did drive it down the road today, the feeling never gets old!

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

Very cool Whitey! The bed doesn't look that bad. Leave it and run it. Coupe will enjoy going to the dumps even more now! Now add it to the vin list.

Awesome

Nice find.

I'm going to do a 3-way dump with mine what hydraulic pump are you using? I'm tjinknof using the inimitable pump but they are expensive so options are welcome.

Amazing Truck. !!!

Congrats

:cheers:

Nice!! You scored an RTM too whitey! Love the first fire up yarn!!

Nice
My bro had very good luck with graffiti removal from home depot for getting back to original paint on his 52VW. Timing issue but worked out perfect.

Brian, very nice.... right out of my back yard.

IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG
Thanks guys, I've had a lot of 45's over the years and this one is unique for sure! Todt, I will try the graffiti removal, thanks, would love to find a split window beetle! Something I have never seen and looks to be original is the pto shifter boot and trim? No trapdoor lockout? I did find a pic of an fj55 with the same boot and trim ring? Any input is welcome from the pto guys. It is a late 67, maybe they used 68 fj55 parts? Here is a pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom