Builds Back in a 60 series - 1HZ Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some progress getting the motor put back together. Waiting on a valve cover gasket to come in this week. I cleaned up the heat shield with a wire wheel and did a high temp clear coat on it to try to keep it from rusting. We'll see how it goes.

20180429_152146.jpg

Some updates. With the help of @mudgudgeon , I was able to find a 1HD-FTE turbo with low miles in Australia (thanks Nathan for shipping it). I need to pull the old one (really good shape) and put it up for sale now to help cover the purchase.

20180505_130951.jpg
20180505_130926.jpg

Nice write up Dave.

Turbo'd 1HZ should go well in a 60 man.

Yes, they look to be identical. I think Denso must have licensed the injection pump design from Bosch. Should be able to tune it like my old 4BT.

FYI, any VE rotary injection pump has been licensed from Bosch, so Denso, Bosch, Zexel VE pumps are all mostly identical with some minor differences to casings. Knowing this can make it easier to source seals, parts or a suitable diesel shop.
VE pumps are used in a huge range of vehicles, and most parts are interchangeable whether its a 3, 4, 5, or 6 cylinder version of the VE pump

So I took the turbo off and put it up for sale in the classifieds. Now I need to start cleaning up the transfer case and H55. The transfer case is currently bolted onto a R151 tranny. The combo came off of a HZJ73 I think and has the larger diameter idler shaft on the transfer case. The H55 was from a mine truck. Looks like it's in good shape. Just a little dirty though .

20180508_222304.jpg
20180508_223148.jpg

Hey Alec! The mounts came from Georg you can PM him at @orangefj45 . He also has a website now www.cruisebrothers.com .

I got the engine with the transfer/tranny and new bell housing. You can get the bell housing from @beno or cruiserparts.net. Beno can hook you up with the clutch stuff too. Another option is Kurt @cruiseroutfit www.cruiseroutfitters.com.

We stock the the bellhousing, clutch kit, clutch fork, boot, etc and of course the H55F for the 1HZ to H55F conversion. Let us know!

Power washed some parts today and also painted the H55.

20180512_120545.jpg

20180512_134306.jpg

Almost finished taking the split case apart. The last gear wouldn't come off though. Need to get a three arm puller.

20180512_134101.jpg

Last edited:
Made some progress yesterday with the transfer case. The last gear came off easily with a three arm puller. Check out the funky spud shaft on the R151 transmission.

20180514_194633.jpg

Going to have to order some gaskets and a 5th gear oiler from @cruiseroutfit . Weird that this newer transmission didn't have the oiler.

Also, I'm going to have to tap and plug this one bolt hole. It isn't used with the H55.

H55Plug.JPG

Tonight I disassembled the new 1HD-FTE turbo to get it ready for a rebuild. It's in great shape and wasn't too difficult to open up. The reason for rebuilding it is I noticed a tiny bit of radial play. No axial play though. Just need to find a good rebuild kit. Any recommendations?

20180515_203538.jpg
20180515_203545.jpg

transfer case. The last gear came off easily with a three arm puller.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Can you share pic of three arm puller you used?

Ok, so doing some research on the turbo it shows that it is a CT26 "small" which shares the same rebuild parts as a CT20b. I'd like to get a Melett kit, but can't find a source online.

Last edited:
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Can you share pic of three arm puller you used?

It was a generic 8" one you can borrow from any parts store.

I noticed some pruning clippers in your turbo pic. I've never tried using those to help separate a turbo...:lol:

Glad it came apart easily.

Ha. I used those to open the box that the turbo came in. They're handy for cutting wire, too. :)

I spent yesterday evening degreasing and power washing the split case. There was black paint in it so I decided to primer it and get it ready for some grey or silver paint paint. Once that's done, I can seal it up with new gaskets that I got from Kurt .

The turbo rebuild kit should be here in Saturday!

20180517_223248.jpg

Great stuff - keep it coming. My 1HZ is still on the pallet in the garage (I need to work less and wrench more), but 2 kids, 4 dogs and a job kinda cut into the rig time. At least I got the :princess: to support the 1HZ purchase last year :D Now I just have to go thru it and get it installed. Scariest part for me is that I need to swap the input shaft on my H55 thats currently bolted to the 2F in my truck. :confused:

I hear you. I'm trying to get the engine tranny mated before my summer class starts up next week. Between work, teenage son, wife, and classes, I'm forced to do whatever I can in the small amount of free time I have.

The reason for rebuilding it is I noticed a tiny bit of radial play. No axial play though.

That sounds normal. There's usually a tiny bit if radial play because the shaft runs on journal bearings and actually floats on a film of pressurized oil, the play will be the clearance between shaft and journal. Without the oil there, there's a tiny bit of play.

There is a procedure for measuring shaft play in the 1HD-T/1HZ engine repair FSM

You don't want any axial play at all. Axial play can allow blades to contact the housing if it's bad enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom