Anyone done a Texas inspection recently? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RiverCityDave

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rivercitycruiser.life
I’m putting my engine back together, (1994) and Im waffling on putting the EGR back on. It’s disabled either way, but I’d love to just put the block off plates on the head and intake for a number of reasons. Since we are all over 25 years now, the reg says we get just a “safety” inspection, but honestly, I looked at the DMV site for a while today, and it‘s a little vague about whether they do the full visual inspection on the emissions systems.

For the record, my EGR (and PAIR) has been disabled for a number of years, and the last time it was tailpipe tested, it blew the test away. It was, in some cases, twice as clean as the minimum standard. All that is for nothing if I leave it off, and the inspectors do an under hood visual inspection though.

Thoughts?

I don't think I've ever been to an inspector in this general area that lifted the hood. Is that something others have experienced?

I had my ‘80 FJ40 inspected recently and it was a simple safety inspection.

He basically checked that all the lights were working and that there no CEL on (no CEL in my truck).

As long as your blinkers, hazards, brake lights, running lights and license plate lights are in good order you should be fine.

It was $7

My understanding is that 22 years or older, it’s just a safety inspection. My 83 FJ60 has an ‘04 Chevy vortec and they’ve never opened the hood.

Ok, I am in the Manchaca area, and the place I take it to did not open the hood on my 60 last month, you can probably find similar up north

Ok, I am in the Manchaca area, and the place I take it to did not open the hood on my 60 last month, you can probably find similar up north
There is a guy i usually go to who is generally solid, I just didnt know if it was standard for them to do an under hood inspection or not. I didnt want to ask him to do anything unsavory for me. If he CHOSE to of his own accord, that is something else.

The actual certifier or for all Austin area inspection stations is a friend of mine, but he just quotes the book.

They don't look at anything under the hood. For vehicles that do require emission testing, they don't use the tailpipe test anymore, it's done via OBD. I asked the guy a few months ago how that works when I took one of my newer vehicles in. Pretty neat.

The inspector said they have to fail any vehicle regardless of year if a CEL is on.

My understanding is that 22 years or older, it’s just a safety inspection. My 83 FJ60 has an ‘04 Chevy vortec and they’ve never opened the hood.
it's 25 years or older. Texas Vehicle Inspection Program - https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

starting in 2025, you won't even need the annual inspection.

and yes, that means if you register as a "classic" car (> 25 years old, no advertising on the vehicle) you can run year of manufacture Texas plates and not have to get an annual inspection.

Last edited:
I had my ‘80 FJ40 inspected recently and it was a simple safety inspection.

He basically checked that all the lights were working and that there no CEL on (no CEL in my truck).

As long as your blinkers, hazards, brake lights, running lights and license plate lights are in good order you should be fine.

It was $7

If your truck is under 80" wide, they're supposed to look at the following:

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts (technically not required prior to 1967)
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (3) 1994 and newer; (2) if 1960-1993; (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
21. Window Tint.

I went to a place called Flashpoint, I believe they have multiple locations around Austin. It’s a turn and burn inspection joint.

After a brief wait in line, it took maybe 10min.
I don’t recall them testing or trying 1/3 of what Gonzo above listed.

Easy peasy.

Back when I had this in the grill of my 40, I took it in for an inspection at Jiffy Lube. The guy came out and exclaimed "I never knew Chevy made a Jeep!".

I guess that's why he was a Jiffy Lube "mechanic". ;)

1697633182885.jpeg

it's 25 years or older. Texas Vehicle Inspection Program - https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

starting in 2025, you won't even need the annual inspection.

and yes, that means if you register as a "classic" car (> 25 years old, no advertising on the vehicle) you can run year of manufacture Texas plates and not have to get an annual inspection.

Except a lot of the people on this forum will still need an annual emissions test, because we live in Travis County or WilCo.

You don't have to register as a classic car to run YOM plates, my 40 has them. Also, you only get out of the annual inspection if you register it as an antique, not as a classic.

Clicky

Yup, I know the difference between antique and classic. You can’t drive an antique as much, legally.

As of Jan 1, 2025 you won’t need an inspection for classic registration.

Last edited:
Back when I had this in the grill of my 40, I took it in for an inspection at Jiffy Lube. The guy came out and exclaimed "I never knew Chevy made a Jeep!".

I guess that's why he was a Jiffy Lube "mechanic". ;)

View attachment 3459129
This picture made me throw up in my mouth a little bit… the bezel and the bow tie…

To each their own.

I went to a place called Flashpoint, I believe they have multiple locations around Austin. It’s a turn and burn inspection joint.

After a brief wait in line, it took maybe 10min.
I don’t recall them testing or trying 1/3 of what Gonzo above listed.

I took the 76 fj40 (35s, lift, SBC) and the 89 fj62 (100% stock, a mere 130k miles) to the quick inspection place on Guad and 38th (by the car wash). Did both the same day in about an hour.

Guy had me drive them for the on-road portion. Real friendly.

Sticker Stop on 620 opens the hood and looks for low fluid levels or leaks. Otherwise, I'm in and out pretty quick usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom