Any tricks to transmission or bell housing removal? & water in gear oil. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to get through to change the clutch on a 77.

I removed the two top bolts and 3 per side on the bell housing then with trans and t case (and engine) supported tried to wobble/force/move everything back. When I got frustrated with that, I disconnected the four bolts around the trans and thought that seal would be easier.. no such luck. Before I start with BFH and a 2x4 - ideas?

Also - both the t-case and the trans had water in the gear oil - any favorite spots water likes to get in or am I just looking at new gaskets/seals all the way around?

Trying to get through to change the clutch on a 77.

I removed the two top bolts and 3 per side on the bell housing then with trans and t case (and engine) supported tried to wobble/force/move everything back. When I got frustrated with that, I disconnected the four bolts around the trans and thought that seal would be easier.. no such luck. Before I start with BFH and a 2x4 - ideas?

Also - both the t-case and the trans had water in the gear oil - any favorite spots water likes to get in or am I just looking at new gaskets/seals all the way around?

The flywheel has to be removed in order to remove the bellhousing. To remove the transmission, remove the bolts to the bell housing and then gently use a small pry bar to separate the transmission from the bell housing. Make sure to secure the trans/transfer or you'll drop or risking damage to it or yourself.

The input shaft is probably just corroded to your pilot bearing at the rear of the crank.

Thanks folks, still stuck, although I now can get 1/16" gap between the transmission and bell housing, so there is hope - perhaps the crappy transmission fluid allowed things to seize up in there - wish i had a giant puller... will take a fresh run at it tomorrow.

Thx re water getting in, it has been through a river or two, not submerged, but plenty of opportunity for splashing. Will still open everything and reseal though.

BTW, the trans and t-case are fully supported by an engine lift and the engine itself has a jack under it, should be ok from a safety perspective.

If it won't slide right out, then it is likely that the nose of the transmission input shaft is friction welded to the pilot bearing inner race in the crankshaft as noted above. Your options are limited: You just have to man up and put a come along or winch on the tranny and pull real hard and then get a 6 foot pry bar in there and pry it. Ain't no other way.

LOL - and that, Pin Head, right there, is why i love working on these old trucks...

"man up and put a come along or winch on the tranny and pull real hard and then get a 6 foot pry bar in there and pry it. Ain't no other way"

Thanks for the advice, will hook things up in the AM,

Thanks!

What part of town are you in?
I've pulled the engine, tans/TC several times, I could come over and give a hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom