Another One!... 1994 FZJ80 LS/4L60E Swap (Budget, Hopefully) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another build thread for an LS Swap. I'll be posting the budget and parts spreadsheet when all is said and done. The haters say it can't be done for less than $5k. I say bring it on!

Starting vehicle is a 1994 FZJ80 I bought back in May 2018. Here is the previous owner's build thread for those curious: Builds - My first Land Cruiser (Now official overland/camping build thread) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-first-land-cruiser-now-official-overland-camping-build-thread.954730/

This is my first build thread on MUD so be gentle haha. This is just for the engine swap and won't detail everything else I've done to the truck. I may make another thread for that at some point.

It all started a few weeks ago, found out I have a blown head gasket (cyl. 5 and 6, 53 psi), plus the AC is on its way out, and the trans is starting to slip a little. at close to 300k, Mr. Toyota says its time. I will be selling the 1FZ and trans in a few months, so DM me if you're interested. I just don't want to put the money into a motor that is only making 212 hp, and since I live in FL, a highway drive is needed for any fun trips, and this trans is not not really the most fun trying to keep up with traffic on the interstate.

I had a solid find, a 2002 GMC Yukon XL Denali 1500 for $700. AWD transmission, so wrong spud shaft for this project, but the motor (LQ4, 6.0L) is making 40psi oil pressure at idle, easy start up with 300k on the odometer. Drove the truck around, loaded it on the trailer, brought it home. Plan right now is to scrap the truck body, sell the trans and transfer case. Trading the rear end to my dad for a 4L60E he pulled out of a 2wd suburban that became the donor 6.0 LS for his 4WD C10 project.

Got the oil pan needed to clear the front driveshaft off of amazon for $206.00.

Amazon product ASIN B00BZR4ZW6
Ordered my exhaust manifolds and gaskets from Summit today. I went with universal swap manifolds to hopefully clear the frame rails.

I'm planning on using some super sweet, super custom, prototype motor mounts from CruiserMatt's Off-Road.

Right now the plan is to pull the drivetrain next weekend and start working on the wiring harness and ECU. Bummer at the moment is lack of availability of the Marks 4WD/ Advanced 4L60E to HF2A adapter. If anyone is selling that adapter, hit me up!

TTFN!

You can probably sell a lot of the Yukon body parts and make some money back. What's up with the marks 4wd parts?
Yep, going to scrap the body, should be able to get about $500 for that, and another $500-$700 for the cats, selling the trans and transfer case for cheap for someone that needs a core, also selling the 1fzfe and A442. Hopefully make some money back!

Advanced Adapters is the main distributor for the Marks 4WD 4L60E to HF2A trans to transfer case adapter I need for my swap in the US, everywhere else, like Summit, Jegs, Cruiser Outfitters, dropships directly from AA, and AA only orders from Marks when that part is needed and probably COVID related, but AA is quoting a 3/30/22 ship date at the earliest right now, which is a bit of a bummer, as I was hoping to have the whole swap wrapped up by then.

Yep, going to scrap the body, should be able to get about $500 for that, and another $500-$700 for the cats, selling the trans and transfer case for cheap for someone that needs a core, also selling the 1fzfe and A442. Hopefully make some money back!

Advanced Adapters is the main distributor for the Marks 4WD 4L60E to HF2A trans to transfer case adapter I need for my swap in the US, everywhere else, like Summit, Jegs, Cruiser Outfitters, dropships directly from AA, and AA only orders from Marks when that part is needed and probably COVID related, but AA is quoting a 3/30/22 ship date at the earliest right now, which is a bit of a bummer, as I was hoping to have the whole swap wrapped up by then.
Have you tried ordering right from marks in Australia? Last time I did I got parts delivered to my door in like a week.

:cool:

Have you tried ordering right from marks in Australia? Last time I did I got parts delivered to my door in like a week.
I reached out to them the other day but they are closed until 1/17 for their holiday break. Fingers crossed though!

Well exhaust manifolds arrived today. Looking good on all fronts as long as I can get the adapter sorted. Hoping to get ahold of Marks on 1/17 when they are back in the office.

PXL_20220111_234258563.jpg

Update!

Motor is pulled (trans and transfer case up for sale if anyone is interested, 4l60E), scrapped the Yukon body for $300, recycled the cats for $200, so making back a little bit of profit there!

Was able to get the adapter direct from Marks! Should be here Friday. I have also received all the other accessories (new intake manifold gasket, rear main seal, power steering pump, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, just waiting on AC compressor). I got everything pressure washed and cleaned.

My throttle body was DBW, but for ease of install, I'll be repinning everything and using a DBC throttle body. I pulled the old crumbly loom and electrical tap off the harness and sprayed down and degreased (it was nasty).

Next step is to send of my ECU to be reprogrammed and work through the wiring harness, paring it down. Nothing super exciting at the moment, but necessary small steps of progress are being made.

More photos por favor. :popcorn:

Only skimmed through the thread, but sounds just like me. Haha

-Florida
-94 80
-2002 Yukon XL
and
-“Watch me do this for 5k”

I'm about to go this route I think, except I'm adding a snail and an atlas.

Only skimmed through the thread, but sounds just like me. Haha

-Florida
-94 80
-2002 Yukon XL
and
-“Watch me do this for 5k”
Lol love it! And were you successful? I hope to be under 2k when all is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom