Custom idiot lights on instrument panel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone attempted to make there own icon?
I have a few empty blanks I would like to put them to use.

I’m thinking I can use a #74 T5 wired pigtail

But not sure how to go about creating the icons

C76D53A7-663A-4CC6-8B8D-D3A38B71DA71.jpeg

I was thinking I can use the banks for:

winch enable
Low water/meth level
Aux lights
Filter minder light

Has anyone attempted to make there own icon?
I have a few empty blanks I would like to put them to use.

I’m thinking I can use a #74 T5 wired pigtail

But not sure how to go about creating the icons

View attachment 3414988
I was thinking I can use the banks for:

winch enable
Low water/meth level
Aux lights
Filter minder light
That would be cool. What does the back of the plate look like?

You'd probably need a graphic designer or make something yourself in a program like Illustrator, then work with a sticker or vinyl shop perhaps to get the color of the icon printed in a transparent color on black?

Or have two layers - one color layer, and one black layer with the icon cut out. Sounds tricky but I'm sure some print shop knows how to do it

I've cut in sections from other cluster plates to add the cruise control and a low oil pressure light to my dash. Didn't make the icons though, it was just chopping out a graphic from one Toyota icon plate and meshing it with my one. That could be a way to go for icons that have a "standard" image from other models though, like the air filter one you mentioned. That's why I did the oil pressure light that way, mine had the gauge, but I wanted the light as well, so I got the Toyota one from another vehicle.

Been goofing around with different model spec clusters and the HDJ81 has a filter reminder iirc. "just chopping out a graphic from one Toyota icon plate and meshing it with my one" @DivByZero is the same way I did my cluster. If the cuts are square and clean it's impossible to tell the different icons are grafted together because there is a space / divider in the light housing / dash behind the icon. Just get some of the T5 and housing and two wires neg ground trigger is easiest IMO. It actually works!

Yeah, pretty sure my hdj81 had a filter warning light.
If not, other models did. Hzj105 definitely had one, probably doesn't help in North America though.

There a printable switch label sheet thread in 80 tech, I think NLXTACY started it. Might be worth a look. It was intended for relabelling OEM illuminated switches

I wonder if I can tape off the section and polish it down then apply a sticker or make a template.

there is some sort of coating on the back side i think it gets transparent past that layer

I wonder if I can tape off the section and polish it down then apply a sticker or make a template.

there is some sort of coating on the back side i think it gets transparent past that layer

If you can get hold of one to experiment on, you might be on to something.

I couple of times I've made simple printed circuit boards for a project.
After designing the circuits on the computer, I reversed the image, then printed the image with the darkest print setting possible with an inkjet printer, onto glossy photographic paper, the used a clothes iron to transfer the ink onto a blank piece of circuit board. Then acid solution is used to etch away the copper.
The ink protects what you want to keep.

Similar technique might be possible with the lighting screen. Use a solvent to remove the black backing.

If you can get hold of one to experiment on, you might be on to something.

I couple of times I've made simple printed circuit boards for a project.
After designing the circuits on the computer, I reversed the image, then printed the image with the darkest print setting possible with an inkjet printer, onto glossy photographic paper, the used a clothes iron to transfer the ink onto a blank piece of circuit board. Then acid solution is used to etch away the copper.
The ink protects what you want to keep.

Similar technique might be possible with the lighting screen. Use a solvent to remove the black backing.
never done circuit boards but it seems like when developing film you make a negative I've watched some YouTube videos on circuit boards learn something new thanks

Last edited:
I think I can use some transparent sticker paper and my laser printer
7BD2728E-7EBE-42C2-ADE8-D5E16425B4B6.jpeg
B107503F-63BC-4C31-B18D-FF1831C33F5A.jpeg

That’s awesome
Thanks I’m just playing with the idea. That’s the piece laying on top of my computer screen with paint shop I think I can get it to look OEM. I have 4 empty slots behind the instrument panel and I’d like to put them to good use.

That's cool. 👍
I'd say don't go too fine on the details. Keep the graphics basic and bold
I have some transparent laser sticker paper I'm going to give that a try... simple graphics I think I can handle I'm not much of a Bob Ross.

trying to figure out how to size an image perfectly looks like my square is 21mm x 21mm

maybe i can squeeze a warn logo in there for my winch

1693467775685.png

may have to make my own icons unless i can find some to download and resize online

im looking for low washerflud level icon for the water/meth

1693468876769.png

clogged air filter
1693469124449.png

i donno theres a lot of icons out there.

Anyone know if it would be possible to rig an indicator lamp that would tell us when the headlights were on?? As everyone knows our model doesn't have that function, High Beam indicator lamp only.

Anyone know if it would be possible to rig an indicator lamp that would tell us when the headlights were on?? As everyone knows our model doesn't have that function, High Beam indicator lamp only.

Head lights turn off automatically. What more could be helpful. I surely would not want a light on while I was driving.

Head lights turn off automatically. What more could be helpful. I surely would not want a light on while I was driving.
All the new stuff has an indicator light to tell you your lights are on because the dash lights are on 100% of the time.

Our old trucks don't have that, but I cannot tell when my headlights are on during the day, other than I cannot read my clock. The dash lights aren't bright enough to show me, and I'm ok with that.

That's a great idea because I've left my lights on many times
you could just tap in to one of the lights that are on when your light swich if on...
example park light. you can use a bulb that's not super bright so it is not blinding and use one of the empty spots

I've forgotten (more than once) to turn the stalk all the way (so only the Park lamps are on) and didn't notice my headlamps weren't on in brightly lit business areas at night (until I got pulled over by 5-0).

As mentioned above, all newer vehicles have an indication on the instrument cluster that the headlamps are on, or not, but it's not as bright as the High Beam indicator lamp is so isn't a distraction.

Last edited:
I've forgotten (more than once) to turn the stalk all the way (so only the Park lamps are on) and didn't notice my headlamps weren't on in brightly lit business areas (until I got pulled over by 5-0).

As mentioned above, all newer vehicles have an indication that the headlamps are on but it's not as bright as the High Beam indicator lamp is.
Seems pretty easy to do just wire up one of your extra empty guage slots to your headlamp switch so the indicator is on the same time the lights are on.

Here is a indicator for headlight on
0FD3070B-EF0D-4A27-A1D1-C72A01F26E5D.jpeg

I have my screen scaled to the same size as the notification panel so I can test and see what symbols I like to use.

I’m also using a free vector app called Inkscape it’s like a free version of adobe illustrator.

And I use a free vector converter online I can take any image and vectorize it.

Vectorizer.AI

A52AF686-2D70-443C-A40D-AD4845054E9A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom