A442F Transmission Fluid Level (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to drop my pan and change my transmission fluid. Will clean the metal
screen of the valve body also while the pan is down.
My question is how many quarts of transmission fluid does the A442F hold?
What type of automatic transmission fluid is everyone using or the best ATF to use??
How often is everyone changing their ATF?
Thanks John

Do not know for the fluid change frequency... but this should help you for your other questions :
at.jpg

obviously, you may use ATF Dextron III

David Thank for that page of info.
Is there a A442F transmission service manual that I can download?

Get some pics for us pls. I'd be interested in seeing the pan residue and the pickup screen.

Get some pics for us pls. I'd be interested in seeing the pan residue and the pickup screen.

Will do as soon as I get tranny fluid. Its suppose to be nice this Saturday so I will try and get this done.
I can't wait to see inside this pan myself. This HDJ81 only has 72,000 miles on it. Hopefully everything looks good in there.

There is quite a bit about this on the 80 series forum. There may be some recommendations for improving the shifting too. I remember something from when I had an 80 with this transmission. Trans dump or something.... A better clean doing it running or something.

I also remember some folk using a cleaner for a 100 miles or such then changing the fluid.

brownbear said:
Transmission Filter Clean Results

Showing the FJ62 thread. The transmission is the same as yours. Also there is a flush called a Rodney Flush. Check into that.

Thanks Brownbear!! I read about the Rodney Flush years ago when I had a FJ62 Tranny giving me problems. I ended up just
swapping the tranny for a used one instead of Rodney Flush or rebuild.
Do you have a link for the Rodney Flush??

I don't have a link in mind. But I would recommend searching on the 60 series and 80 series forums.

Also with transmissions if they are working I tend to not touch them. Smell the fluid and if it's not burnt smelling or dark colour I leave it alone.

Lots of folk believe in magnets on the bottom pan too, to try and collect the fragments before a change.

Do the 62 guys have a preferred tranny fluid?

I've been running Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic since December of 2016, after hearing about it from some Arizona Cruiser folk and doing some reading on this site. I also plan on doing the drain and fill for the ATF same time as the oil change. Valvoline Maxlife full synth is in the power steering system too.

I know folk who have seen a 10f drop by using Lubegard Red. I run it in my truck as well.

Do you have an external cooler and an atf gauge?

hth's
gb

I've been running Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic since December of 2016, after hearing about it from some Arizona Cruiser folk and doing some reading on this site. I also plan on doing the drain and fill for the ATF same time as the oil change. Valvoline Maxlife full synth is in the power steering system too.

I know folk who have seen a 10f drop by using Lubegard Red. I run it in my truck as well.

Do you have an external cooler and an atf gauge?

hth's
gb

Greg No external tranny cooler yet or gauge.

Hi All
Just changed the valve body in my trans. While pan was off i noticed the dipstick actually goes up in the oil, not down. See pic. This seems odd???
The oil pick up is 3" below pan rails, so i would assume oil level should be about 1" below rails when full?? Put 5 litres back in and oil level on dipstick reads full but wondering now if that is correct? No way to tell with pan on.
IMG_7786.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg
IMG_7789.jpg
IMG_7788.jpg

Hi All
Just changed the valve body in my trans. While pan was off i noticed the dipstick actually goes up in the oil, not down. See pic. This seems odd???
The oil pick up is 3" below pan rails, so i would assume oil level should be about 1" below rails when full?? Put 5 litres back in and oil level on dipstick reads full but wondering now if that is correct? No way to tell with pan on.

1681500642940.png

David Thank for that page of info.
Is there a A442F transmission service manual that I can download?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom