Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Came expecting carnage. Leaving disappointed.
I’m waiting on my 3/4 breaker to come in today. Once I break torque on my crank bolt I’ll be pulling the drivetrain. The point is, there is more to come.

I suggest paining the short block now. I have yet to see one which has good paint on it from Toyota. If it is like all the others I have seen you will want to take it to bare metal and clean it. Toyota paints over oil.

Cheers

I suggest paining the short block now. I have yet to see one which has good paint on it from Toyota. If it is like all the others I have seen you will want to take it to bare metal and clean it. Toyota paints over oil.

Cheers
Copy all on the paint, Ian. Thanks for the advice.

Have you ever seen a short block come from Toyota with all that white powder everywhere? Any recommended ways to clean such a mess? The powder and crystal is literally on and in every surface.

Copy all on the paint, Ian. Thanks for the advice.

Have you ever seen a short block come from Toyota with all that white powder everywhere? Any recommended ways to clean such a mess? The powder and crystal is literally on and in every surface.

Ya but not so bad. That is one of those anti-moisture packages. It busted open and your block crushed it. PITA to clean up and get it all out of the block.

Cheers

Nice work Pell! We all knew you would get there. I have a 105 upgraded box in my rig, and I really don't drive in a way that would need it. I sourced the sector shaft, Pitman, nut/washer and something else from overseas, sourced a used steering box, and had it all rebuilt by a shop. I got a 40 series box sent back to me, but that's a long story. All in, I didn't hit $1k. (pre-2020 dollars though).
Also,, I really don't understand our 80 series hood cowl design. It's just a debris vacuum.

Been slow going. Got sick af and haven’t been able to wrench, but have been getting the last few bits and pieces of parts and tools trickling in while I am on the mend.

Check this sweet piece of precision straight edge that came in. Thanks to @baldilocks for the reminder to grab one. You all should know by now my love for things not made in China and for things made in our great country. Or Japan. The extra cost is worth it to me.
BFCA5B1F-8F01-4C60-9CBA-224ED94F424A.jpeg
417A8B30-79D2-4E77-8B5D-4304F5555E59.jpeg

Um? Oh, a simple way to check the block deck flatness. I get it now. I thought this was for cutting against and I was questioning the length and the price. Carry on.

You know the block is flat and you have to sent the head in anyways. 🤷‍♂️
Still a nice piece 😎

I’m waiting on my 3/4 breaker to come in today. Once I break torque on my crank bolt I’ll be pulling the drivetrain. The point is, there is more to come.
No go with 1/2” air impact?

Do you need a crank tool ?
I have one just pay for the ride round trip. 😉

What did you use for primer and paint?
9B540702-8A0B-43C3-AE1B-22CFA83BE7B7.jpeg

This is the lineup of what I used. I’d say that Aircraft remover is a PITA to use. Not worth the mess maybe. I didn’t like working with it but maybe the alternative is worse.

Looking good! Will you keep everything stockish looking? Or will you paint the VC deep-purple-flame-uncut-amathyst-metallic-wrinkle coat? I have no opinions, just curious… :flipoff2:
G, as much as I like other’s blingy VCs I like the OG VC more. I tried my hand at wrinkled black my first go and I decided Iiked the contrast of the light aluminum to see leaks, discrepancies, and anything out of sort easily.

There is a much larger issue regarding paint at hand. My cruiser is in need of a paint job something serious. It is tough finding a solid painter near me and especially one I trust with my cruiser. Color is another issue. More to come, but as much as I love the emerald green, I don’t love it enough to drop that kind of coin on it. I feel a color change is in order. Decisions, decisions.

G, as much as I like other’s blingy VCs I like the OG VC more. I tried my hand at wrinkled black my first go and I decided Iiked the contrast of the light aluminum to see leaks, discrepancies, and anything out of sort easily.

There is a much larger issue regarding paint at hand. My cruiser is in need of a paint job something serious. It is tough finding a solid painter near me and especially one I trust with my cruiser. Color is another issue. More to come, but as much as I love the emerald green, I don’t love it enough to drop that kind of coin on it. I feel a color change is in order. Decisions, decisions.
I don’t envy you. Go for the patina look, spend the coin on 24” rims?

Remember to pull the cab off the frame and paint everything if you change colors.

Remember to pull the cab off the frame and paint everything if you change colors.
Yeah, I won’t forget to peel back the carpets and paint under there too. :flipoff2:

I’m considering sending the cruiser to the shop without the engine to facilitate the engine bay color change, but aside from pulling doors, hatch, windows I’m drawing the line there. Psycho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom