Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are bolt holes for engine mounts on the sides. Start there.

Do not wrap around the block for any reason.

Best thing is the engine leveler with chains into fixed points. 3 points in a triangle is best. One on each side and then one on the front or rear of the engine, but not on the part where the bell housing mounts.
Thanks brother. I bet this is hilarious for the veterans; it’s funny for me. “This dude is removing the drivetrain from his cruiser and he doesn’t even know how to lift the new short block off the pallet” 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks brother. I bet this is hilarious for the veterans; it’s funny for me. “This dude is removing the drivetrain from his cruiser and he doesn’t even know how to lift the new short block off the pallet” 🤣🤣🤣

I'm laughing. I've not done a cruiser motor but I've pulled probably a dozen over the years.

Thanks, Ian. I'm a virgin. My short block came to me in a reinforced cardboard box upside-down. If I understand you correctly, you're saying to turn it upright and install the head bolts and wrap chains around those head bolts to lift it.

How do you do it to where you're not banging the bottom end around? I'm alone; I may need to recruit some strong bros to help me.

Ya you kind of need another person to help you muscle it around and into position. They are heavy!

Cheers

Man you're productive. I drank bourbon all week and completely ignored the Cruiser in the shop and the pile of parts that need to be installed.

Also, thread is lacking comedy videos of you dropping a new short block, ****ing up your shiny new block, your foot and your concrete floor. C'mon dude, the peanut gallery needs content. :popcorn:

Sorry, @Feldrian, no carnage for you or others to see today. After my towing accident, I should have taken pictures of my crumpled front bumper, lights, AC, lines/dryer, and valance. I was too pissed off and didn't think of it. Okay, so I've been sitting around for the last few days researching how to do the following:
1. How to mount a short block from a pallet (without killing myself or the short block)
2. How to pull the 1FZ-FE drivetrain as a whole (without killing myself or the drivetrain)
3. How to separate the engine from the transmission and mount the engine onto an engine stand (without killing myself or others)

I spoke to several people on mud; I spoke to a guy a know here who said he'd help me but stood me up twice in a row which induced PTSD from my high school days and prom. So I said **** it! I'm going to do this now, and I'm going to do this myself!

I went to manhandle my block, which is about 300 lbs. I looked at it. I looked at the two engine stands in my garage. I looked at the block again. Something is missing. Oh yeah, @BILT4ME mentioned something about mounting hardware. Wait, doesn't his ****ing engine stand come with that? Nope.

Back to research. Found this thread Engine stand for 1fze - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/engine-stand-for-1fze.799074/#post-9114782 He said his Harbor Freight stand used the following hardware:

I bought everything from McMaster-Carr
- 3 each M12 x 1.25 x 90mm
- 1 each M12 x 1.25 x 120mm
- 1 each M12 x 1.25 nut
- 10 each M12 flat washers with thin-rim (24mm OD)

I added some additional bolts to fit in the head, so I bought 5 each M10 x 1.25 x 60 bolts.

NOTE: The hardware noted in the link I included DID NOT work for me; I incorrectly assumed we had the same HF stand. I was wrong and wasted money and time. In hindsight, I should've just measured my stand.

This is what worked for me:
- 3 Each M12 x 1.25 x 70mm
- 1 each M12 x 1.25 x 100mm
- 1 each M12 x 125 nut
- 8 each M12 flat washers with OD of 24mm

I will try to find a lifting eye online or something equivalent to lift this mothereffing block off the pallet.

I need to order everything because this sparrow-fart town I live in doesn't have a decent hardware store.

So the drivetrain is three-pointed, and I am literally on the cusp of pulling it.

I have to research some wire harness repair tools, like WitsEnd's prison shank, which isn't currently for sale. Other than that, I've been dropping many Benjamins online to feed this cruiser addiction.

I need to order another short block for the 40th too.

Also, I broke the sh*t out of my 1/2" drive breaker bar trying to remove my crankshaft pulley bolt. Yes, the 30mm, 304 ft-lb bolt. Time to buy another breaker bar 3/4 in drive online...

Last edited:
You sure you aren't aircraft-mechanic-overthinking this? I've managed to get plenty of short blocks on stands in the past without serious issues or damage. Maybe I just don't understand why the Toyota block is different/ more difficult. Then again, I've also pulled plenty of engine/ transmission/ transfer case combos as one unit.

Yeah, you're over thinking it.

Let me know if you need a hand next weekend. I can probably make it up for a bit. I have zero experience with pulling from an 80-series, but I’m good for comic relief and maybe I’ll learn something from your struggle before I start on mine!

You sure you aren't aircraft-mechanic-overthinking this? I've managed to get plenty of short blocks on stands in the past without serious issues or damage. Maybe I just don't understand why the Toyota block is different/ more difficult. Then again, I've also pulled plenty of engine/ transmission/ transfer case combos as one unit.

Yeah, you're over thinking it.
Well, Matt, you're probably right. The block is upside down on the pallet. It doesn't have an oil pan, and I'm staring at the internals. I need to turn this block, get the head side up, and figure out what to mount to install the hoist. I decided to buy this lifting eye bracket thing that I plan to install into the head and lift it from that. Amazon product ASIN B098WMQQ2L
Will I damage the short block if I turn it onto the exposed side of the block where the oil pan would normally sit?

Let me know if you need a hand next weekend. I can probably make it up for a bit. I have zero experience with pulling from an 80-series, but I’m good for comic relief and maybe I’ll learn something from your struggle before I start on mine!
Right on, I will let you know. I appreciate the offer!

Well, Matt, you're probably right. The block is upside down on the pallet. It doesn't have an oil pan, and I'm staring at the internals. I need to turn this block, get the head side up, and figure out what to mount to install the hoist. I decided to buy this lifting eye bracket thing that I plan to install into the head and lift it from that. Amazon product ASIN B098WMQQ2L
Will I damage the short block if I turn it onto the exposed side of the block where the oil pan would normally sit?
Why are you trying to turn it over first?

Pick it up by the engine mount location and hang it on the stand upside down. Then rotate it once hanging on the stand.

Pick it up by the engine mount location and hang it on the stand upside down. Then rotate it once hanging on the stand.
#overthinking

Depends what surface you roll it over on. I used to use anti-fatigue mats on the ground so if anything went awry I didn't mess up a casting. That said, I usually just picked up what ever needed moving with the chain hoist and dealt with it from there. I don't remember ever having an issue, although if I did it wasn't serious enough to be memorable.

If you were any closer (I'm in Va) I'd be happy to come over and help/heckle. Of course I wouldn't be good help, just help.

I used a 3/4 breaker bar from HF to loosen my hb bolt. It was cheap, like 20- something bucks.

Surely your sparrow fart town has a harbor freight?

It’s because I’m stupid. :flipoff2:

SNLC said to use headbolts, in the head. I wasn’t set on turning the block over but it was an option.

Once I get my hardware in, I’ll attack it. I’ll have enough hardware to experiment from which location to lift the engine.

My aircraft mechanic side of me needs everything to align. I need a support tool for the support tool and a detailed set of instructions to follow. 🤣

If you were any closer (I'm in Va) I'd be happy to come over and help/heckle. Of course I wouldn't be good help, just help.

I used a 3/4 breaker bar from HF to loosen my hb bolt. It was cheap, like 20- something bucks.

Surely your sparrow fart town has a harbor freight?
Thanks man, it’s warm here, and I have scotch!

Yeah, we have a few HBs near me. I bought some engine stands and an engine hoist from there. Pretty neat store; it was my first time visiting. Everything is made in China.

Come on over, I’ll supply the food and booze!

My aircraft mechanic side of me needs everything to align. I need a support tool for the support tool and a detailed set of instructions to follow. 🤣
Now I understand.........

It’s because I’m stupid. :flipoff2:

SNLC said to use headbolts, in the head. I wasn’t set on turning the block over but it was an option.

Once I get my hardware in, I’ll attack it. I’ll have enough hardware to experiment from which location to lift the engine.

Yeah, but those instructions would invariably be out of date, for a slightly different model number, written in engineer-ese or reference bolts and parts that aren't attached to the assembly.

Now I understand.........
What’s a manual? Fly by the seat of my (your) pants. I’ve unleashed crank bolts twice using the starter and the same 1/2” drive crapsman breaker bar. I’m lucky until I’m not lucky, this is well documented.

Can one fly by the seat of someone else's pants? I have a new life goal.
Pell, kick me your new info, I can mail you a shank. I'm in this new phase of lending out tools, we'll see how long it lasts.

Can one fly by the seat of someone else's pants? I have a new life goal.
Pell, kick me your new info, I can mail you a shank. I'm in this new phase of lending out tools, we'll see how long it lasts.
Thanks Mike! But I just ordered one and it’ll be here this week. Granted it isn’t a prison shank but it should do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom