85 FJ60; it's beautiful. how about the price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1985 fj60 that is almost completely unmolested. besides the wheels and bumpers it doesn't appear to have had anything done to it. I have pretty much already fallen in love with this 60 and the adventures that we could have together. I just want to make sure that I'm not jumping on one when I could find something for a better deal (Just had my first child so money is always tight) this old girl has approx. 150,000 miles on her, and she's a thing of beauty. Is $5,000 the right price? I feel like it is a good deal as a buddy of mine is selling it to me, but I just want to confirm before purchasing. your thoughts would be much appreciated.

IMG_1127.JPEG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

I'll tell you an embarrassing story. I'll admit that I wasn't a very smart car shopper.

Way, way back in 1988 I was looking for a used land cruiser to buy. Even back then they were not very common. Finally one showed up in the Tuck Trader magazine and I went to check it out. It was a 86 FJ60. Two years old. The body looked brand new except for a tiny ding in the door. The interior was perfect, except for some dog hairs in the carpet. The engine looked new to me. Very clean. The odometer read 41,000 miles.

I took it for a test drive and I liked how it drove. The engine wasn't all that peppy, but I had heard that these trucks were kinda slow.

So I bought it. $12,500 cash.
The owner delivered the car to my home, I gave him the cash and his friend that had followed him drove him back.

Two weeks later after driving the truck around, I noticed that the engine was idling not too smooth and the transmission was clanking at idle. I knew nothing about cars.

I eventually took the cruiser in to a diagnostic shop and they discovered that #4 cylinder had no compression. Zero.

So the engine needed a valve job. I bought a lemon!

But once I got that taken care of... It's been a trusting and faithful companion ever since.

Check the compression!

And yes OP, u should move on that before it's gone. That's a great looking truck right there.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your responses. I'm like 90% sure I will be purchasing, waiting for them to get back into town so I can take her for a test drive and confirm everything I have heard about these amazing FJ60's.

Buy it! You can always re-sell and make money if you change your mind. Don't let it get away.

Output,...had your rig since 88? Holy crap, that's some major loyalty right there.

The one whose been loyal way beyond any expectation, who has protected me from danger and kept me alive and free in the "wilderness"...the one who never complains and is game for whatever adventures I dream up, the one who had sat neglected for a year and perked up back to life at our reunion.... is my most loyal friend.

Now that's loyalty. I think my cruiser loves me.

Hard to send something like that to the crusher. Very hard indeed.

IF there is no frame rust or rot and no rust on the roof gutters buy her before
it sells.

x2

Also not to be picky but it's not unmolested. Nothing you can't fix but few items I noticed: grille and headlight door blacked out, fender vents same, rear door panels have been cut to add speakers, rip in the drivers seat bottom normal, rip in the seat back..not so much. Tailgate and bezel look really nice. Still has original hatch shocks so they prob sag or at least need a hand up. Missing rocker panels, windows tinted. Minor details that can be made the way you want. If underside looks good and engine running with current inspection...a steal at 5k.

Stuff to look for: pull up the carpet in front of the rear wheel well and look for rust holes at the weld where the floor meets the fender well. Look carefully for rust in the frame/crossmembers, door bottoms. None of this would deter me from buying but it does affect value and can be a bargaining tool as you will have to fork out $$ for proper repairs.

Last edited:
I would not get hung up on mileage. These trucks can go 400k before a rebuild. And I have seen 300k trucks that look better than 150k trucks.

as with most antique vehicles valuation is all Condition, condition, condition.

Did that one recently change hands or is it still in Idaho? I looked at pics of it maybe 7 or 8 months ago and I dont think it was exactly rust free. Have you had a look underneath?

I haven't been able to look underneath yet as they're out of town. when they get back next week I will be taking a closer look at it. and yes it was just in Idaho, My friend got it for his wife and she ended up not being that into it (Doesn't like driving a Manuel) and has since offered it to me. do you know what the previous owner had it listed for?

I have pics on my computer but the site is being difficult as usual when trying to post pics

Today it let me post one pic! Progress

tn.png

Thanks

I did that it still seems to be having problems with some JPG files. PNG files seem to be OK.

Appreciate the link though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom