80 shock thread - familiar territory could use update (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sooo...will just the shocks be available for folks wanting/needing a new shock but who don't want a 3" lift and already have an ~stock height to 1" lift and would running these shocks at the lower end of their lift range somehow limit their performance?

56509 (QTY.2) | 91-97 LAND CRUISER 80 0-3" FRONT 2.0 VS IR

56510 (QTY.2) | 91-07 LAND CRUISER 80/100 0-3" REAR 2.0 VS IR

running them at a lower height will not hurt the performance of the shock.

not having as much up travel as you do when lifted changes the way the vehicle performs overall because you cant drive as hard before hitting the bump stops.

So is there a thread specifically detailing these new Icon options?

How much lift do these springs give? I know it says 3", but how about some measurements?

Hi @DylanICON

I am seriously considering your kit to replace the aging OME suspension in my LX450. I do have a question about weight. My cruiser is pretty heavy. I have a front bumper/winch, sliders, skid plates, storage drawers, RTT, and a dual swing out bumper. I called SLEE and they recommended that if I replace my springs I should go with OME heavies. How would your springs compare? Would they work with such a loaded up truck?

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited:
running them at a lower height will not hurt the performance of the shock.

not having as much up travel as you do when lifted changes the way the vehicle performs overall because you cant drive as hard before hitting the bump stops.

Thanks for the input, let me ask a followup please...

With the Icon shocks on and the lower "lift" height, would uptravel be limited or less than the factory shock setup or OME stock height nitro chargers (what I'm running now but starting to feel loose)?

Thanks for the input, let me ask a followup please...

With the Icon shocks on and the lower "lift" height, would uptravel be limited or less than the factory shock setup or OME stock height nitro chargers (what I'm running now but starting to feel loose)?
Not limiting up travel might actually be a downside of the ICON shocks. I'm running ICON stage 1 (2.0 VS) shocks and 2851 OME springs up front. I can unseat the sping by about an inch with my current set up. I don't think I've yet flexed them to that point on a trail.

In any case, I'm planning to swap out my front springs this week, as I am mounting new (taller) tires.

Semi-related question....

What is the 'stock' height of a J80 chassis? I am basically looking for a reference measurement I can use for planning shock lengths and uptravel. I think using something like.....

Front suspension. Distance from the bumpstop pad to the metal lip for the bumpstop cup?
Rear suspension. Distance from the top of the axle tube to the hard rubber stop on the frame?

I am just trying to get a reference of what 'stock' would be......

Hi @DylanICON

My cruiser is pretty heavy. I have a front bumper/winch, sliders, skid plates, storage drawers, RTT, and a dual swing out bumper. I called SLEE and they recommended that if I replace my springs I should go with OME heavies. How would your springs compare? Would they work with such a loaded up truck?

Thanks!

Dan

@DylanICON

What he said. It would not be polite to speak in public about my old girls weigh. So what was the target truck weight for these springs? I'm in need of stiffer springs and new rear shocks now. Planning on the Slee 4" in his highest spring rates. But I'm always open to options.

@Corbet, I asked the same question regarding what weight 80 these were designed around. Here is DylanICON's response from this past fall.

5500-6500 ish
mine is about 5700 with the winch and bumper. The front wont vary as much as the back because that is where peoples set ups vary the most. mine is a bit light in the back with not much stuff as a DD.

The rear dual rate will help compensate for extra load. The front dual rate is set up ride well but be able to be driven harder as it engages later

preliminary rates are
190/300 front
200/280 rear
I may tweak them a bit after further testing

for comparison the 850/860 are 220 front and rear. stock is 160 front, 170 rear. LX is softer yet

@DylanICON

What he said. It would not be polite to speak in public about my old girls weigh. So what was the target truck weight for these springs? I'm in need of stiffer springs and new rear shocks now. Planning on the Slee 4" in his highest spring rates. But I'm always open to options.

Last edited:
He mentioned that he might tweak them a bit so, I'm not sure if these are his final numbers.
It looks like AutoCraftAustralia might be the only option for heavier rigs that want to run 35" and up tire size. That is unless Icon comes up with a North American option.

@Corbet, I asked the same question regarding what weight 80 these were designed around. Here is DylanICON's response from this past fall.

Are these equivalent to the medium OME springs?

Are these equivalent to the medium OME springs?
These are a little more heavy duty.
Sorry I can't be of more help with your question but
the OME mediums are 220 lbs. front and rear. These are both softer and firmer than OME due to the nature of their design.
See page 8 of this thread for more info.

Awesome I just saw this...
Congratulations @DylanICON this is great news. Another high quality suspension system coming out for the 80 series.
Even better both have your shocks. Exciting times.
I did read as much as I could but didn't see the exact specs of your coils.
What is the spring rate, free height, wire diameter & turns of your dual rate coils?

Just to compair:
OME 1" Stock height springs.
861~170lbs./250lbs.~19.23"/18.89"~16mm~10.4
862~170lb./260lb.~18.5"/18.11"~17mm~9

AutoCraft Slinky 75mm/3"
Front ~160lbs./260lbs.~24"
Rear~160lbs./270lbs.~21"

Is it possible to have a AutoCraft spec in a ICON Stage 1 shock or is only in the resi set up?

Last edited:
Here is a page #7 quote from Dylan oN the shock lengths.
the stage 1 2.0" and the stage 2/3 2.5" shocks are very close on length

2.0 IFP front 15.35 / 26.17
2.0 IFP rear 15.60 / 25.67

2.5 resi front 15.35 / 26.68
2.5 resi rear 15.97 / 26.30

So the 863J REAR spring would be just barly snug with the 2.0IFP.

There is a longer option for the rear but will need a bump stop exstension.
Our longer rear option that requires a bump stop spacer is 16.9comp - 28.3 ext. for the 2.5" and 16.85 comp - 27.42ext for the 2.0"
with the fox it would be best with a spring that is at least 21" free ht and our 2.5" at least 22" free ht

the fox with a 863J and a 30mm coil spacer and 3/4 to1" bump spacer would work.

yeah but what is the spring info?! I'm dying to know!

On page #7 he originally wrote:
preliminary rates are.... but I hope the finished product came in with lower rates than this. These rates would be good for a jumping contest.

"190/300 front
200/280 rear
I may tweak them a bit after further testing."

5500-6500 ish
mine is about 5700 with the winch and bumper. The front wont vary as much as the back because that is where peoples set ups vary the most. mine is a bit light in the back with not much stuff as a DD.

The rear dual rate will help compensate for extra load. The front dual rate is set up ride well but be able to be driven harder as it engages later

preliminary rates are
190/300 front
200/280 rear
I may tweak them a bit after further testing

for comparison the 850/860 are 220 front and rear. stock is 160 front, 170 rear. LX is softer yet

Awesome I just saw this...
Congratulations @DylanICON this is great news. Another high quality suspension system coming out for the 80 series.
Even better both have your shocks. Exciting times.
I did read as much as I could but didn't see the exact specs of your coils.
What is the free height, spring rate, wire diameter & turns of your dual rate coils?

Just to compair:
OME 1" Stock height springs.
861~170lbs./250lbs.~19.23"/18.89"
862~170lb./260lb.~18.5"/18.11"

AutoCraft Slinky 75mm/3"
Front ~160lbs./260lbs.~24"
Rear~160lbs./270lbs.~21"

If any of these specs are wrong please let me know, we don't want the wrong info out there.

Front:
190 / 300 , 21.5" Free Height

Rear:
200 / 280 , 20.0" Free Height

The biggest differences when compared to the slinky is that ICON coils ride at the first rate (190-F , 200-R) and increase rate when compressed for bottom out resistance.
The Slinkys ride at the second rate (260-F , 270-R) and use the soft rate for droop

also the ICON coils are capable of full up travel with no bump stop spacers

the info I have on the 861/2 shows single rate??????

Thank you for your quick reply.
So 190lb. front & 200lb. rear primaries...
Very intresting. This sounds more like progressive. I'm very sure they work awesome. Well, since it's the video age... Got Video??? I'm mean video of your rigblasting down the trail. I would like to see some of Darren's 80s also.

If you are getting the info on the 851, 850, 850J, 861 & 862 OME coils from the FAQ or Cruiser Outfitters some specs are wrong... I have contacted both & they have not changed the charts.
If you go directly to the OME pdf then you will see what I'm writing about.
Here is a snip for your convenience.
http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/OME_Guide_current.pdf

20151022_095858.png

20151023_201106-2-jpg.1163541

The 861/862 combo is the OME stock replacement springs for the 80 series.
They are dual rate.
image-3619842704-1-jpg.1163542

Last edited:
@DylanICON
Is it possible to have a 28" AutoCraft spec in a ICON Stage 1 shock or is only in the resi set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom