80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@icorradoi

@GW Nugget had a good suggestion on coils settling. I ended up flexing my rig a bit on a 25" tall rock in my yard to help settle everything out. Here's what it looked like right after... no road miles yet. (looks the same now)

dWu0Do0h.jpg

Side view:
dp7XqJih.jpg

Maybe flexing the suspension would help you too? Either way, I think you are really going to like the ride and handling when you get it out on the road. Even my wife has commented on how much better it feels. (Keep in mind that my OME suspension was old and my shocks were basically done for.)

I measured yesterday. The fronts are pretty even at just over 24" for both left and right sides. The rears, however, I'm getting about 24.5" on the right side and 23.5" on the left side. I'll drive it around a bit and see where it settles.

I got the 75MM heavy springs all around. The ride is pretty good, but I think after I get my RTT on and all my other gear in there, it should be even better. Also thinking of going with the BP-51 shocks, eventually. The money bleed never stops...

I measured yesterday. The fronts are pretty even at just over 24" for both left and right sides. The rears, however, I'm getting about 24.5" on the right side and 23.5" on the left side. I'll drive it around a bit and see where it settles.

I got the 75MM heavy springs all around. The ride is pretty good, but I think after I get my RTT on and all my other gear in there, it should be even better. Also thinking of going with the BP-51 shocks, eventually. The money bleed never stops...

Yeah, the heavies seem to get about an inch more lift than the intermediates (which I have). @GW Nugget and I got 23" front and 23.5" rear with intermediates while you and @Box Rocket got 24" front and 24.5" rear with heavies. Do you have the Icon shocks in there now? If so, how do you like them? (My rig is feeling good enough that my wife stole it to drive this morning)

Yeah, the heavies seem to get about an inch more lift than the intermediates (which I have). @GW Nugget and I got 23" front and 23.5" rear with intermediates while you and @Box Rocket got 24" front and 24.5" rear with heavies. Do you have the Icon shocks in there now? If so, how do you like them? (My rig is feeling good enough that my wife stole it to drive this morning)

Yeah, I have the Icon 2.0 shocks in there now. They're fine and worked well with my OME set up, but they do get hot and start to fade when my truck is fully loaded and/or doing some heavy off roading. I noticed in Moab that they were fading towards the end of the day on long trails.

Gotcha. they'll have plenty of caster (possibly too much?) but I don't think they move the arms forward.

Here's a shot of one of the plates welded into place.
View attachment 1627515

Your truck is on the heavy side but lots of Aussie trucks are quite a bit heavier and Darren has designed the kits to work on those fattys so you'll be good. Here's Darren's old 80 on 37's showing how to play in a heavy truck.
View attachment 1627516

@BoxRocket, Do you know if the relocation plates are available on their own or only as part of a full kit..?! I’d like to run a set when going to larger tires to help limit trimming.. Chris

@BoxRocket, Do you know if the relocation plates are available on their own or only as part of a full kit..?! I’d like to run a set when going to larger tires to help limit trimming.. Chris
I’m sure you can buy them separately. Call Kevin at EHO and he can get you a set if he’s got them in stock.

I read through all of this (and I apologize if I missed it) but I didn't see whether or not bump stop extensions were needed in the rear for the Slinky Long Travel 50mm kit?

I read through all of this (and I apologize if I missed it) but I didn't see whether or not bump stop extensions were needed in the rear for the Slinky Long Travel 50mm kit?
You need a 1" taller rear bumpstop. So you can do that with either a spacer or a different bumpstop. You can use OEM 7x Series frame mounted bumpstops. They are 1" taller than the rear bumpstops on the 80. They would replace the frame mounted ones that are there.

Slinky Parts by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_0649.jpg

You need a 1" taller rear bumpstop. So you can do that with either a spacer or a different bumpstop. You can use OEM 7x Series frame mounted bumpstops. They are 1" taller than the rear bumpstops on the 80. They would replace the frame mounted ones that are there.

Slinky Parts by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

View attachment 2114067

that's a clean solution. I'm assuming the 1" extension is needed because the 50mm kit shocks are designed for the 75mm kit as well? (so compressed length is a little long?)

also, I'm confused on who/where to buy from nowadays...?

that's a clean solution. I'm assuming the 1" extension is needed because the 50mm kit shocks are designed for the 75mm kit as well? (so compressed length is a little long?)

also, I'm confused on who/where to buy from nowadays...?
The 1" taller bumpstop is what is recommended for both the 50mm and the 75mm kit. Was perfect size for my 35's and maintaining full range of flex.

See my comment at the bottom for where to order.

Are these components still being sold state-side by anyone?

Yes, they are.

See below.

Kevin at 4xOverlandUSA.com is the official importer.

Not quite true. Kevin is no longer a Slinky dealer (his site was Endless Horizon Outfitters). 4xOverlandUSA is always an option for ordering these. It is handled directly by Darren McRae. The word is a that a new US Distributor is is the final stages of being ready to sell kits. From what I understand, all the contracts are in place and they have parts ordered and are just waiting for kits to arrive before going live with the announcement that they are the new US Importer. I'll share more info here when I hear it. In the meantime, kits can always be ordered from 4xOverlandUSA as they are the parent company.

For the record, in case anyone wonders, I am not a seller of Slinky parts. Just a satisfied customer.

Ok, didn't see them on his website, only the Icon kits.

Edit: Didn't refresh my screen before I posted.

Ok, didn't see them on his website, only the Icon kits.

Edit: Didn't refresh my screen before I posted.
They are all Slinky kits on the 4xOverlandUSA site
It might say Icon (remember the shocks are built by Icon) but read the description and you’ll see they are Slinky kits. Pictures might not be accurate either (I.e. black coils instead of silver slinky ones). But they are all Slinky parts.

They are all Slinky kits on the 4xOverlandUSA site
It might say Icon (remember the shocks are built by Icon) but read the description and you’ll see they are Slinky kits. Pictures might not be accurate either (I.e. black coils instead of silver slinky ones). But they are all Slinky parts.
So black coils are icon, silver coils are slinky? Didn't realize they had different colors

So black coils are icon, silver coils are slinky? Didn't realize they had different colors
Copy that. Pictures threw me.

Correct. Slinky coils are silver. The photos on the site are obviously not current. The Slinky kits have been around for more than a decade in Australia and I think they had black coils for a while in the early stages (not positive), or they were just using images from Icon.

There are a few different dual rate coil options out there and most can be differentiated by color. They're not all the same with just different colors applied, there are several other differences as well as manufacturers.
Slinky = Sliver
Icon = Black
Dobinson = Teal Green
Tough Dog = Red

Anyone know where I can get the front control arm frame bolt relocation plate. The one used to move the axle up about an inch.
At the moment I’m not aware of anyone carrying them until the new Distributor is up and running.
I made my own. Was pretty simple if you have a cut off wheel on a grinder and a 18mm drill bit.
I just traced the bracket area onto a piece of cardboard, cut out 4 of them and drilled holes 1.25” forward of center.
AD58DCE8-C495-4222-8E3D-F8FFB11BF568.jpeg

I've been wondering about the most advisable forward mount hole shift to use.
I think Daren had said he did 1" at the hole, plus 0.25" with offset bushings?
What do you recommend, now that you've had it for a while, considering movement, clearances - steering, panhard, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom