80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you will want the kit the shocks are valved to match the spring and the 80.
I am looking to upgrade my suspension within the next year what would be equivalent to a 3" lift with these? Do whole kits need to be bought or can just springs be purchased?
As far as I know you must buy a kit. Just springs would probity lead to a bad experience.

Coming from a prospective buyer - how does one even buy a "kit"?
or get replacement parts or warranty service or tech support....
DSMS or Icon themselves can valve any shocks to suit any set of coils one provides them with #'s for. And warranty or replacement parts are a phone call away. They are some of the most knowledgeable guys in the world of shock tuning and should be able to match 90% of what is requested.

Price aside, how does the Slinky set-up compete with that service when none of the kit is currently available for purchase in NA?

I have the utmost respect for what Autocraft is doing for 80's - even back to Assassin Offroad. Sounds negative, but this is my concern.

Last edited:
DSMS or Icon themselves can valve any shocks to suit any set of coils one provides them with #'s for. And warranty or replacement parts are a phone call away. They are some of the most knowledgeable guys in the world of shock tuning and should be able to match 90% of what is requested.

Price aside, how does the Slinky set-up compete with that service when none of the kit is currently available for purchase in NA?

I have the utmost respect for what Autocraft is doing for 80's - even back to Assassin Offroad. Sounds negative, but this is my concern.

sounds like you will have to wait, looks like from previous posts the slinky setup will be changing distributors in the near future. There are plenty of options out there, trail tailor, dobinsons, icon, etc for dual rate and progressive springs. With existing vendors help should not be an issue to match a set of springs with the shocks you need.

Yup - Putting in an order with Icon next week. The fox 2.0's have given up the ghost after 75k hard km's. But I got my moneys worth and they rode surprisingly well as tuned for the OME spring rates by DSMS. Too rusted to consider rebuilding. Icon bodies are more resistant to oxidization than Fox - or at least that's been my experience.

Just to correct your statement,

There are currently kits in NA, and more shipping now.

If you have a concern or want to get a set you can contact me if your unsure right now until later this week.

Valving them is one thing, lengths and as a complete kit is the other main thing that separates them, its a kit, it comes with what most people want, without having to go to multiple suppliers and try and figure it out.

Warranty is no different or repair, as you say, shocks arent tricky, and coils are there.

Our Panhard rods with fine thread and OE supplier bushes are also there.

Our UCAs with OE supplier bushes and very good quality OE ball joints are also priced right and parts are easy if required.

None of the companies you mentioned for shocks actually have the complete long travel as a package, and espacially in the carrying capacities that we do, specifically for overlanding, but just work.

New Vendor section going up with more details this week for you.

@AutoCraft Aus

Once you have a designated vendor and reliable supply please post it. At this point in the game it's unclear where to order. You should always make it easy for buyers to exchange their hard-earned money for your product.

Moj,

That is correct, like any hand over, there is a week of details, that need to be ticked and done in order.

That information will flow as required this week.

@AutoCraft Aus

Once you have a designated vendor and reliable supply please post it. At this point in the game it's unclear where to order. You should always make it easy for buyers to exchange their hard-earned money for your product.
Looks like we are starting to nitpick. Don't see how this is helpful. Justin and Redline have done the best he can with what is on his plates. I have the full respect for Darren taking his time to move his product to the right person and in the right time. As a prior business owner and in the retail for 34 year I understand you can't just knee jerk problems.

Thanks,

and just trying to let people know theres a change happening, and being up front with that, had we said nothing, we would also get the nit picking Im sure ;)

It may have been bottomed, it may have been overtightened, hence the "organic component" comment. That component can also have an impact at install.

But as I said, from the thousands I have done, never seen a 2.0 do this before, so to be certain check for any binding that may be created against the shock body, or overtightening of the rubbers and washers if you added locators or similar, just to be sure.

Also, looking at that rear plate, I have sen them installed backward which doubles the angle the shock has to work on adding massive side loading. Its easily done too, as at full droop when shocks are normally installed, the angle looks correct, or no angle to be precise, vs when compressed.

Good info for sure, I will check that when I get the chance to confirm.

All good things to say about this kit, and communication with Justin. Something to consider if your getting 75mm, and running 37s, Redline has pre cut plates to move the frame side control arm mount holes forward. In addition to that I moved the rear axle back 10mm using the often discussed rear control arm tube sleeve mod. Even with 315s the wheelbase extension is quite worthy of some high quality mall parking lot photo ops.

Is there a link to these front control arm mount plates somewhere? I poked around on the website and couldn't find anything.

Is there a link to these front control arm mount plates somewhere? I poked around on the website and couldn't find anything.

I talked to Justin about these today, give them a call and you'll get what you're looking for. Cool product that'll be a part of my own rig.

Some may have already heard that we here at Endless Horizon Outfitters are excited to be the new US distributor/dealer for Slinky suspensions! Redline Land Cruisers will also continue to be a dealer so anyone who has been working with Redline can continue to do so, but EHO will be the primary source for all things Slinky.

We've added a new thread in our Vendor Forum which we will update with the latest info as kits become available. We have kits on their way currently from Australia and plan to have new shipments every month. Please be patient with us as we complete the transition and get this new product line up and running. Feel free to reach out to us. @BoxRocket (Adam Tolman) is very familiar with the Slinky kits and we've asked him to help us with forum communication so that we can keep everyone "in the loop" and answer questions quickly. So don't hesitate to contact Adam. Darren is obviously an excellent resource and as you know he will answer questions as well and you can get answers directly "from the horses mouth" as they say.

Check out our vendor forum for info and follow the threads for updates.
Slinky Long Travel Suspension Systems

Are any of those rigs in the photos running the 50mm system?
I don't think so. The rigs that had the Slinky kits are my grey 80, Kevin Browns green monstalined rig (CVT tent on top), Justins Black 80, and Darren's white 80. All of those have the 75mm kits if I'm not mistaken.

I have some brand new 5100 bilstein shocks and some unknown springs. I bought
Them off a guy with crazy story. I don’t know what the springs are they look like garbage. Can you run the slinky 50mm coils with the silver bilsteins?

I have some brand new 5100 bilstein shocks and some unknown springs. I bought
Them off a guy with crazy story. I don’t know what the springs are they look like garbage. Can you run the slinky 50mm coils with the silver bilsteins?
I think this has been answered before but these are a kit and designed to be used with the AutoCraft Icons. I am sure they would fit but you might end up with some broken parts or a really crappy ride.

I am now considering swapping the coils eventually to a progressive or dual rate, not anytime soon, however I just can't get myself to spend the type of $$ needed on a fancy remote reservoir rebuildable shock. .
how heavy is your rig? where is the weight? i strongly suggest you drive someone's rig that's setup like yours and has the suspension you want first. i wish i had. depending on how your weight is setup, you may have to do the expensive shocks. i did the stage one on my 7k rig with a lot of roof weight and it was sketchy. i've had two people tell me that i needed to do the stage 4 (which i also can not afford, so the slinky is on the garage floor now). it makes sense...a non adjustable shock is going to be set up for a common rig, my rig is not common. it seems like those that are stupid heavy and loving it are on stage four. i'm back on my buckboard shocks and springs, but at least i feel a bit safer at 90mph ;)

@dec505 i wouldn't recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom