80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get that the Slinky kit rides great, but I wonder has anyone been on a trail where there were rigs with both the ICON and Slinky suspensions? How does the ICON kit ride on the trail compared to the Slinky? Is there anyone with actual experience with both and not just keyboard racing?

Both are "designed for 35s" and both use dual rate set ups.

For comparable shocks, ICON kit runs a $1000 less. The ICON kit is designed for maximum travel with stock bump stops. The Slinky kit extends the bumpers stops to run a slightly longer shock, giving another 1-2" of droop.

Given ICONs reputation, I would have guessed that it would handle speed better than Slinky, but the Slinky guys say that it handles great so I'll take their word for it.

I am looking seriously at both kits. Right now my impression is that they are both similar quality. I want the one that swallow oscillations the best and smooth out the trail as much as possible. Based on the paper specs, I would lean towards ICON. But the Slinky kit keeps getting rave reviews and a cult like following by those that have ridden it. So has anyone experienced both?
I was in the same boat, I was leaning towards the Icon kit. I went on a 80's ride here in Colorado and was able to ride in both and I could not believe the difference. Both trucks were set up basically the same and had 35" tires. I rode the same piece of track since I wanted to really see the difference before I bought my lift. The ride on the highway was shocking after I bought my kit. I cant believe how smooth it rides on road.

I was in the same boat, I was leaning towards the Icon kit. I went on a 80's ride here in Colorado and was able to ride in both and I could not believe the difference. Both trucks were set up basically the same and had 35" tires. I rode the same piece of track since I wanted to really see the difference before I bought my lift. The ride on the highway was shocking after I bought my kit. I cant believe how smooth it rides on road.
Which kit did you buy?

FYI for everyone following along on this topic. There is a new US Dealer for the Slinky suspension systems. Work is being done to smooth out and improve all around communication, keeping parts in stock and processing orders. I'm working with Darren and the new dealer to help facilitate communication on all things Slinky. I won't always have every answer but I should be able to help chase things down when needed so feel free to reach out.

I'll will have more details to share regarding the new dealer and the information customers will need to know about where and how to get Slinky kits. Just need to confirm all info is correct and things will start moving forward. Please be patient as the transition happens. Thanks.

This is good to hear. I was looking at both kits as well so it is nice to hear from someone who had seat time in both.

@Box Rocket as per his build thread he has 3.5" Autocraft Slinky Long Travel Coils
Autocraft Icon 2.0 12" Shocks.

This is good to hear. I was looking at both kits as well so it is nice to hear from someone who had seat time in both.

@Box Rocket as per his build thread he has 3.5" Autocraft Slinky Long Travel Coils
Autocraft Icon 2.0 12" Shocks.
Thanks.

I can't say I have first hand experience with the ICON kit, but obviously I do with the Slinky kit. I've heard from a few sources similar thoughts regarding the two kits. There are some differences even though they appear to be much the same. @BerettaMato 's post confirms what I've heard elsewhere.

It was pointed out already that his build thread shows that he has the Stage 1 Slinky kit.

Sorry, I misread that. I thought that was referring to BoxRocket's rig.

I would like to hear more about why he chose Slinky over ICON.

Flex and smoothness were what I was most impressed with on the Slinky. They were very close when going slow but med to high speed wash boards the slinky wins big time and as this would be a overlanding rig that would spend most of its time on washboards this was the most important thing to us.

Both rigs were running 20PSI at that time.

Last edited:
Flex and smoothness were what I was most impressed with on the Slinky. They were very close when going slow but med to high speed wash boards the slinky wins big time and as this would be a overlanding rig that would send most of its time on washboards this was the most important this to us.

I agree with this. The thing that has impressed me most is the slinky performance as faster speeds. Still flexes as well or better than any other bolt on kit for the slow rock crawling stuff but excels when speeds increase.

Flex and smoothness were what I was most impressed with on the Slinky. They were very close when going slow but med to high speed wash boards the slinky wins big time and as this would be a overlanding rig that would spend most of its time on washboards this was the most important this to us.

This is a huge help, thanks!

Have never seen a 2.0 pull that pin before, though I have seen 2 slide hammer apart from topping out, so the shock insert pulled before the stud did. Extra length of course helps compared to being short and topping out alot because of it.

Ideally as rule of thumb, minimum 70mm down travel from ride height to protect from "topping out"

I guess any time there is an organic component in assembly on a mass produced item, variables happen.

How they are fixed is super important.

I have well over 3" of droop at ride height as i went with the longer length shocks. I can just barely unseat my J springs with the shocks at full length.

My concern was that the threaded section of the stud was manufactured with only 4-5 threads on it. Yet the shock body could have accepted 8+, as seen in both this and the previous photo.
I know for sure that the stud was bottomed when I first installed them as I looked them over pretty close before putting them on.
20170801_160247.jpg

Flex and smoothness were what I was most impressed with on the Slinky. They were very close when going slow but med to high speed wash boards the slinky wins big time and as this would be a overlanding rig that would spend most of its time on washboards this was the most important this to us.

Did both trucks weight the same?

I have well over 3" of droop at ride height as i went with the longer length shocks. I can just barely unseat my J springs with the shocks at full length.

My concern was that the threaded section of the stud was manufactured with only 4-5 threads on it. Yet the shock body could have accepted 8+, as seen in both this and the previous photo.
I know for sure that the stud was bottomed when I first installed them as I looked them over pretty close before putting them on.

It may have been bottomed, it may have been overtightened, hence the "organic component" comment. That component can also have an impact at install.

But as I said, from the thousands I have done, never seen a 2.0 do this before, so to be certain check for any binding that may be created against the shock body, or overtightening of the rubbers and washers if you added locators or similar, just to be sure.

Also, looking at that rear plate, I have sen them installed backward which doubles the angle the shock has to work on adding massive side loading. Its easily done too, as at full droop when shocks are normally installed, the angle looks correct, or no angle to be precise, vs when compressed.

I agree with this. The thing that has impressed me most is the slinky performance as faster speeds. Still flexes as well or better than any other bolt on kit for the slow rock crawling stuff but excels when speeds increase.

And ideally, this is what we designed these packages for mainly, is to be loaded or overloaded, and be able to drive the long distance rough stuff with ease, and get out feeling like you havent been anywhere, but you can go play and walk it, or do that Rose Garden hill, while overlanding the whole Kokepelli Trail, and not be concerned while your big, heavy, 7, 8, 9000lb truck makes it look very easy.

Stability, having the sway bar set up correctly, and everything working as it should in its roll, while living out of the vehicle.

Most kits will do ride, weight, and hardly any do maximum travel, our packages use all 3 dimensions as a design requirement.

As Adam mentioned, some new news coming too, s will post up the details when the vendor section is updated next week.

Last edited:
I am looking to upgrade my suspension within the next year what would be equivalent to a 3" lift with these? Do whole kits need to be bought or can just springs be purchased?

To get the max benefit, you need the complete kit.

3" HD stage 4 7000lb +on 35s.

18238168_1506555252689894_6420546932936955944_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom