77 FJ55 Montana to Florida (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm back in the saddle.. Nothing to report other than I took an age related break.. Chuckles... Thanks for asking...
I had purchased this OEM metal 4 wheel drive emblem and due to pitting/deterioration I elected to get it powder coated instead of rechromed/painted... Went with the colors of the truck but with a 'whiter' white then the OEM white... Getting Sophia (grn/white) back this weekend I believe.. Next pic(s) will hopefully be with the emblem installed...

4 wheel drive.jpg

A loose subjective schedule!!
Very... he's a sole proprietor, no employees, and makes his living doing insurance/collision damage repairs. He works on vintage/restorations during slack times...
So a bit of juggling and balancing is always factored in.. + his family,,, + having a life!!....add to that he wants to get the work done at a pretty high level... so patience on my end is a struggle but important for the best outcome.. Getting close... If he's there today I may try and snap some pics so the sty knows I actually have a green and white piggie..(sorry Bob!) 😂

PnB shop owner returned the truck.. Excellent body work... Some finish details we're going to address hopefully after he's recovered from working on it...
I had this original orange insert emblem PC'd green (earlier pic) .. Curious what the sty thinks... More pics in a couple of weeks.. She's in the garage, no brakes. I have considerable clean up, and some mechanicals to get done...

emblem grn tailgate.jpg

PnB shop owner returned the truck.. Excellent body work... Some finish details we're going to address hopefully after he's recovered from working on it...
I had this original orange insert emblem PC'd green (earlier pic) .. Curious what the sty thinks... More pics in a couple of weeks.. She's in the garage, no brakes. I have considerable clean up, and some mechanicals to get done...

View attachment 3377250
Nothing like fresh paint...

Man, I have fallen into the proverbial soup sandwich of wiring dysfunction, etc... but ...
back story is about a month ago I drove to the gas station thinking 1/2 mile would be ok ... not so much...
the 'new' PO installed water pump leaked at the bottom like a hose... got some gas, gauge cluster working fine...
headed back after adding water, and she cut off due to overheating I'm sure.. my bad...
Waited, when cooled down, I was a block away, cranked her up and pulled her in the garage...
However, since that time the gauge cluster, other than the alternator/charge gauge, just don't work...
So working thru each one after reading FSM and a few threads, I ordered a new water temp sender and oil pressure sender just to be safe...
I changed the oil pressure sender and per the FSM, followed the check procedures for both it and the dash gauge w a low voltage light... Nothing from either...
So the question of the day, attacking just the oil pressure sender at the block/oil cooler, following the FSM instructions, from the battery, I should be able to press a positive lead to the oil pressure sender w a low voltage light inserted between the two, and with the truck running, the bulb should flash... nothing...
I checked the battery ground....both at the block and at the battery and battery tray... I'm not understanding why a new (nor did the old one which is why I bought a new one) respond to the circuit test...I tightened the oil cooler to the block when I installed it ensuring snugness... Maybe the new gaskets and or I didn't torque it down enough?

The good news I've got no exchange of oil/water via cracked head/block or blown head gasket that I can tell.. she cranks right up and runs great....

I know i've now got some additional steps, but getting the oil pressure sender question resolved would be first step..

Any thoughts/guidance much appreciated....

A second discovery...my ignitor is getting hot w the ignition in the on station... fried wire/short somewhere? Digging into this is painful for me but I've got to learn.. I'd rather do front axle rebuild.. I understand that... wiring has always confused me but time to get over it. Grins.

Last edited:
I checked the battery ground....both at the block and at the battery and battery tray... I'm not understanding why a new (nor did the old one which is why I bought a new one) respond to the circuit test...I tightened the oil cooler to the block when I installed it ensuring snugness... Maybe the new gaskets and or I didn't torque it down enough?
I know squat about the oil sender circuit, but maybe try putting a ground right to the sender body? Maybe something got fried in gauge cluster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom