60's Hydraulic Arm For Rear Hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chalk another repair up thanks to Reid Supply Co. $52 shipped to my door, w/ 2 struts and 4 new end balls.

Another happy customer - about $45 from Reid supply.

One note, however. The new struts are slightly longer than OEM. The result is the hatch lifts up higher (which is good) but it lifts until the hatch hits the rear gutter. The rubber window gasket is what actually touches the gutter and it doesn't seem to be harming anything, but if you were able to get struts that were slightly shorter - maybe .5 inches, it would probably be ideal.

But not hitting your head is pretty ideal too!

I got the shipstore lift struts awhile ago, and just put them in today. I discovered (I have an '88 FJ62) that you can get the ball out without cutting the socket, you just need to get the little wire clip out of it. I fished it out of each of the sockets in like 10 seconds each, max. Not sure if people are still interested, but the shipstore struts are super easy to install, and if you can get the little retaining wire out, the whole job should take less than an hour. I would've taken pics, but once I discovered I didn't have to saw them all apart, I got excited and just finished it up.

Yukon,Thanks for the fishing out the clip idea.It took me a while to fish out the first one,then it was all downhill from there.Just curious,what did you use? I went through 2 bobbie pins, a couple paper clips, and finally settled on one of my wife's dental tools.Thanks also for the write up,used the reid supply springs.

I bought some on ebay, the fittings were correct and they were about 42 including freight. Guy was out of New York, it was the Sachs brand.

check out McMaster-Carr, i just bout some w/ the ball ends for $40 for both. 20 minute install. boutgh the 17 inchers rated at 90lbs

First off, shipstore.com sucks!!!! I ordered several months ago and never got anything. They never responded to any of my phone calls or emails until I threatened to dispute the charges and contact the BBB. Finally they emailed back and said they were cancellingmy order.

I ordered from Advance Auto Parts and got Monroe replacements within 3 days to my door. Roughly $50 for the pair shipped. They came with new ball ends. I didn't notice the new ball ends in the package until after I took the old ones out of the old arms.

The best tool I could find to pry out the clips was a small spring. It was the only thing that I had that was small enough and stout enough to pry them out. I uncurled one end of it and got it started under the clip. It was more of a roll action with the wrist to get them to peel out as opposed to a straight pry.

Rear Hatch Lifts - Problem with ShipStore supplier

Just a heads up. On January 3, 2008, based on good feedback on this forum, I ordered and paid for two lift supports for my FH62 from the ShipStore. I don't know what's going on with the ShipStore these days, but it's now March 26th and I still have not received my parts. My phone call to them this morning was my sixth attempt to contact them about this. The first time I e-mailed, after waiting a full month for my merchandise, I received a quick response saying they would take care of the problem. That was back on February 4. Since then I've made five more documented inquires through proper channels asking for information about my order. Just silence from the ShipStore. No product received, no refund received. Does anyone know how to cause these guys to respond to a legitimate inquiry? It's now getting close to three months since I paid for my lift supports.

The only way to get shipstore to respond is to threaten them. I had to say that I was going to dispute the charges on my CC and that I was going to report them to the BBB. That made them respond. Other than that, they wouldn't answer the phone, return calls, or answer emails. They are a joke. No, actually they are worse than a joke. They are scam artists.

I have now finished replacing the rear supports ion my 60. I got the parts from Reid supply and what an easy process. I ordered them got them and installed them. No modifications just as easy as that. It was money well spent! Thanks for all who have gone before us to pave the way to sucess.

Does anyone have the dimensions needed handy? Compressed and extended lengths. I am hoping to order these from McMaster-Carr today as I have a couple other items to order from them. Alternatively, the McMaster-Carr part number would be great. Thanks.

I just replaced mine with Gas springs from McMaster-Carr. They came with the threaded ends, installed in 10 minutes with nothing but an open ended wrench and some thread locker.

4138T566 GAS SPRING WITH BALL-JOINT END FITTING, 60 LB FORCE, 17.13" EXTENDED LENGTH,

$40.54 to the door complete delivered 18 hours after ordering. I went with 60 lbs force, which opens the lid to within an inch of maximum extension with no stress on any components. With the 90 lbs. ones on the hood, I have to control the opening, not so on the tail gate lid with the 60#. Also, once you pull the lid to 3/4 closed it gently takes over and shuts the lid. Nice improvement over the 23 yo parts.

Damn. I wish I had known about the metric threaded ball when I did mine a few months ago. I spent about an hour with a dremel tool salvaging the existing ball. Still the Reid shock with the socket works real good---on my 62.
I would like to know more about doing the engine compartment hood with shocks. It sounds complicated.

Mcmaster stay lifts

I just ordered the 90lb lifts from McMaster-Carr. $30 plus shipping. I had ordered before reading the entire thread and reading Gaylon's note on his success with the 60lb model. I will let you all know how the 90 lbers work out.

Sure appreciate all the info on replacement tailgate struts!

I used Reid Supply Co., mfg. is ArvinMeritor, label tag is Guden; Suspa has an on-line order system & also sells the ball studs. Don't miss those little spring clips in the attachment parts bag. No instructions, but I found them to hold the strut on when placed appropriately.

I fortunately started out with 1 extra OEM strut, as I rounded off the 12mm base of one stud completely (must have been on there for 18 years now, 8<), rounded a corner on a couple others. Not to worry, as you can use a box end wrench (love those gearwrenches!) when you reinstall them.

I used a rotary tool to cut the studs free :eek: , from the pic you can see that those cutoff discs I'd worn down to the size of a dime or less cutting my fan shroud work perfectly, as the mandrel can ride the socket & space the cut away from the stud. By the time I'd cut 9 of them I was getting pretty good, and only nicked one of those I did use.

See studssalute pic for a comparison. FJ62 on L has new struts; FJ62 on R is propped up on a mop handle, so its just slightly higher than where weakened struts held it up.

Stand back when you open the hatch so you don't catch it on the chin. I warned the wife to release the tailgate before feet leave ground. :bounce: :bounce2: No more noggin knots!:grinpimp:

x2. I used the 90lb Reid struts as well. Used the same parts for my hood shock conversion too, only I used 120lb struts, which now that they're broken in and I have the added weight of the Dynamat padding and their hoodliner, are a perfect balance for the hood's total weight.

I just got the new gas struts/rear window stays from Mcmaster-Carr. Installed in a couple minutes and they work great. The 90lbs are a little strong, but not overkill by any means.

4138T569 GAS SPRING WITH BALL-JOINT END FITTING, 90 LB FORCE, 17.13" EXTENDED LENGTH, 6.3" STROKE 2EA
2 0 15.16EA
$30.32
They charged 5.50 shipping, so 35.82 delivered to the door.

Now I am looking at doing the front hood gas strut modification that Spoook posted.

Spanky-over and out

Spanky P - did these come with the correct metric ends already assembled and just swap/install?

the 90# lift - does it hit the gutter like someone previously mentioned?

I think i did this on my old 85, but think i got hte OEM ones... ouch $$!

love to swap some old ones on a new 85 i am getting.

TIA

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom