60's Hydraulic Arm For Rear Hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump with additional info...

I installed a set of hatch supports sourced from liftsupportsdepot.com and they are plug/play. Liftsupports is offering 10% off with an end total of 48.40 shipped (more expensive than Reid's, I found this post late). They seem sturdy and definitely require additional muscle to close the hatch.

They come with ball joints that screw directly into the existing holes (all old hardware can be trashed). The shocks are very easy to install/remove since the retainer clip is exposed and accessible with a small flathead.
Hatch.jpg

As others stated, the manual shows removing the existing ball with an open wrench but this was rounding/stripping the nut. I used a dremel to cut through the ball and remove the shock then a socket to remove the bolt.

i read thru this whole thread, maybe i missed it, but is there a difference between the 60 and 62? in the above link'd website when i type in 89 landcruiser, lists the part as fj60 only?

Update for FJ62

I purchased the 17.13" McMaster-Carr 4138T56 gas shocks. These did not work for my FJ62. The shock would reach its full compression and the window still had 4-5" to go before being completely closed. I exchanged the 17" ones for the 15.24" 4138T55 and it closed perfectly. I purchased them in the 60# force as previously mentioned, but you had to slightly assist it to full extension. I decided to exchange that set for the 90# version and it works perfectly. It doesn't fly up. It's a nice, smooth lift and only takes small force to close. It opens to a good height...about 1" from the roof line to the top part of window. The shocks come with the ball ends installed included in price...they mounted without any modification using 13mm wrench.

So after all that, I recommend the 4138T55 90# shocks for the FJ62

Oh, McMaster was very easy to deal with when exchanging. Total price: $35 shipped.

Last edited:
hey guys got mine from reid supply if you order the GS-124s (shocks) and the GS-30 ends you get the ball and socket togehter and its metric thread and screws right in with no alteration, re tapping, or cutting off the original ends

link to my post IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - 1983 fj60 build up

Thank you cfdlighthouse!

That Gas-30 part number works perfectly and completely replaces the existing ball stud. I replaced my Fj62s struts with these part numbers this afternoon and it took at most 30 minutes. The metric ballstuds rock.

Anyway the GAS-30 part number will save you serious pain.

One other thing: In FJ62s at least, the 124s are almost too long and lift the gate very high. They do fit, but just barely.

Last edited:
Just ordered the 90# 17 inch springs from McMaster. These are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer than the stock struts. I installed the passenger side first and thought it was going to be too long, but it fit . . . barely. Pre-compressing the spring with a loop of nylon webbing made installation a bit easier since the extended length of the strut is longer than the actual distance between the attachment points. On to the driver's side--once installed, the liftgate did indeed come to rest against the rain gutter. but worse, for some reason the identical strut was too long on this side and the gate wouldn't shut. So I put the stock strut back on that side. Not ideal, but the gate still lifts nicely and the stock stut keeps the gate from banging into the gutter.

Look forward to hearing it. I'm going to exchange the set I bought. Why they would fit on one side and not the other :bang: is a mystery to me, but having uneven pressures on the gate can't be a good idea.

It seems like Lift Supports/Mr. Lou is the only place that offers lenghts in the 16" range. Everyone else sells either 15 1/2 or 17 inchers.

Just put on the 15" set from McMaster Carr - wow. Talk about easy and worth it. They bolt right up, no assembly or fiddling around needed and the lift is perfect. I have the 90lb shocks and they perfectly lift the rear gate smoothly. Best improvement under forty bucks by far...

I just purchased these, I will report back when they arrive on the fit and quality.

I just installed these this afternoon. 15 minutes max for both sides. Fits perfect, very pleased. I highly recommend these as a replacement. Seems like McMaster Carr have resulted in mixed results. These are a no brainer.

I had no issues when removing the old ones like BG_TX experienced. The OEM ball requires a 12mm open end and the replacements fit a 13mm.

McMaster isn't mixed results - you just have to buy the correct ones... it's also a 15min job if you have the right parts.....

The correct McMaster part is the 15.24" gas spring 4138T55

Force is up to you - I found 60lbs to be perfect they just glide up and they look stock...

:)

Last edited:
Reviving an old post, but I wanted to put this where it would help the most. I just tried to put McMaster Carr struts on and had to give up. Got one on and quit. The struts I ordered were the 17.3" 60 lb ones..M/C part #4138T566. The threads on the ball posts are 5/16"-18NC which are not what is on my FJ60. The stock Toyota threads are 8X1.25 metric. There have been multiple posts where people described McMaster Carrs as "drop ins"..perhaps the two threads are close enough that it works?? I rethreaded to 5/16" and fought the SOB on because it is about 1"+ too long and has to be compressed.
There has been a lot of discussion about using the original Toyota ball studs but they appeared to be a larger size than the McMaster Carr sockets. Also, the McMaster Carr sockets have a tiny release spring that would challenge a brain surgeon to remove. I think that they may have changed vendors since previous posters had success.

Reviving an old post, but I wanted to put this where it would help the most. I just tried to put McMaster Carr struts on and had to give up. Got one on and quit. The struts I ordered were the 17.3" 60 lb ones..M/C part #4138T566. The threads on the ball posts are 5/16"-18NC which are not what is on my FJ60. The stock Toyota threads are 8X1.25 metric. There have been multiple posts where people described McMaster Carrs as "drop ins"..perhaps the two threads are close enough that it works?? I rethreaded to 5/16" and fought the SOB on because it is about 1"+ too long and has to be compressed.
There has been a lot of discussion about using the original Toyota ball studs but they appeared to be a larger size than the McMaster Carr sockets. Also, the McMaster Carr sockets have a tiny release spring that would challenge a brain surgeon to remove. I think that they may have changed vendors since previous posters had success.

Go back and look at post 48. I used the metric ball studs and the listed struts. It did wonders for both my FJ60 and FJ62. Lift gates that work...who knew!

As BG-TX stated above.

I just replaced both shocks using the ones from Lifts Support Depot Whole job took about 10 minutes. I put some acetone on the balls to break the Lock-Tite, The new set came with new balls with the correct threads and as far as I can tell the shocks are the exact same specs as the originals. Only difference is the locks on the ends, they are the band type, not the wire type, as shown in BG's pic above. And Very satisfied, even the sockets came pre-lubed.

Love it when a project goes so smoothly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom