4runner.... rescue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What color are the wires? Maybe look for the pair on the wiring diagram?

Just comes out of the harness with everything else. I can't even be sure it was plugged in originally. I havent started this thing up since swapping the motor. Just trying to cross my T's and dot my I's.

Nah. Those are all plugged in. I had labeled them originally when I removed everything.

Maybe I'll just fire her up and go from there.

Well as long as you have all the vitals plugged in, I say start it up and see what happens!

What color are the wires? Maybe look for the pair on the wiring diagram?

That'd be a great idea if I had a wiring diagram. I'm getting ready to head out of town for work which should give me plenty of hotel time to hunt one down.

Got curious and went outside to check mine. I have the same grey plug with two wires. Green/White and Red or Brown. Plug has never been plugged in since I've owned it. Truck is a 1990 Extended cab with 22re. Canadian version. I will look into the FSM wiring diagram a bit later.

Got curious and went outside to check mine. I have the same grey plug with two wires. Green/White and Red or Brown. Plug has never been plugged in since I've owned it. Truck is a 1990 Extended cab with 22re. Canadian version. I will look into the FSM wiring diagram a bit later.

Awesome!! Thank you.

just spent a few minutes with the FSM wiring diagrams. No luck yet. The diagrams are fairly hard to follow. I will try more on the weekend. My truck has never had that plug hooked up, and it runs very well. I went out and took pictures, and it is the same plug in the same location as yours. Should not be a factor in starting and running. Might be something for optional equipment like AC? which I don't have.

Well the motors in and running and it only took about 3 months!

First two minutes at high idle she runs great! After that the idle drops down and gets reeeaaall nasty and lumpy. Throttle response is great and the motor smooths out once you get the RPMS back up.

The O2 sensor is just dangling there, but not sure it would cause those issues. I haven’t dug into it at all.... but it runs!!

Nice one! I think I’m going to go and get plates for my red ‘89 today... It wants to be driven I think.

Tested the TPS using roger browns method today. And it failed check number two. Thinking this is probably my idle issue, but I’m a ways away from being roadworthy so Ive got other things to button up first.

91AE83C4-0989-4C01-8C6C-01E9B1E57D44.png

Any updates? :)

Got a new o2 sensor and a cat hooked up.

Still idles like garbage and I have a Code 52 - knock sensor circuit. Haven’t looked into it, other than the knock sensor is tight and hooked up. And I KNOW the new motor wasn’t throwing the code before the engine was pulled - I have no idea about the truck. It’s either the ‘85 knock sensor is not compatible with my ‘89 or the wiring is bad. The holidays have kept me busy!

Once I get the code 52 sprted out I’ll worry about the idle.

Got a new o2 sensor and a cat hooked up.

Still idles like garbage and I have a Code 52 - knock sensor circuit. Haven’t looked into it, other than the knock sensor is tight and hooked up. And I KNOW the new motor wasn’t throwing the code before the engine was pulled - I have no idea about the truck. It’s either the ‘85 knock sensor is not compatible with my ‘89 or the wiring is bad. The holidays have kept me busy!

Once I get the code 52 sprted out I’ll worry about the idle.

Gotta love wiring...

Code 52 fixed. Apparently the ‘89 knock sensor and the ‘85 sensor are not interchangeable. Swapped the ‘89 KS in and my Code 52 issue is resolved.

Now I just have some strange idling issues to work out. Very good chance my IACV is bad. It is the one from the ‘89 motor that has been sitting for 5+ years.

So I did something fun for a change. A buddy gave me a set of doors. So half doors are on the menu.

D24494CF-35F7-45BC-93E4-D58A232E6A48.jpeg

Is EBay the best place to sell individual door pieces and parts?? And parts in general?

How are you planning to have the half doors latch?

eBay is an awesome place to sell any old parts! Let me know what you have and I might want to add stuff to my collection.

How are you planning to have the half doors latch?

eBay is an awesome place to sell any old parts! Let me know what you have and I might want to add stuff to my collection.

I’ve got almost all the EFI stuff off of an ‘85 22re that I have no need for. I was going to sell it out piecemeal on EBay to try and recoup some of my $$$.

For the door latch I’m just going to use a pice of cord around the latch mechanism and run it through a grommet. It’s about the simplest idea I saw.

Those doors turned out nice. Are you doing that to get around local law about going doorless? Do you need to mount mirrors on them too?

I’ve got almost all the EFI stuff off of an ‘85 22re that I have no need for. I was going to sell it out piecemeal on EBay to try and recoup some of my $$$.

For the door latch I’m just going to use a pice of cord around the latch mechanism and run it through a grommet. It’s about the simplest idea I saw.

I may be interested in all the EFI stuff...I'll shoot you a PM.

Those doors turned out nice. Are you doing that to get around local law about going doorless? Do you need to mount mirrors on them too?

No law hear about running doorless, but I had free (s***ty) doors and I was waiting on parts. I might go doorless but I like having the half doors to keep stuff on the floor in, and stuff from my tires (kind of) out.

I'm going to some kind of mirror on there. At least on one side.

Cool. Throw some more of that red paint on and you’re ready for summer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom