4runner.... rescue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A look under the valve cover. Between this and all the coolant in the crankcase I don’t think this motor is worth keeping around. Got a line on a recently resealed very good running motor from a buddy but he wants $1100. May be worth it but I’m not sure I want to pay that much for a motor in a vehicle I may or may not keep.

Agreed. Thats gross:eek:

Here is what mine looked like at around 220K

20140904_145501(0).jpg
20140904_145518.jpg

Oh come on, it's not that bad! Just run some seafoam through it, should clean that right up.

wow, that paint job came out looking really good! there's a guy here, near knoxville that's selling rebuilt 22r's for $1k

wow, that paint job came out looking really good! there's a guy here, near knoxville that's selling rebuilt 22r's for $1k

Knoxville isn’t too far and that’s a good price if they are rebuilt with quality parts.

I’ve got a buddy with a low mileage resealed 22re he will sell me. I’m just holding out until I get a title. Hopefully there will be more updates at that time!

I got a title! And started pulling the motor. She looks pretty unf*cked with under the hood. Don’t think it’s ever been touched.

The ‘89 seems to have a lot of VSVs and some extra smog stuff compared to the motor that’s going in. I’ll delete what I can without getting too involved. If the EGR is working it can stay.

I ordered a clutch kit from Marlin and slave/master plus a bunch of other little stuff from rockauto. Coming from cruisers I can’t believe how available and cheap this stuff is....

Well here in VA the only hard part was waiting. I just filed for a title for an abandoned vehicle and followed the steps listed on the DMVs website. Super easy, I thought.

There’s an article on Jolopnik today about how much more fun it is to restore something when you have a hope in hell to find parts. It’s nice to make steady progress.
There are some unobtainable parts on a 1st gen, but not like an old cruiser.

Since my interior is pretty complete I’m thinking I’ll be good to go. I’m not going for a resto, but I’m not building a rock crawler either. I’d just like a decent driver that I’m not afraid to mildly wheel.

Preparing to swap the motor. Do motor mounts make a difference? I’m not turning this thing into a rock crawler but it will go off-road. Will the “bomb-proof” style motor mounts transmit a noticeable amount of vibration?

I don’t think I need them if the factory style Will hold up to mild-moderate trail riding.

Also, I have a large empty hole where the stereo went. Any suggestions on mounting kits and stereos that won’t look too out of place (read: steal me!).

Do the scion units work?

image.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the plug in this picture is called? Or what it’s for? This is an ‘89 4Runner. I can’t find where it goes.

What an awesome rescue man! This 4Runner was definitely worth saving. You're going to love this 4Runner maybe even more than your cruisers. :hillbilly: I'm gonna follow this rescue for sure.

As for the plug, where does it come from? Or is it just mixed into the wiring harness with everything else?

Can anyone tell me what the plug in this picture is called? Or what it’s for? This is an ‘89 4Runner. I can’t find where it goes.

No clue. My 85 doesn't have it. There are only two VSV connectors on top of my manifold (fuel pressure regulator, and AC). I appears there is a blue VSV right under the connector he is holding in his hand. Don't know if it's that easy or not.

What an awesome rescue man! This 4Runner was definitely worth saving. You're going to love this 4Runner maybe even more than your cruisers. :hillbilly: I'm gonna follow this rescue for sure.

As for the plug, where does it come from? Or is it just mixed into the wiring harness with everything else?

Just comes out of the harness with everything else. I can't even be sure it was plugged in originally. I havent started this thing up since swapping the motor. Just trying to cross my T's and dot my I's.

No clue. My 85 doesn't have it. There are only two VSV connectors on top of my manifold (fuel pressure regulator, and AC). I appears there is a blue VSV right under the connector he is holding in his hand. Don't know if it's that easy or not.

Nah. Those are all plugged in. I had labeled them originally when I removed everything.

Maybe I'll just fire her up and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom