40 and a Baby (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays Mudders.

I would like some input on what color to go with on a soft top - here are the options, what say you, Mud Members?

Color Compare - Soft Top Materials - Voting.JPG

4 tan

Haven’t done anything with paint yet, or to refurb the surrounding mount, but got the carrier spacer mod mocked up.

Total cost = $25 at Ace Hardware. 1 piece of 1” square steel, 6 bolts, 4 furniture tips.

Tire is 33” x 10.5”

Pasting in some of the other coverage of this mod:

How do ya Mount a 33" Spare tire?
FlatlanderFJ40's new 1974 TLC

E069B108-57CF-45E7-9BA5-9F04655E2FED.jpeg
B322A083-CAFC-4772-A452-AACF279FC8DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Clearing out some parts that the PO had stashed in the back of my 40.
C416051B-B039-4118-9B5D-2221441945D0.jpeg
33F30741-7019-41CF-9B22-8261D10B41B1.jpeg
BE655C1A-675F-4E9B-98CC-557D6D8BAC1D.jpeg
Does anyone know how to identify this intake and exhaust?

After 5 weeks of daily driving the 40 (15 minutes to the office, secondary roads), I’ve been gaining confidence with the truck so, last weekend did a family outing to the coast, today up onto Skyline Blvd for a father son hike on Purisima Trail. The little guy hates riding in his Mom’s Prius but gets totally excited to ride in the 40 - The Fold ‘N Tumble is working well, and the soft top provides really good visibility for the little man.

Skyline is a really special road, and the people who set in place California’s Open Space Preserves enabled the magic that is a 30 minute drive from a 7M metropolis into magical Redwoods. Picked a good morning for it .. the dew covered road and chill temps kept the sports cars in the garages (hence no guilt over slowing anyone’s cornering fun).

Passed on the truck photos but got one from the hike, with the Pacific in the backdrop.
C22B70C4-6435-44F4-A356-7FA8F7D5EAEB.jpeg

On the way out a couple of Rangers walked over ... worried I accidentally parked in the handicap spot but nope ... and greeted my little man and offered a Junior Ranger sticker. Special people, those who devote their careers to park service.

Next up - a weekend cruise out to Alice’s Restaurant.

FINALLY got the blower motor and housing refurb done. MAN it takes a long time to do this stuff when trying to take care of every piece and part.

At this rate I should have the engine compartment done by 2030.

442677B1-8DF5-481A-847F-95E666254BD8.jpeg

A couple of updates on the evolution of my cruiser. Stage 3 engine bay - Sniper and dizzy are in, and a bunch of incremental improvement/resto work (Qwik Hinges, alternator, hoses, fan, wheel paint, etc.). Thanks to stellar work from @orangefj45 and team, and advice from @wngrog, and supplies from @FJ60Cam. This thing is night and day. So much response and power at freeway speeds (and everywhere else on the band).

@mrburlingame Ready for a meet up?!

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg

Okay - check this out everyone. So my nearly 3 year old is obsessed with his dad's 40, and reading. My wife (is so amazing) found this book ... Hike by Pete Oswald, featuring a beige '40 and an outdoor adventure. A reading recommendation for everyone with kids - a reading recommendation on Mud?! Yes. Take a look and I know a lot of you will want to get a copy of this - it's been tremendous storytelling book with my little man, who loves our land cruiser.

I have thought about contacting the author to call attention to the questionable mixing of parts (hatch with the later model hard top, etc.) but that's probably being a nit.

Hike Pete Oswald 1.jpg

Hike Pete Oswald 3.jpg

Hike Pete Oswald 4.jpg

Hike Pete Oswald 5.jpg

Hike Pete Oswald 6.jpg

That rear view mirror must have been an option.. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Everybody - I recently acquired a used 8274-50 and am looking to replace the wire line to synthetic. Is there an obvious choice and source for a high quality replacement line?

So far, this is my front-runner: Replacement Winch Line for the Warn M-8274-50 w/ Gusset Thimble | JM Rigging Supply - https://www.jmrigging.com/product-page/replacement-winch-line-for-the-warn-m-8274-50

Appreciate any recommendations/feedback.

I bought mine from Viking, but they are no longer in business.

The 8274 has a large drum, so you have some options: it was made to hold 150' of 5/16" line. Depending on where you wheel and how far away an anchor point may be, you could put on less line, because you get more pulling power with fewer layers of line on the drum. You could also put on heavier line, like 3/8".

I did both; used 3/8" line but only put 100' on the drum. I do carry an extension just in case but have never used it.

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

Hi Everybody - I recently acquired a used 8274-50 and am looking to replace the wire line to synthetic. Is there an obvious choice and source for a high quality replacement line?

So far, this is my front-runner: Replacement Winch Line for the Warn M-8274-50 w/ Gusset Thimble | JM Rigging Supply - https://www.jmrigging.com/product-page/replacement-winch-line-for-the-warn-m-8274-50

Appreciate any recommendations/feedback.

View attachment 3532918
I really like that bumper with the winch looks almost OEM who makes it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom