3FE howling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure this is the correct forum, but it’s been good so far.
I have a 3FE in my 55, and the engine has developed a howl at the pulley on the front of the crank. While diagnosing, I removed the pulley from the crank and the noise stops.
Question is why would the pulley cause a howling sound with or without the belts attached?

fan clutch?

How worn is the pulley and are you using the correct belt? If the belt is not making all of its contact on the sides of the pulley and is instead running in the bottom of the trough, there will be slippage.

How worn is the pulley and are you using the correct belt? If the belt is not making all of its contact on the sides of the pulley and is instead running in the bottom of the trough, there will be slippage.
The howling occurs with or without the belts attached. Would bad pulleys cause a howling sound even if there are no belts?

The howling occurs with or without the belts attached. Would bad pulleys cause a howling sound even if there are no belts?

going to need to remove the crank pulley and have a look/see

Doesn't the pulley interface with the oil seal? Maybe some type of interference at the seal and like making the timing chain cover vibrate.

Front main bearing issue and when you take off the pulley eliminates spinning load stress.

Just throwing out odd thoughts!!!

I'll smoke another one and see what I think up.

Did that. Nothing to obvious.
Doesn't the pulley interface with the oil seal? Maybe some type of interference at the seal and like making the timing chain cover vibrate.

Front main bearing issue and when you take off the pulley eliminates spinning load stress.

That’s my worst fear. Just rebuilt the 3FE from ground up.

Isn't the pulley what they call, "harmonically balanced". Hence it lost its moejoe and now it's harmonizing wrong.
See what I thought!! I have no idea what harmonically balanced means, but its been done to my TR3.

You appear to already be “harmonically balanced.”

Isn't the pulley what they call, "harmonically balanced". Hence it lost its moejoe and now it's harmonizing wrong.

See what I thought!! I have no idea what harmonically balanced means, but its been done to my TR3.

Would a machine shop be able to test/fix the harmonic balancer or do I need to replace it?

Not sure this is the correct forum, but it’s been good so far.
I have a 3FE in my 55, and the engine has developed a howl at the pulley on the front of the crank. While diagnosing, I removed the pulley from the crank and the noise stops.
Question is why would the pulley cause a howling sound with or without the belts attached?
Tell us more! 3FE in Pig?
Welcome Brother, there are only a few of us.
@abqcruiser

Interesting, one of my cruiser buddies sent me this the other day here in Illinois.
IMG_4260.jpeg
IMG_4259.jpeg

If the harmonic balancer is junk, then you’ll need to get a new one
Just pulled HB and removed pwr steering pulley.
Same howl.
Pulled the HB and have a significant gouge. Can’t figure out what caused this though.
Could this be the culprit?

IMG_1464.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom