Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone dropped one of the 79 bodies onto an imported 75 series chassis and drivetrain? My 1FZ-F with the H150F is a nice set up. The issue with a 25 yo FZJ75 here are the bodies are typically trashed. Everything on the drivetrain is rebuildable for the most part so as long as the frame is sound it might be an interesting way to go. Not sure how different the frames are on the narrow vs wide nose models.

Has anyone dropped one of the 79 bodies onto an imported 75 series chassis and drivetrain? My 1FZ-F with the H150F is a nice set up. The issue with a 25 yo FZJ75 here are the bodies are typically trashed. Everything on the drivetrain is rebuildable for the most part so as long as the frame is sound it might be an interesting way to go. Not sure how different the frames are on the narrow vs wide nose models.

Quite different frames. Wider by 80mm in the front to accommodate the 1VD-FTV engine.

Quite different frames. Wider by 80mm in the front to accommodate the 1VD-FTV engine.

So you would need to extend the frame mounts by 1.5" on the 75 frame front to fit the mounts on the 79 body? Doesn't sound any more difficult than putting it on an 80 frame but I've never done either.

So you would need to extend the frame mounts by 1.5" on the 75 frame front to fit the mounts on the 79 body? Doesn't sound any more difficult than putting it on an 80 frame but I've never done either.

He is talking difficult to fit engine not body.

Cheers

He is talking difficult to fit engine not body.

Cheers

I was talking about dropping that body on a GCC spec 75 series with a 1FZ-F. But I'm derailing this thread so I'll just be quiet now. :p

I was talking about dropping that body on a GCC spec 75 series with a 1FZ-F. But I'm derailing this thread so I'll just be quiet now. :p

Ya but the 75 is probably even more narrow than the 80 in the engine bay. I have measured it before and could dig up FSM frame specs but if I recall right it is at least 1/2” narrower than the 80.

Something else to note is the steering box is completely different as far as location on the frame and which direction it throws on an 80 vs a 70. I would personally really like to use the 79 box that came with the body. It’s brand new and rather stout looking.

Cheers

75/73 is 1" narrower frame at engine

Man, some crazy builds you got brewing. Very excited to see where this one is heading!

As for 1VD... Here are my 2 cents:
I have some connections in Russia. Russia happens to be one of the hottest LC markets in the world (hotter than Australia, in fact). And what im hearing from my contacts over there is that the 1VD is really starting to develop a reputation for all sorts of major issues. Far more so than the 1HD-series. Which is quite remarkable, considering that 1HD has been around for over a quarter of a century longer...

Having said this, 1VD swap on an 80-series chassis (and into the 80-series body for that matter) is entirely possible, and has been done in Russia as well.

I just don’t think I’m ready to pull trigger on the 1VD. Plus, cannot seem to locate a new one. The motor plans are coming together though and should be able to report more this Friday. Just need to confirm a few things.

1HDT will have you better prepared than a 1VD if there is ever an EMP attack. :)

88F1EF8B-939E-446F-8774-11C94204DE55.jpeg

9BFE0E45-15C2-49FC-8B7B-8BBC6AC7FA0D.jpeg

1HDT will have you better prepared than a 1VD if there is ever an EMP attack. :)

Personally for a diesel, that’s where it’s at for me. Even if FTE, meaning 1HDx family of engines. 350+hp and stupid torque is easily archived. Plenty reliable even built out.

Cheers

Well, that was fascinating. Can’t wait to see the directions this build goes.

Personally for a diesel, that’s where it’s at for me. Even if FTE, meaning 1HDx family of engines. 350+hp and stupid torque is easily archived. Plenty reliable even built out.

Cheers
The V8 is 10x better than the 1hz for example. Imho, nothing built in the last 10 years that normal people can own sounds as good as a 1VD. Plus, the torque curve kills the 1HD family. Flat right through

The V8 is 10x better than the 1hz for example. Imho, nothing built in the last 10 years that normal people can own sounds as good as a 1VD. Plus, the torque curve kills the 1HD family. Flat right through

Assuming you get the Cummins and Powerstroke V8 diesels in Australia as well, how does the 1VD compare to those two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom