Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Assuming you get the Cummins and Powerstroke V8 diesels in Australia as well, how does the 1VD compare to those two?
We get Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke but they're rare due to the price. We had a 16 ram 2500 Cummins and it was a nightmare, oil leaks etc. Glad to see it go and got an F250 Powerstroke and a GMC Sierra Duramax on the way. The 1VD is a much smaller engine but for perspective it's probably a scaled down Powerstroke/Duramax

We get Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke but they're rare due to the price. We had a 16 ram 2500 Cummins and it was a nightmare, oil leaks etc. Glad to see it go and got an F250 Powerstroke and a GMC Sierra Duramax on the way. The 1VD is a much smaller engine but for perspective it's probably a scaled down Powerstroke/Duramax

Thanks for your input. I was just curious. Diesels here are either really tiny or really big. Doesn't seem to be many in the 4.0L to 6.0L size range.

Sorry @jmlockwood for steering your build thread off course.

I've had the pleasure of being in the presence of a souped up 1VD and it sounded like it was going to suck my whole body in through the snorkel. It is on a completely different level then all the coal rolling powerstrokes, duramax's, etc. we are accustomed to.

We can officially (at least temporarily) end the engine discussion. I had previously sourced a brand new OEM Toyota 1HDFTE engine assembly. It was gorgeous and I had planned to put it in my 80 series. That worked for a few weeks until I bought this truck. So we have decided this truck will get the new engine instead of the 80 series. A new truck deserves a new engine. We are also going to run the newer H152 transmission. I placed an order this morning for the transmission, correct input shaft, and the HD bellhousing.

These are the engine photos as it arrived in Idaho. I think @SNLC has some updated ones after a few touch ups. Plus @Onur ordered more parts that I can care to admit to round out the engine in all new OEM shiny bits and pieces. Pretty cool engine though. I even got some nice documentation validating it to be a brand new and factory sealed unit.

C2E1800B-8B1E-4236-A558-DA40860D3A74.jpeg
B8AEFA66-9D09-49A3-8D5A-52022D2FDF68.jpeg
BC1A9BF1-C88E-4D1D-A175-9A4DA2A8CE46.jpeg
11E6F5B2-8060-4A05-A24D-9EFD26890871.jpeg

Assuming you get the Cummins and Powerstroke V8 diesels in Australia as well, how does the 1VD compare to those two?
Those 2 you mention are too heavy in most applications here. A 70 series is nothing like the size of a full size American pick up. They aren't really in the same weight class, a 6.7L powersmoke is heck of a lot more engine than the 4.5L 1VD.

In saying that, the 70 series here has no real competitor on the market at the moment.

You planning on using the axles from the donor truck? Have @SNLC check the VIN tag, but I'm pretty sure they're 3.727's. Might make for kinda tall gearing with an H152 (0.750 5th gear, aren't they?). Should be OK and keep the RPM's nice and casual on the freeway, but if you're going to have oversize tires it might be a bit much. Maybe.

You planning on using the axles from the donor truck? Have @SNLC check the VIN tag, but I'm pretty sure they're 3.727's. Might make for kinda tall gearing with an H152 (0.750 5th gear, aren't they?). Should be OK and keep the RPM's nice and casual on the freeway, but if you're going to have oversize tires it might be a bit much. Maybe.
We were planning to re-gear anyway.

With 365,000kms they need a go through.

*edit* I seem to keep getting confused which thread I am in! 🙄 It’s not just Johns projects in the shop going, we have others, tons of service going on and another 45-pickup coming in plus I am doing estimates multiple times a week for future work. In other words we are slammed!

Personally I am most stoked on the wiring harnesses. I have wanted from the start in this build to make it as Toyota would have. That is now much easier having a LHD FT donor truck with diff locks. I think we are going to use the entire wiring harnesses from this donor Cruiser. Pull them all out, clean up on the bench, rewrap and install in the red 1997 80. Nose to tail. 😁

Cheers

I run Factory locked 3:73 gearing with an H150 and 285’s and like it except for it feels like I need a taller 5th gear. I sent John a photo of why he should go for the H152 and he can post it if he’d like. Basically at 75mph your rpms are at about 2800+/- which for me is too high. Doable but high. I also run a Gturbo Grunter Extreme set to about 22psi max with my Safari intercooler. My point is plenty of power to push the taller gears. Plenty.

Jumping the gun a bit guys on things like diff gearing.

We haven’t even started talking much about tire size or any of that stuff.

You can be sure it is not something I just “wing it” for any build we do in my shop. They are ALL thought out four or five different times with all options and configurations discussed with my clients.

You don’t think John would ship his Cruisers across the country for my shop to work on and build if I was new to all this do you!? 😝😉😁

Cheers

As John mentioned, here is the brand new FTE getting the love. 🥰

E0787BFF-172C-4568-A338-4DED22961A7A.jpeg
31307617-BEC7-481D-8434-4C28F3AFF79E.jpeg
CBB620AE-44C5-4964-9669-2DD4A244041E.jpeg
4AC94A45-3010-4198-B012-706C3BD48F4F.jpeg
0FF961CB-8B04-456E-A2B8-B6138CAE9708.jpeg

The FTE, while painted far better by Toyota than the 1FZ short blocks I have been getting still needed some help in the paint department. There was thin paint here and there on it and also some “shadowing”. Well, we simply can’t have this long block rusting anytime soon after this build is done. So we taped the whole long block off, scuffed it all and sprayed it with a high quality 2000* engine paint. It is good and coated now.

Realize we had nothing besides the long block to start with. No nuts, bolts, washers or studs to bolt things on. We also have some interesting hurdles to overcome which I will detail when the issues are solved. I have been working close with @Onur on all of this and he has kept a steady stream of parts coming in from around the world. He also sourced us the valve cover-cover which is currently lipstick red in color. This is one of a few NLA FTE parts and he found it used in Japan. We will be dumping the lipstick on it, painting, detailing it and so forth. All in good time. 😉

Cheers

Last edited:
Lastly, what have we been discussing and planning in the last 10-14 days?

What frame to use.

What suspension it will run, meaning coils all around or ??

What engine and trans to use.

What bed we are using.

What seats we will use and their configuration with a console.

All three of us working together have most of that worked out and more. Like I say, all in good time it will ALL come together and be revealed. 😉

Cheers

Last edited:
As John mentioned, here is the brand new FTE getting the love. 🥰

The FTE, while painted far better by Toyota than the 1FZ short blocks I have been getting still needed some help in the paint department. There was thin paint here and there on it and also some “shadowing”. Well, we simply can’t have this long block rusting anytime soon after this build is done. So we taped the whole long block off, scuffed it all and sprayed it with a high quality 2000* engine paint. It is good and coated now.

Realize we had nothing besides the long block to start with. No nuts, bolts, washers or studs to bolt things on. We also have some interesting hurdles to overcome which I will detail when the issues are solved. I have been working close with @Onur on all of this and he has kept a steady stream of parts coming in from around the world. He also sourced us the valve cover-cover which is currently lipstick red in color. This is one of a few NLA FTE parts and he found it used in Japan. We will be dumping the lipstick on it, painting, detailing it and so forth. All in good time. 😉

Cheers

Hello,

So that is how a "partial engine assembly" looks like. Interesting.

Looking forward to see the completed engine.

Keep up the good work.

Juan

Thanks for taking the time to document the builds with such detail, sure it will be epic!

Now all the cool mechanical eye candy pictures of the new engine are moved to this thread from the 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HD-FT + H152F thread.

Excellent news!

So we have just learned something new. For a couple weeks now @Onur and myself have been working on an issue with the FTE.

This NOS FTE was specific to a HDJ101. I would have never guessed this but it seems an FTE for this series (HDJ100 too? I have not referenced part #’s to confirm but I suspect yes this is an IFS truck thing) Has the timing case gears cut the opposite direction from a HDJ78/79. Or for that matter the opposite direction compared to your entire 1HDx family of engines and including the 1PZ/1HZ.

We had got a vac pump for a 78/79 which by the way is the same as all 1HDx/1HZ and even 1PZ. The gears are cut the opposite direction from what is loaded up in the FTE case. Some of these parts are NLA, for example the HDJ101 vac pump or its gear.

So now that we are going with the 79 steering box we wanted the pump to match. That just came in the other day.

HDJ78/79 on left and HDJ101 on right.

C6AF4ABC-91A1-4B0A-BB07-AC1AD97AA1FE.jpeg

4A91376D-8840-4EA4-A3FB-248CB43A2CC5.jpeg

Here you can see the cut on the gears is the opposite direction.

B8DFECF0-E8B6-4601-8636-3EB67483771B.jpeg

So to solve this problem we have a couple options. I have a used FTE vac pump in route from a 100/101 series. Thanks to @chapel gate for the assistance! However the better option is to simply run the HDJ78/79 p/s pump and vac pump. This means we need to crack open the timing case and swap out the gears. I believe we already have all these in hand, double checking in about 20 minutes. 😁

Anyways, I imagine only Aussies May have encountered this before since the HDJ78/79 and the HDJ100 were both sold there and nowhere else in the world.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom