Builds 2007 LX470 Super Cruiser build with Elate Mfg Supercharger (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm installing my APEX 12000 and trying to figure out where to mount the controller box. How did you get it mounted? Mind sharing a picture?
Check out this video at 1:55. I pulled the guts out of the control box and mounted it behind the passenger side headlight.

New exhaust! I got the X-Force exhaust from Australia. It's a really nice looking 3" exhaust with 2.4" y-pipes. I have some plans for this exhaust before I install it so I will post up once I do my little tweaks.

I ended up ordering from CBS Racing out of the Netherlands. Believe it or not I couldn't actually order from Australia. I actually purchased it from 5 or so different shops in Australia but they all refunded my money and claimed they couldn't ship it to me. I am not sure why as I've bought lots of stuff from Australia before. CBS Racing was able to complete the order so this exhaust made a pit stop in Europe before heading my way. CBS Racing was great to deal with and kept me informed so I would definitely recommend going through them. This is the exact product I ordered: Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series V8 Wagon 1998-2007 Cat-Back System (E4-TL108-CBS) - XForce - https://www.cbsracingshop.com/en/toyota-landcruiser-100-series-v8-wagon-1998-2007-cat-back-system-e4-tl108-cbs-xforce

Really looking forward to getting this installed as I am pretty sure the Borla is forming a restriction, especially with the blower. The Borla is only 2.25" so the 3" will really open it up after the cats.

The Xforce system looks really well made and includes a full set of adapters, gaskets, and new bolts. I will post up any problems I have installing it but I am not expecting any drama. From my research the 4.7L V8 100 series exhaust is the same in Australia as it is here.

yON1wCa.jpg

bxScf9x.jpg

IZ0pVDk.jpg

93aQd0c.jpg

Really looking forward to getting this installed as I am pretty sure the Borla is forming a restriction, especially with the blower. The Borla is only 2.25" so the 3" will really open it up after the cats.

That looks awesome! I don't have a S/C, so happy to take that Borla off your hands depending on the price!

Need that cover for the winch as well, I agree 100% when the synthetic rope is exposed to all elements it will wear out faster.

Aussie 3-inch exhaust installed. Fit really nicely considering the size. It's pretty close to one of the rear control arm mounts and the corner of the gas tank. I was able to use a pry bar and get some more space near the gas tank. I used some bailing wire to pull the exhaust away from the control arm mount, in my experience after some heat cycles it will retain that shape after the wire is cut away. Otherwise it fit just about perfect. I cut and shut the rear tube before the resonator to gain more clearance in the back, same mod I did to my Borla. With a stock rear bumper it should fit fine.

Overall the sound is dead sexy. Really loving it. Will try to get some video soon.

Compared to Borla:

U29Wkpz.jpg

hKsgDVA.jpg

LdPiEP0.jpg

I also took the opportunity to bulk up my heatshielding around the gas tank and fuel lines.

pjwFLh5.jpg

ZZSNlUc.jpg

uuH23L4.jpeg

Last edited:
Nicely done! How have the air bags in the back springs worked out for you?
They work great. Definitely a must have if you tow a lot. With the self leveling of the AHC they just work great. Towed thousands of miles with them and about to tow about another thousand next weekend.

The 3" exhaust was totally worth it. Definitely more power and the sound is just awesome. I towed my 80 series about 1100 miles a couple weeks ago and could definitely notice a gain in power, even at part throttle. Made it much easier to go up hills and mountain passes. I usually tow at 70 MPH and an ecoboost 3.5L F-150 blew past me on a flat section but I caught up to him and passed him at the next mountain pass and I never saw him again. He was towing a small travel trailer that was probably about the same as my load if not lighter.

This past weekend I drove out to Lincoln, NE and back with no trailer, just wife and dogs. Truck performed awesome as usual. I can now say with confidence that E85 is completely worth it. I really notice almost no difference in MPG with E85 vs. 91 octane. MPG pretty much only depends on the speed I drive and whether it's flat or hilly. Was getting 13 MPG at 75 MPH with E85 and 13.7 MPG at 75 MPH with 91 octane.

I was again blown away by the speed of my truck down at only 1000 ft elevation in Lincoln. I was ripping around big time :hillbilly: It's downright fast. I decided to order a smaller pulley for the blower.

Lastly, I noticed that after 8 hours on the road the truck was getting lethargic and at partial load would sometimes run lean, fuel pressure was weak, and it would hesitate from a stop if I stomped on it. I think it just comes down to the 2-speed fuel pump setup on the VVTI 100s. It runs the fuel pump at a lower voltage at low speeds and idle and then increases the voltage at high RPM. Doesn't make much sense to me but I'm sure there's a reason Toyota did it.

I decided to ditch this 2-speed system by removing the fuel pump relay so the pump gets constant voltage all the time. I followed @white_lx s ideas in a previous thread here: Engine shutting off during long trips. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/engine-shutting-off-during-long-trips.739113/page-14#post-13265637

Basically I just made a jumper and put it in the relay's normally-on positions so it will never divert power through the fuel pump resistor. Resistors increase resistance with heat so driving long distances on a hot day could reduce the voltage to the fuel pump even more. When the truck is cold it runs fine then as it heats up it causes problems. The fuel pump should also run cooler at a higher voltage (counter-intuitive but true).

I immediately noticed my fuel pressure bumped up about 5 psi at idle. Will report back if there are any issues.

Jumper:
DsHXpoa.jpg

In place of relay:
EdfmD2A.jpg

Exhaust got a nice golden hue to it after some driving. Looks sweet!

oIf6iKT.jpg

Looking forward whenever you have the chance to post videos of the exhaust sound.

Nice!! With E85 boost it !
I can't go too crazy as it still has to run on pump gas when necessary. I do road trips out of state a lot and in places like Utah there are basically 0 E85 stations. I think there is only one in the whole state of Utah. Oregon also has 0 E85 stations. However, when I drive through the midwest like KS, NE, MO, OK etc there is E85 practically everywhere. There is tons of E85 in Colorado too.

Last edited:
Sweet… sound.

Have a question: the super changer where and what mods did you have to do to make
It run correctly no ping, leaning out ect. Are you stuck on super or use standard no lead or e85 only gas. I have many miles in trd supercharger 3.4 v6 and 7-10 psi pulleys. Does the stock ecm map work well or ? Now normal driving the MPG. I recently installed part time 4x2, 10 percent under drive gears in transfer case, and my drivability has improved significantly. Plus Borla exhaust.
My mileage to from Colorado 10000 feet from 800 feet 15.2 mpg loaded from Colorado 60-65 12-13 78-85 mph interstate. Going up to Colorado 12-13
Hiway speeds. 70-85.

In town 10-11 … but way more agile and fun to drive.

Sweet… sound.

Have a question: the super changer where and what mods did you have to do to make
It run correctly no ping, leaning out ect. Are you stuck on super or use standard no lead or e85 only gas. I have many miles in trd supercharger 3.4 v6 and 7-10 psi pulleys. Does the stock ecm map work well or ? Now normal driving the MPG. I recently installed part time 4x2, 10 percent under drive gears in transfer case, and my drivability has improved significantly. Plus Borla exhaust.
My mileage to from Colorado 10000 feet from 800 feet 15.2 mpg loaded from Colorado 60-65 12-13 78-85 mph interstate. Going up to Colorado 12-13
Hiway speeds. 70-85.

In town 10-11 … but way more agile and fun to drive.
I have not modified the ECU at all, it's all stock still. It runs the blower just fine. I have an A.P.E. Flex Fuel kit which adjusts fuel depending on ethanol content. I run on 91 Premium gas or E85 or anything in between. The only mod I've done is add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator which increases fuel pressure 1 psi per 1 psi of boost which keeps the fuel in line with the boost. I have an AEM wideband gauge which I use to monitor air fuel ratios. So far I'm really surprised with how little I've had to do. The 2UZ ECU is really advanced and it adjusts timing depending on the fuel. At WOT I've seen it adjust timing about 10 degrees from running E85 at altitude to 91 octane at sea level. No ping at all. I also upgraded to an AEM fuel pump awhile back when my stock pump was getting weak and did the resistor delete I detailed a few posts up.

Fuel pressure regulator: https://amzn.to/3PA9alF
AEM wideband: https://amzn.to/3ZybApz
AEM E85 compatible fuel pump: https://amzn.to/46bm9RZ

I have not modified the ECU at all, it's all stock still. It runs the blower just fine. I have an A.P.E. Flex Fuel kit which adjusts fuel depending on ethanol content. I run on 91 Premium gas or E85 or anything in between. The only mod I've done is add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator which increases fuel pressure 1 psi per 1 psi of boost which keeps the fuel in line with the boost. I have an AEM wideband gauge which I use to monitor air fuel ratios. So far I'm really surprised with how little I've had to do. The 2UZ ECU is really advanced and it adjusts timing depending on the fuel. At WOT I've seen it adjust timing about 10 degrees from running E85 at altitude to 91 octane at sea level. No ping at all. I also upgraded to an AEM fuel pump awhile back when my stock pump was getting weak and did the resistor delete I detailed a few posts up.

Fuel pressure regulator: https://amzn.to/3PA9alF
AEM wideband: https://amzn.to/3ZybApz
AEM E85 compatible fuel pump: https://amzn.to/46bm9RZ
Studying the layout of Elate and brand X can’t remember, my truck must be special because of the throttle body plate is mechanical with throttle cable and it also has a cruise control aucuator on the drivers side of the throttle plate. I think 99 was the last year for this plus non VVTI. I understand by my yota Supra friends the Non VVTI has stronger rods but 2 main bolt block 5 bearing caps. So pay attention to amount of boost he told me on VVTI engines because they have light weight rods. Just passing info from a guy that builds hi performance supras in line engines and 1500 HP dyno pulls.

Toyota TRD said 118 HP gain with there SC back in the day I don’t know if it was Intercooled of not. That is significant. From experience of the Sc V6 3.4 fuel octane was crucial with non intercooling so methanol 7th injector to spay the intake to lower combustion temps was adapted. I don’t want to mess with that on this projext on my 4.7.

You paving the way really helps clear up the concerns I have. “Fuel management “ the fuel pump change and raising 1 psi to 1 pound of boost it the ticket. Stock ecm map will take the rest and not lean out while boosting. Now the Monitering is critical to catch an issue before damage would occur is smart. Hence wide band O2 Moniter.

I haven’t heard back from either company in Aus on the Supercharger if it can be made to work on my setup manual TB with cruise. I sure hope so or a ditch the cruise actuator and modify the throttle body … I hope that isn’t the case.

Brand X version has the air intake in the back tb in the passenger side of engine by pictures. Claims fits 98- 07 2UZ engines 4.7. Who knows.

Pics vers actual parts in hand can be different.

My throttle body will not bolt up to your version Sc as it is now. Unless the TB is rotated. Clocked different to clear the cruise and water hose connections.

It appears I have some details to work out on my 99. But if I can I will join the Sc club. The E85 here Vrs standard low lead low grade is .50 less. 91-93 anoint 1.50 per gal less. That’s significant at 11-13 mpg … to be able to burn e85 and not be married to Super all the time.

Thanks again

Tex

Studying the layout of Elate and brand X can’t remember, my truck must be special because of the throttle body plate is mechanical with throttle cable and it also has a cruise control aucuator on the drivers side of the throttle plate. I think 99 was the last year for this plus non VVTI. I understand by my yota Supra friends the Non VVTI has stronger rods but 2 main bolt block 5 bearing caps. So pay attention to amount of boost he told me on VVTI engines because they have light weight rods. Just passing info from a guy that builds hi performance supras in line engines and 1500 HP dyno pulls.

Toyota TRD said 118 HP gain with there SC back in the day I don’t know if it was Intercooled of not. That is significant. From experience of the Sc V6 3.4 fuel octane was crucial with non intercooling so methanol 7th injector to spay the intake to lower combustion temps was adapted. I don’t want to mess with that on this projext on my 4.7.

You paving the way really helps clear up the concerns I have. “Fuel management “ the fuel pump change and raising 1 psi to 1 pound of boost it the ticket. Stock ecm map will take the rest and not lean out while boosting. Now the Monitering is critical to catch an issue before damage would occur is smart. Hence wide band O2 Moniter.

I haven’t heard back from either company in Aus on the Supercharger if it can be made to work on my setup manual TB with cruise. I sure hope so or a ditch the cruise actuator and modify the throttle body … I hope that isn’t the case.

Brand X version has the air intake in the back tb in the passenger side of engine by pictures. Claims fits 98- 07 2UZ engines 4.7. Who knows.

Pics vers actual parts in hand can be different.

My throttle body will not bolt up to your version Sc as it is now. Unless the TB is rotated. Clocked different to clear the cruise and water hose connections.

It appears I have some details to work out on my 99. But if I can I will join the Sc club. The E85 here Vrs standard low lead low grade is .50 less. 91-93 anoint 1.50 per gal less. That’s significant at 11-13 mpg … to be able to burn e85 and not be married to Super all the time.

Thanks again

Tex
That's a rumor that goes around but I haven't seen any evidence the VVTI rods are smaller/weaker than the non-VVTI 2UZ. I'm pretty sure all 2UZs have exactly the same rods. The 1UZ definitely has stronger rods than 2UZs but I'm not convinced the VVTI 2UZ is any weaker.

I flipped my throttle body 180 degrees when installing the Elate blower, that's part of the process. I'm sure the Elate blower will fit on your older truck. Just check with Travis at Elate for confirmation. They recently moved from Aus to NZ so they may be a little slow to respond right now, but I've always had awesome support from Elate. I highly recommend that company.

That's a rumor that goes around but I haven't seen any evidence the VVTI rods are smaller/weaker than the non-VVTI 2UZ. I'm pretty sure all 2UZs have exactly the same rods. The 1UZ definitely has stronger rods than 2UZs but I'm not convinced the VVTI 2UZ is any weaker.

I flipped my throttle body 180 degrees when installing the Elate blower, that's part of the process. I'm sure the Elate blower will fit on your older truck. Just check with Travis at Elate for confirmation. They recently moved from Aus to NZ so they may be a little slow to respond right now, but I've always had awesome support from Elate. I highly recommend that company.
Flip, man mike is bulky I took the engine cover off this morning to look , didn’t take a pic ! But it extends nearly inline with the edge of the valve cover to the left drivers side. The right throttle cable is just inside the edge of the top outer intake bolt line. Freaking thing is huge. Flip 90? Maybe ? Yeah wait for the guys to get back to me.

My friend called the VVTI 2UZ “light weight rods” his term in comparison. I personally haven’t weighed them to know. He builds yoya lexus engines with turbos for clients that never had them.

I used to tell him out a turbo on my lawn mower! He said bring it down!

One way is check yota part numbers and see if they changed and why ?

Yeah near sea level here and E85 plentiful around.

With the 10% under and part time is about as quick as a IS250. Lexus now. One tried to pull on me at a light. He couldn’t, but That not saying much tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom