Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDMBC, man that truck is looking great!
Bring it down for our Coastal Cruisers club show and shine in Squamish August 12th and say hi!

JDMBC, man that truck is looking great!
Bring it down for our Coastal Cruisers club show and shine in Squamish August 12th and say hi!

Cheers!!

I would 100% be down for a Squamish trip if I can get the time off!

Been another hot minute since I’ve posted. Have added a few things to the 79 that I’m pretty happy with.

First off I got my ARB Solis spotties wired in. There are a lot of options on the market these days when it comes to spotties but the ARB Solis ticked all the boxes for me and the price was hard to beat. I opted for the flood/spot combo. These lights have some serious throw.

IMG_3355.jpeg

The BC overland rally is coming up and a Bushwakka 270 awning (for sale demo unit) was offered to me as an added bonus to show off at the show. I couldn’t say no to free shade. I have to say I’m pretty stoked on the Bushwakka product. The built in LED strip lighting is a really nice touch and the install was a breeze. The awning itself is mounted to QuickPitch load bars. It will be nice to compare the QuickPitch 270 (seen on many rigs locally) against the Bushwakka which is a relatively new offering to NA customers.

IMG_3911.jpeg

As mentioned the built in flush mount LEDs are a great feature!

IMG_3944.jpeg

Night demo! 3 different light settings including amber.

IMG_3953.jpeg

Been out camping twice now and it’s been an amazing unit for hauling all the gear around with the added bonus of locking it all in the canopy.

I had the pleasure of using my new Snowmaster 67DZ Expedition fridge recently and what a treat! Huge upgrade over the traditional ice chest. Game changer in my opinion.

I have not been able to settle on how I want to run my electronics yet (hardwire or portable) but so far the Dometic PLB40 with optional solar has been sufficient for my needs.

Also picked up a Renogy EFlex 120W portable solar blanket and then had to build up a the wiring for it. My anal retentiveness and the need to customize clearly for the best of me.

MC4 connector to Anderson plug sheathed with some fancy Amazon product.

Rather satisfying and come on… who doesn’t get satisfaction out of using a heat gun and shrink tubing.

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3763.jpeg

Looking great! Those lights look like a great choice. A 270 is. Welcome addition for sure. Wonder if Merritt will need it for sun or moisture? Looking forward to seeing it at BCOR but OldBetsy and her patina will probably have to stay a long ways away! 🤣☺️

Looking great! Those lights look like a great choice. A 270 is. Welcome addition for sure. Wonder if Merritt will need it for sun or moisture? Looking forward to seeing it at BCOR but OldBetsy and her patina will probably have to stay a long ways away! 🤣☺️
Thank you! Yes the integrated lights are certainly a highlight. Let’s hope there’s a little bit of moisture in Merritt. Maybe a mid day cool down?

Don’t sell Oldbetsy short! Can’t wait to see her!

We had a Bushwakka trailer mounted family tent for about 10-years. It held up great. Had no issues at all with it over the time that I owned it.

How are the LEDs powered? Battery pack or wired into your truck power?

We had a Bushwakka trailer mounted family tent for about 10-years. It held up great. Had no issues at all with it over the time that I owned it.

How are the LEDs powered? Battery pack or wired into your truck power?
That’s good news! The construction of the awning seems up to snuff and looks to hopefully last a good while.

The LEDs plug in via battery pack. Currently the Dometic PLB40 does the trick. You can faintly see the round switches.

IMG_3937.jpeg

Hey mate! This truck is looking absolutely mad! I just recently purchased a 99 HZJ75 firetruck and going to use your truck as a inspiration. I was wondering for your front bull bar and diesel/fuel tank, whats the model number you ordered? Is the fuel tank a stock one? is it the 75 L one and was it a straight bolt in. Right now I'm running a "bespoke" rectangle tank and I don't really like where it sits. If its already been listed I apologize in advance!

Ta!

I've seen this in person now, and it was as ridiculously cool as I expected. Maybe more so! Add to that the owner is a super cool guy! Awesome all around... 👍

Hey mate! This truck is looking absolutely mad! I just recently purchased a 99 HZJ75 firetruck and going to use your truck as a inspiration. I was wondering for your front bull bar and diesel/fuel tank, whats the model number you ordered? Is the fuel tank a stock one? is it the 75 L one and was it a straight bolt in. Right now I'm running a "bespoke" rectangle tank and I don't really like where it sits. If its already been listed I apologize in advance!

Ta!
Cheers!! Congrats on your purchase on your 75! You’ll have a riot building it out as I have with my truck.

The fuel tank I have in my 79 is from an ex-mining 79 series single cab and has a 90L capacity. Depending on how thick your wallet is I’d consider a LongRanger tank. I’ll see if I can dig up a part number for the tank.

As for the bar it is ARB Bull Bar #ARB3412130

Hope that helps!

Cheers!! Congrats on your purchase on your 75! You’ll have a riot building it out as I have with my truck.

The fuel tank I have in my 79 is from an ex-mining 79 series single cab and has a 90L capacity. Depending on how thick your wallet is I’d consider a LongRanger tank. I’ll see if I can dig up a part number for the tank.

As for the bar it is ARB Bull Bar #ARB3412130

Hope that helps!
Thanks for that! I've been looking at an LRA, and I'm assuming the hzj75 single cab tank will fit? I can't seem to find a good pic where I can size it up and see if it clears the frame cross member

Just ordered my dual cab 79 roof with front and middle strut brace. I ordered from Megazip, fingers crossed. Is there anything else I should order? what company did you go through to order your roof? Cheers!

Just ordered my dual cab 79 roof with front and middle strut brace. I ordered from Megazip, fingers crossed. Is there anything else I should order? what company did you go through to order your roof? Cheers!
Fantastic! It’s a big job but worth the cost and time. Really transforms the truck imo. You’ll just need the roof and the middle brace. The front brace is not required.

I believe I used Partsouq for the roof itself and maybe megazip for the cross member. Shouldn’t need anything.

Thanks for that! I've been looking at an LRA, and I'm assuming the hzj75 single cab tank will fit? I can't seem to find a good pic where I can size it up and see if it clears the frame cross member
I would think the single cab tank would fit not issues. Either way you’ll have to make some modifications with a cross member to seat the tank in.

Some recent updates. Due to all the added weight in the rear end, and more to come I decided to do an add-a-leaf to the rear leaf pack. It was a good excuse to get two 79’s together as well 😝. Thanks to @Kroll for the hand in tackling this one.

IMG_4245.jpeg

@Kroll wrenching away!

IMG_4241.jpeg

Most recent purchase was this Clearview fridge slide that I found locally of all places. Keen to get it all installed after a few custom mods are made to it to fit to the rails of the canopy.

IMG_4336.jpeg

Still working on getting the layout dialled for me and the families needs. A modular system would be ideal as those needs will change but that is the goal!

Fridge drop down slide is in and boy am I stoked. No more pulling out the step ladder to see into the fridge.

IMG_4521.jpeg

And in the dropped position!

IMG_4524.jpeg

Next up is picking up x4 NSR cambuckle tie downs to replace my temporary YETI tie downs.

I did pick up an ARB cable management gadget that should keep the cables all nice and tidy.

Additionally I picked up a 3mm 4x6 rubber mat and cut to suit. Thank you Amazon.

IMG_4515.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom