Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey mate, I am pricing long ranger tanks, you mentioned yours had the stock VDJ79 single cab OEM fuel tank, so does that mean the long ranger should be spec'd for a 79 single cab? I'm worried the tank might not fit length wise, I got heaps of room vertically but if its too long or something I'd be in trouble. Cheers

Hey mate, I am pricing long ranger tanks, you mentioned yours had the stock VDJ79 single cab OEM fuel tank, so does that mean the long ranger should be spec'd for a 79 single cab? I'm worried the tank might not fit length wise, I got heaps of room vertically but if its too long or something I'd be in trouble. Cheers
Yeah i likely have a HZJ79 tank from an ex mine truck here in Canada. Not sure what the difference between the VDJ79 or if there is one.

My guess is if your building out a 75 series I would be going with the 75 series single cab tank. When I spoke with LR the correspondent bet me a 100$ I didnā€™t have a 79ā€¦ needless to say he owes me a 100$.

I think either way you may have to do some fabricating for a cross member or tabs but thatā€™s easy enough once you have the tank.

Quick lap into the woods for a Christmas tree!

IMG_5762.jpeg

It was a success!!

IMG_5760.jpeg

Also waiting on these!
Factory molded headliner thanks to Mr. Steadman!

IMG_5748.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to admit Garrett, I've been quietly looking at pickups since this summer when I got a good walk around of your rig.

Ssshhh. Don't tell olBetsy.

Your machine is really coming along! Have a great holiday season dude! Hopefully we'll see you sometime in the new year!

I have to admit Garrett, I've been quietly looking at pickups since this summer when I got a good walk around of your rig.

Ssshhh. Don't tell olBetsy.

Your machine is really coming along! Have a great holiday season dude! Hopefully we'll see you sometime in the new year!
Hah your secret is safe with me!! She would understand right!?

Appreciate the kind words! Itā€™s a slow progress but certainly coming along. The headliner was the final piece to the interior. Hopefully Iā€™ll tackle it all with the carpet and such come spring.

Hopefully see you this year! Have a Merry Christmas!

New roof line looks so good! And you couldn't have hauled a tree in style with the ol' high roof.
Hah no no you could not! The new roof line completely transforms the look. Hopefully get a Rhino Rack on there or FR next year! Can never have enough storage!

Part #: PZQ1460030 for AUS Market only from what I gather.
They simply clip onto the upper and lower parts of the grill. Well designed and add a unique look to the old narrow nose 70's.

2300kms later and Iā€™m back home with an entirely different animal of a truck. I couldnā€™t not be happier. First an foremost credit due to @Kroll for his hospitality, time, generosity, beer, and the list goes on. Couldnā€™t have done it with out ya buddy.

Drove 9 hours to @Kroll place with a rear and sub tank strapped to my mock flat deck. Safely delivered. Check.

Wrenched the entire next day completing the castor correction from OME, the 15mm spacers for the front coils, Superior Engineering extended shackles for the rear, coolant reservoir delete, and removed a few of the unnecessary mechanical pieces from the pre-existing pump. Check.

The next day drove over and hour to the SET head quarters for the tray install as well as a new ARB roo bar. Check.

Specs on the tray:
- 72ā€ flat deck (72x66)
- Custom Land Cruiser headboard
- Side gate kit
- Plug and play wiring LED
- 33ā€ fenders
- Rear 32ā€ locking tool boxes
- Rear pull out 5ft locking drawer
- 12.5 gallon (47L) water tank
- 6 tie down points

Could not be more tickled with the overall turn out and attention to detail that SET puts into their trays!! Quality hand crafted Canadian built product!

Drove 1150km home one happy guy. Check.

View attachment 3064654

View attachment 3064655

View attachment 3064656

View attachment 3064657

View attachment 3064658
So this SET tray is a fantastic complement to the truck.

I am thinking about doing a similar build.

What, if any, modification to the frame rails/mounts is required to accommodate mounting one of these trays?

Such a cool build, nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom