20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Over the weekend I pulled off all of my radiator hoses and ordered new replacement hoses. Toyota dealership claims they aren't available which inthink just means he doesn't want to spend time to look for em. But I found them at O-reiley, and that will have to work.
I also forked over $1800 for tires, but the tire guy still hasn't found anything in 32 or 33x 9.50. For a 15" rim, nothing that I'm thrilled with anyway...
So I'm $1800 lighter and still don't know what I paid $1800 for, specifically. Not a great feeling TBH.

That's my update, its getting close to go time and its still not running yet. My fuel filter was supposed to have arrived Saturday. Haven't seen it yet. Luckily if I have to push it back A week or 3 nobody dies. I'll be slightly disappointed but that's ok. Theres a lot more stuff here that needs attention than I initially thought.
Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words.

15" tires like that are getting really hard to find, especially if you happen to be out of town and need one. Maybe think about going to 16" wheels that have a broader selection.

I think the market for tall skinnies is dwindling. I guess I am like the rest of the meat heads and like em a little thick.

15" tires like that are getting really hard to find, especially if you happen to be out of town and need one. Maybe think about going to 16" wheels that have a broader selection.
I think I've got my bases covered by having 2 spares. If I'm out of town and need 3, then I'll be figuring hard and fast ...

I like the plastic see-through fuel filters, they might get you running while waiting for the correct filter. O'Reilly has them...
Toyo makes some very good tires

20220925_134037.jpg

Got my tires today, I was ecstatic until I got them home and they are toyo open country SxS tires. Not truck tires, not even legal to use on the street. What I needed was toyo open country M/T.
They do look great though.
Now I have to be the a****** who returns 6 custom ordered tires because they ordered the wrong stuff.

Today I dumped 10 gallons of fresh gasoline in the ol girl and primed it to the pump. Started up with a bit of cranking and idled high. (Carburetors are supposed to idle high on cold start).
Hey now that's progress.
This weekend is very busy but I'm hoping to put the radiator hoses on it, and go for a short drive on the farm here just to see how it works and what sort of memories it brings back.

Got my tires today, I was ecstatic until I got them home and they are toyo open country SxS tires. Not truck tires, not even legal to use on the street. What I needed was toyo open country M/T.
They do look great though.
Now I have to be the a****** who returns 6 custom ordered tires because they ordered the wrong stuff.
I started to say when you ordered those that they only come in an off-road only version in that size. I just assumed you were aware.

today I brought home 6 tires, bolted them on and warmed up the engine.
Then I pushed a dead tractor out of my way and backed the Landcruiser out of the garage for the first time in several years.
The excitement had just begun because when I took off down the street it fell flat on its face, right in front of my neighbors house and wouldn't start.

I found the coil wire had slipped off its nipple and voila it started!
I backed slowly home, and took a spin through our feild which I come to find out is still pretty sloppy and wet. Anyway I got it back on the driveway, everything seemed to be going ok, and I took off down the street again. Once again it fell flat on its face. Took several minutes of cranking to get it to start back up.
I think it is starving for fuel and I think I need to replace the original fuel pump.

I think it is starving for fuel and I think I need to replace the original fuel pump.
The porthole window in the front of the float bowl is terrific for diagnosing this.
Rebuild kits for your fuel pump are again available...

The porthole window in the front of the float bowl is terrific for diagnosing this.
Rebuild kits for your fuel pump are again available...
My boss asked this morning if I wanted any help locating a diaphragm kit for the fuel pump.
I declined because I remember that the main oil leak i had years ago was from the pivot on the fuel pump rod.
It wollowed out a hole big enough to drip motor oil while running so I forked over $200 for a genuine new replacement.
It's in the mail.

I got a call from the tire guy, he found some Toyo tires in 33x9.50 r15
Hes getting me those ×6 and it only raised the price $250.
2050.00 for 6 mud tires.
QTY 6?
Two spares?
I am sure you have a plan.
My guess is those Toyos will age out before you wear them out.
You can probably manage w/ a single spare.

Toyo tires seem to be good tires, at least for me. I run them on the wagon and my Ram 5500.
I have had good experiences w/ Toyo.
My buddy feels like his are a little loud, but these will be on a Pig, you will probably never notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom