1FZ Engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm most likely about to do a rebuild on my 1FZ engine ('95 model with 289k miles). For you folks who have done this, I've got a few questions:

- What online rebuild kit/part suppliers do you like? I've read a few folks mentioned on this forum, but am not sure how to find them (ie. I've seen folks talk about Beno, George, and Curt. Do they have websites you can share?) I have found kits on Yotashop.com and LCEperformance.com, but want to hear what others have found.

- What parts should I consider changing while I'm at it? I just rebuild my power steering pump. I will most likely go ahead and change the oil pump, water pump, timing components, and the hard-to-reach fuel filter. What else should I consider?

- Where can I find a Factory Service Manual?

- What advice can you share, surprises you ran into, etc....?

Thanks in advance for the help!

:edit: double post--internetz broken today?

Last edited:
Depends on what the cylinder walls and crank looks like. 90% of the time you can just slap new rings and bearings on the bottom end and have the head worked. Good for another 250k then.

When I rebuilt mine I got a kit from @beno , that was when he was still working for a dealership. I don't remember if it was all included or he pieced everything together but it got the rear main, the seal behind the torque converter and pretty much everything else. I bought my own FIPG for the oil pans but you may as well have him add that to the list as well. You can probably piece together everything on your own and maybe save some % and shipping, but the convenience of getting it all from one place and not having to figure out all of the part numbers will be worth it on this big of a job. It was for me at least.

For the bottom end I replaced all big end and main bearings with Clevite (made in Japan) It didn't actually need them but hey, I was there. I did NPR rings, which I believe is the OEM supplier. If you do new rings, and you should, you will need to have the bores step honed. If you click on my link below for big red restoration you will get plenty of ideas of what you can do "while your in there."

I’m just throwing it out there... you can always get a NEW OEM short block from Toyota.

I’m just throwing it out there... you can always get a NEW OEM short block from Toyota.

Yessir. Though there are pros and cons with this direction as well, depending on whom you speak with.

Nine in the country. Not bad for an engine that was last in the US 21 years ago.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 22.32.58.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 22.33.08.png

@beno. He helped me with mine. Awesome.

Yessir. Though there are pros and cons with this direction as well, depending on whom you speak with.
Nine in the country. Not bad for an engine that was last in the US 21 years ago.
This is the direction I took last year after spinning a rod bearing. After calculating the local cost of machining, bearings, rings, buckets and gasket sets along with rust in the water jackets, I decided to go with a new factory short block. The cost was just a few hundred more. Onur set me up with everything.

Great info. Thanks! I’m sure I’ll be in touch with you @beno. I would like to check the wear before deciding on a bore job and that could mean piecing a kit together.

Searching for that pdf FSM now. I’m fine with not paying an arm and leg for the real deal.

I'm most likely about to do a rebuild on my 1FZ engine ('95 model with 289k miles). For you folks who have done this, I've got a few questions:

- What online rebuild kit/part suppliers do you like? I've read a few folks mentioned on this forum, but am not sure how to find them (ie. I've seen folks talk about Beno, George, and Curt. Do they have websites you can share?) I have found kits on Yotashop.com and LCEperformance.com, but want to hear what others have found.

- What parts should I consider changing while I'm at it? I just rebuild my power steering pump. I will most likely go ahead and change the oil pump, water pump, timing components, and the hard-to-reach fuel filter. What else should I consider?

- Where can I find a Factory Service Manual?

- What advice can you share, surprises you ran into, etc....?

Thanks in advance for the help!
I’m curious about what’s up with your engine that’s prompting this rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom