Builds 1989 GCC Spec FJ62 G Trim (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can't wait to see the winch all done. Fairlead mounted to the face of the bumper?

Yes the hawse fairlead will be mounted directly to the bumper. Am still working on adding more support for the winch plate. Might look at boxing it a bit for added strength. Clearances are tight so options are limited.

Also trying to figure out the best place to mount the control box. I am thinking to stuff it in the engine bay, with the plug to be remotely mounted on the top of the bumper.

Something like this.

supawinchinstallwiring11.jpg

Yes the hawse fairlead will be mounted directly to the bumper. Am still working on adding more support for the winch plate. Might look at boxing it a bit for added strength. Clearances are tight so options are limited.

Also trying to figure out the best place to mount the control box. I am thinking to stuff it in the engine bay, with the plug to be remotely mounted on the top of the bumper.

Something like this.

View attachment 1302356

H,

Weld or bend a vertical plate in front of the winch that is tight to the inner shell face. 5-7mm thick will be plenty. The stock bumper works fine during winching, but without the plate and if not paying attention the hook/shackle will play havoc on the bumper without reinforcing it when sucking it up.

I'd leave my thimble/shackle loose to the stock top hook or underneath, BUT, the Factor 55 thimbles are a POPULAR THEFT item of late and you're left with a cut synthetic line and bad experience all around.

J

Last edited:
H,

Weld or bend a vertical plate in front of the winch that is tight to the inner shell face. 5-7mm thick will be plenty. The stock bumper works fine during winching, but without the plate and if not paying attention the hook/shackle will play havoc on the bumper without reinforcing it when sucking it up.

I'd leave mine hooked loose to the stock top hook or underneath, BUT, the Factor 55 thimbles are a POPULAR THEFT item of late and you're left with a cut synthetic line and bad experience all around.

J

J

Yes I was thinking about that as well.

Putting aside my poor photoshop skills (this was done on powerpoint), instead of welding two vertical plates each side of the winch, would it be better to make it one plate all the way from side to side, and then cut a hole in the middle for the rope to go through the fairlead? The plate will be supported with triangular gussets.

Very cool.

The pic you're using is an older one. We trimmed down the plate and pushed it further back into the frame rails. Using the set up above, the front bumper would have been sticking out almost a foot out from its normal position! Like an HJ61 with a factory porch (ehm, winch).

But we can still do something very similar.

We turned the winch housing 90deg rearwards so now the connectors are out of the way. We're still waiting on some more steel plating so we can fab up the extra supports for the winch plate.

We finished off the sound and heat deadening with the mistakenly ordered 1/4" Dynaliner. Might as well given the heat we spend most of our time in:steer:

Next up we fabbed a base for the center console.

The two supports line up with existing bolt holes in the floor

Last edited:
Ordered a set of 3 lap belts for the rear bench seat from Seatbelts Plus. I've used these in my other Cruisers and they're great. Especially for the child seats, you can really tighten them down.

Came with all the mounting hardware

With front seat belt options somewhat limited, and after not getting a response from a seat belt supplier that others have used from the 60 section, I was in need of a solution. A couple of months ago I was down at the junkyard and saw a rolled GRJ79 pickup. Thought why not, lets give those seat belts a shot. Yanked them out and test fitted one into a 62 that was also at the yard and it fit with a bit of wiggling. So with that in mind, yesterday I went down to the dealer and picked up a set of front seat belts for a 2016 70 series.

Profile shot

If I recall correctly, the hook at the top wouldn't fit, but with some maneuvering we should be able to make it work. Will report on that tomorrow.

With ARB lockers going in at a later stage, I'm going to try to go for the OEM switch set up. We're missing the rear white connector that goes into the back of the switch. Still trying to track that part number down, as the dealer didn't recognize the number I gave him.

(This the white connector I need on the right. Anyone have an alternative part number, or a source?)

And the most important sticker thats going on the truck.:grinpimp:

Ordered a set of 3 lap belts for the rear bench seat from Seatbelts Plus. I've used these in my other Cruisers and they're great. Especially for the child seats, you can really tighten them down.

Came with all the mounting hardware

With front seat belt options somewhat limited, and after not getting a response from a seat belt supplier that others have used from the 60 section, I was in need of a solution. A couple of months ago I was down at the junkyard and saw a rolled GRJ79 pickup. Thought why not, lets give those seat belts a shot. Yanked them out and test fitted one into a 62 that was also at the yard and it fit with a bit of wiggling. So with that in mind, yesterday I went down to the dealer and picked up a set of front seat belts for a 2016 70 series.

Profile shot

If I recall correctly, the hook at the top wouldn't fit, but with some maneuvering we should be able to make it work. Will report on that tomorrow.

With ARB lockers going in at a later stage, I'm going to try to go for the OEM switch set up. We're missing the rear white connector that goes into the back of the switch. Still trying to track that part number down, as the dealer didn't recognize the number I gave him.

(This the white connector I need on the right. Anyone have an alternative part number, or a source?)

And the most important sticker thats going on the truck.:grinpimp:

Are those front toyota belts black or dark grey? If those do indeed fit the 62 that would be awesome news. Our aging rigs need new seatbelts and the driver's belt is the only one available new from Toyota.

Just a quick search on amayama for 79 series belts does show a blue-grey belt but not sure. This is a question for the guru @beno

That's really cool, does your spec truck have the seatbelt light on the dash?

@cruisermatt I'm sure they can be connected, and if not then you can splice in the correct male/female connecter from the 60/62 into the 7* belt

But mine was definitely not working when I drove around with the old seat belt

We're in the midst of installing the new carpet so will check once done

This is so nice!

Time for a small update.

Installed @reevesci supplied carpet kit. Very happy with the quality, fit, and finish. We had to cut the transmission and transfer case opening, and trim the sides down by the door, which we ended up doing by using the old carpet as a template.

Center console base painted

Installed

Next up was we finished up the winch mounting plate

The hawse fairlead will now be bolted through the bumper and into those two protruding tabs for added support

We also added gussets, as well as extra plating on the underside where the 4 winch bolts will go through

Painted

Winch installed

Very happy with how little we had to move out the bumper. I am guessing about 5" max.

Control box on the DS inner fender, just behind the aux battery tray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom