Builds 1987 fj60 12h-t h55f conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roma, thanks for the great detail! This will help many. Very similar to 2H needs as well.

Roma, it’s been said before in these pages, but you are the mechanic that we all aspire to be. Your incredibly clear and thorough documentation is what I aspire to in my own build threads.

I can’t believe how amazing that 12HT looks.

Roma, thanks for the great detail! This will help many. Very similar to 2H needs as well.

No problem CD, that's one thing I've learned over the years is to take plenty of pictures. There is no telling how much time I've spent scouring my own old threads and others searching for that obscure part number in pictures of something I had previously ordered and need once again. This time around I'm intentionally and deliberately posting all the part numbers for my own reference and others.

Roma, it’s been said before in these pages, but you are the mechanic that we all aspire to be. Your incredibly clear and thorough documentation is what I aspire to in my own build threads.

I can’t believe how amazing that 12HT looks.

Ha ha! thanks for the kind words Galen. I'm certain yours will look just as nice and probably nicer. Every time I have one of these engines apart I learn how to do something just a bit better so it goes smoother on the next one. For instance I wish I knew about KBS engine paint when I had this block stripped to bare metal. I used brake caliper paint and several coats of clear engine enamel which looks great now but I doubt it will last near as long as that KBS paint will we are doing on yours....and my next one ;)

Put some more goodies on this morning. The factory paint on the water pumps is crap so yesterday I put a good coat of tractor enamel on, followed by a couple of coats of clear engine enamel. I didn't remove the factory paint just taped up the hardware and painted it over the factory black.

20200325_092408.jpg

20200325_094122.jpg

20200325_093157.jpg

I had the hardware plated two or three years ago and it's been stashed away since.
20200325_093508.jpg

Also installed the dipstick tube and retainer. I had the tube zinc plated and then silver powder over that. The little bracket I black powder coated.

20200325_094047.jpg

When I got my parts zinc plated a few years ago I forgot to do the two 6mm oil plugs and the intake manifold hardware so got that back today with everything for Galen's engine, my other 12ht (the 1st one that broke in Canada) and couple of split cases. Lots to sort through.

20200325_150311.jpg
20200325_150316.jpg
20200325_152633.jpg

With this little guy in place I can put the right side engine mount bracket on.
20200325_152641.jpg
20200325_152928.jpg

So much awesome in this thread. :cool:

Hey Roma, how many 12ht's have you? Like 3 o 4?

4 of my own and Galen's which I may keep if it turns out nicer than mine ;)

The two NOS ones (one of which is on the stand being put back together because it had a rusty cylinder)

The original which needs rebuilt. I stripped all the hardware off of it last week to get replated so it'll being getting torn down when I'm done with Galen's.
20200319_102741.jpg

and the one currently in the 60 that I rebuilt a few years ago. Technically the one that needs rebuilt and the other NOS one are just long blocks, so theyre either good back ups or I need to find one that's complete but blown up. So I'm always on the hunt.

Last edited:
Got the intake on this morning. Had to scrape a bunch of the factory paint off the mating surface before hand. I wonder if that's done when they are assembled at the factory? The paint was really thick and not super consistant so seemed like it could have created sealing issues.

20200326_092644.jpg
20200326_092651.jpg
20200326_092730.jpg
20200326_100903.jpg

It's impressive, the work you do. I have an HJ60 wit the late 2H that I refreshed back in '15-'16. I also added a turbo that is a home brew that is working perfectly fine. I wouldn't mind swapping a 12HT into my truck, it is bolt on for the most part. Even a 2H that I can have as a spare would be great. I would rebuild it from scratch and keep as a spare. Gotta look out for either engine really in my case. I also have to find a local plating place for all the hardware and start a relationship with the local machine shop.
Great work bud, keep it coming!

It's impressive, the work you do. I have an HJ60 wit the late 2H that I refreshed back in '15-'16. I also added a turbo that is a home brew that is working perfectly fine. I wouldn't mind swapping a 12HT into my truck, it is bolt on for the most part. Even a 2H that I can have as a spare would be great. I would rebuild it from scratch and keep as a spare. Gotta look out for either engine really in my case. I also have to find a local plating place for all the hardware and start a relationship with the local machine shop.
Great work bud, keep it coming!

There was a great deal on a late model 2h drivetrain in the classifieds a couoke of weeks ago. I believe it was on Connecticut or New Hampshire.
I'm with you though, I wish I could find one more complete one that maybe had a bad block or something.

Great, thanks for the quick input. I will check the classifieds. Maybe I get lucky. And yes, you can never have too many engines as spare!
edit: Found the add in the classifieds, let's see if it is still available. It's a late 2H in Maine. Maybe I get lucky!

Last edited:
Awesome work Roma! :beer:

I rebuilt my mini 12HT last year (13BT) :D and in retrospect, I wish I would have plated all the bolts. I did clean and replace/repaint anything that needed it, but after seeing your bolts and finish work, I wish I would have taken that extra step. Killer looking!

your 12HT’s little brother

B33A4D07-7866-4F04-8751-3232C000B621.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom