1985 FJ60 - Alabama pasture find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image0 (002).jpeg

"Charge paddles! Clear!"

A friend's spouse saw this as she was driving down the road east of B'ham. It has been sitting in this spot dead for 10 years. No carb on the 2F. Gas tank is shot (yes, the recalled one put on in 1991). Yes, it gets worse as you get closer. Yes, rust. Looks like about 250K.

But it is coming home tomorrow. There is hope. The bones are there. The carfax is respectable (six years in PA, the rest in NC, TX, and AL). The rust is not the worst I have seen. The interior is intact and actually almost "nice." It is basically stock and unmolested.

Mechanically I have no skills. None. I have love. I have a little $ to waste on it. We are going to bring this back to life before it seeps into the Alabama dirt. Shout out to @Bama4door of Over The Mountain Cruisers in B'ham, who will serve as Principal Technical Advisor. Also props to DixieLand Cruisers, who will serve as pit crew.

I am sure I will have questions, and advice is always appreciated.

Immediately:
- Fuji carb
- donor gas tank that is currently getting boiled and sealed
- Battery (Autozone Duralast Gold has always served me well)
- Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and Fluid Film on the way
- copper fuel lines on the way
- assembling tune up kit, knuckle kits, and brake stuff
- found some 1988 FJ62 stock chrome wheels that should look nice

I have read this section of the site until my eyes are bleeding. Anything else I should think about doing now let me know.

I will periodically post more pics of milestones.

Anything else I should think about doing now let me know.
Pace yourself. Burn out will probably be your biggest obstacle. Approach this project as something you want to work on and learn about, not something you want to drive anytime soon. As soon as you find yourself rushing or cursing - that’s a sign right there that you’re approaching the project the wrong way.
Generally, the faster you try to get something done by trying to take shortcuts, the longer it takes and the more swearing you’ll cuss.
If you find yourself swearing - you’re doing it wrong. The whole experience should be both fun and challenging. It’s all just how you approach it.

I would make sure the internals of the 2F would rotate before putting any $$ into this. Open intake could have allowed water intrusion into some of the cylinders. Why was it parked and left to rot?

I would make sure the internals of the 2F would rotate before putting any $$ into this. Open intake could have allowed water intrusion into some of the cylinders. Why was it parked and left to rot?
First thing we checked. For what it’s worth, there was a rag over the intake. It looked clean inside.

Don't think of turning over the engine until you pull the spark plugs and put 2 tablespoons of ATF in each one and let it soak for several days. Then, cover the plug holes with a cloth and crank it over and let the excess oil blow out before reinstalling the plugs. Even if you have to part it out, you'll want to get the engine running so you know what state it's in.

Part it out
If I decide to go that route you'll be my first call. What you want first? First we can negotiate a finder's fee then go part by part. It will be fun.

211105 (1).jpeg

Silver bookends.

211105 (3).jpeg

Home.

211105 (4).jpeg

The previous owner must have worked for some kind of fruit company or something.

211105 (5).jpeg

Buyer's remorse.

I wish I had taken a photo of a 60 I saw up here a month ago, the quarter panels and rockers were completely rusted away, it was hilarious. Still going though.

Good on you sir. Looking forward to watching your adventure.

A ways off, I know, but when you get ready for carpet, let me know. If you can get it clean enough inside to where you're looking for some motivation, the new carpet cleans it up and makes so much difference, it'll give you a second wind to do more! :hillbilly:

Thanks David. It will need new carpet eventually if it will run. There was a nest of some type in the back floorboard. I know about you, so I will contact you at the right time. Could be months, could be years, could be never (ha).

Wishing you patience and parts availability. I agree with the herpetologist (@Godwin ), make sure you triage the patient to make she she is worth saving. Whenever I buy a car, I like to baseline all the fluids. Fresh oil is cheap insurance and draining the oil (and examining the drain pan) will let you see what you are dealing with. I'm concerned about your confession about your mechanical skills. These trucks, and any truck left in a field for 10 years, will require mechanical love and attention. We will pray for you.

If you decide to part it out, I'm interested in the passenger front door and the passenger fender if it is rust free. I also may be interested in the engine as a core.

Give an old truck a chance. My truck is complete junk. Bought with 277k and currently at 336k. I saved this one and it’s been a good time.

I’d drive and wheel it anywhere with zero hesitation. Have fun and drive a sh!tty truck. I find that Rustoleum Hammered silver covers rust nicely. Ask me how I know.

Here’s some motivation.

F1FE1B2A-6275-45E6-AFCC-AC826DD9237D.jpeg

779C33A2-A97B-446E-99C5-6187A87B60E1.jpeg

29D81FF8-C17E-4573-8A17-D34249495562.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom