1985 BJ70 CND refubishing and modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the lines are rock solid where they need to be
and flexible where they should be ...

todds truck 079.jpg

todds truck 080.jpg

todds truck 082.jpg

update on Cruiser
he is still with us, we modified his pain pills. they "seem" to be helping a bit.
then again, they cause him to think that he is better than he really is.
this morning early we took him and billie over to the bush for a short stroll as the sun came up. i needed to move a bag out of the way so he could get out easy and so i could get hold of him
but
i guess he thought he was much better than he is, he decided to jump out of the Yaris and when he landed he ended up spread eagle and couldn't move, the sound he emitted was terrible. i quickly picked him up off the ground and set him on all 4s but his hips collasped and he sat back down.
i put the leash under his belly and lifted while Berni put her hands behind his head so he could pull himself up with his neck.
we walked about 50 or 100 ft and then i removed the leash and he walked okay for the rest of the walk.
he seems quite happy most of the time and get up by himself. he also loosens up after a few minutes walking but those rare occcasions just rip the heart out of me.

we will play it day by day.

anyway, we do have an electrical gremlin that is irritating the crap out of me.
we tested the signals.
we tested the running lights
we tested the head lights
but today we tested the signals and the running at the same time.
with the running off everything works like it should
with them on the running lights flash with the signals.
only the rear of the truck
the front work as they should

bloody hell.

update on Cruiser
he is still with us, we modified his pain pills. they "seem" to be helping a bit.
then again, they cause him to think that he is better than he really is.
this morning early we took him and billie over to the bush for a short stroll as the sun came up. i needed to move a bag out of the way so he could get out easy and so i could get hold of him
but
i guess he thought he was much better than he is, he decided to jump out of the Yaris and when he landed he ended up spread eagle and couldn't move, the sound he emitted was terrible. i quickly picked him up off the ground and set him on all 4s but his hips collasped and he sat back down.
i put the leash under his belly and lifted while Berni put her hands behind his head so he could pull himself up with his neck.
we walked about 50 or 100 ft and then i removed the leash and he walked okay for the rest of the walk.
he seems quite happy most of the time and get up by himself. he also loosens up after a few minutes walking but those rare occcasions just rip the heart out of me.

we will play it day by day.

anyway, we do have an electrical gremlin that is irritating the crap out of me.
we tested the signals.
we tested the running lights
we tested the head lights
but today we tested the signals and the running at the same time.
with the running off everything works like it should
with them on the running lights flash with the signals.
only the rear of the truck
the front work as they should

bloody hell.

It could be a shared ground, which has been isolated by the new paint, back feeding through the other. Cruiser electrics can be a pain sometimes. :meh:

Cody,
that was my guess too
so after hours of fawkin around trying this and that, pulling the harness in the rear, digging out the front lights hidden behind the new fuse box location ...
it was a ground in the rear, testing showed it was the front harness but it was the factory harness ground in the rear, when the body was "rebuilt" in the past i guess a wire got buggered inside the harness.
a fresh ground and eveything is normal.

relief.

almost ready to fire it up for the first time in over a year and a half ...

Cody,
that was my guess too
so after hours of fawkin around trying this and that, pulling the harness in the rear, digging out the front lights hidden behind the new fuse box location ...
it was a ground in the rear, testing showed it was the front harness but it was the factory harness ground in the rear, when the body was "rebuilt" in the past i guess a wire got buggered inside the harness.
a fresh ground and eveything is normal.

relief.

almost ready to fire it up for the first time in over a year and a half ...

Id like to say it was a good guess, but it seems like 80% of the time it has something to do with a ground, especially when you get one light activating another light as you had.

Fire that thing up!

i am thinking it has been 2 years here, 2 years at the "good old boys", 2 years at the kids and unknown in Calgary since the last time the truck ran on the road (2002??) ...
if memory serves ...

well, we tried some new medicine from the vet. it is similar to morphine, 4 days and he is back and we took him back off the morphine last friday. he is still doing "okay", seems quite happy.
it was warm all weekend which seems to make a big difference.
thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

also released the ragtop from captivity and went for a putz (Cruiser loves rides in the Cruiser) Cruiser enjoying the weekend walks:

todds truck.jpg

todds truck 087.jpg

todds truck 088.jpg

nasty wiring Cody.
seems when you put plow lights onto a Cruiser it really messes with your agenda.
we had to ground all the running lights at each corner to get the signals and the running lights to work properly.
then when we went to try the headlights we could get normal action from the vehicle lights but when we switched over to the plow lights we had only low and the power was bleeding back through the truck head lights even though they weren't on at all.
turns out the toyota lights are a positive ground and the Plow lights are the same as North american negative ground. after almost a solid week of trying this, trying that, re-examining most of the new wiring harness, old wiring harness, going on the net to find the answer, contacting the guru at the plow light number and working with him for a day trying this and that, i stumbled across the answer early one morning completely by accident.

also most of the stuff we are doing now is pretty boring, testing all the systems to make sure they work, making sure of the electrical, not much in the way of interesting things to post pics or blah blah about.

sorry. i am hoping to fire it up on Monday or tues and once that is done then we can get it off to the inspection and appraisal guys.

cheers

I don't know if this will help you with your light set up and more then likely something you already know but i thought I'd mention it just in case. I recently installing a daytime running light module to the headlights on my HDJ81 and had some very strange results. After contacting the manufacture they informed me Toyota uses a "rotating" ground system, where the ground literally moves position on the harness/plug when switching between low and high beam. They sent me their Toyota specific wiring instructions and everything works fine now

that is exactly what i found that morning.
the high beam wire becomes the ground when the low is on
the low beam wire becomes the ground when the high is activated.

the solution is to use all three wires from the factory harness into the plow head lights.

well, good news bad news
the engine fired right up.
pulled the glow plugs
disconnected the edic
cranked it over for a good minute to make sure the oil was circulated before any load was put on.
primed the system step by step, bleeding out the air.
cranked it over till mist was coming out the glow plug holes
installed glow plugs
hit the switch for 10 seconds after testing the glow relay one last time.
removed the cross over pipe from the turbo to the intake
grabbed a cap to shut down the engine if run away was to occur
hit the glow again for 10 sec and turned the engine over. fired right up.
checked for leaks
shut the engine down

oil pissing out of the rear of the block between the flex and the tranny

in the countless engines that i have installed rear seals i have never had a damaged one.
not sure what is happening, the tranny will need to be pulled.
might be an oil journal plug that was missed at the machinist.
might be a faulty rear main
might be something i never seen before
but what ever it is, there is a lot of oil on the floor.

seriously bummed.

gone for a week to clear head.

Bummer for sure, but I'm confident you can figure it out! ;)

-Daniel Kent

no, we had to get him a vehicle on the road so his BJ75 got a new head and turbo and gauges installed.
he picks it up Thursday.
Then we are back on the BJ42 for Brian.
This thread will be brought back to life once i get time to drop the tranny to take a look.

sorry guys.

cheers

Sorry to hear about your dog. Having had numerous large dogs all of which shared similar symptoms as they aged, I know how hard it can be to watch them suffer.
Hopefully the medicine can ease his pain without adverse side affects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom