1985 BJ70 CND refubishing and modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Missing a connection rod for the tranny shaft?

-Daniel Kent

Dowel pin is missing in the top for the bell housing ? and a screw (plug) is missing too on the left, just beside (a little above) the cover.

Last edited:
dowel pin, no
plug missing upper left of the cover, :clap:
do you know what that plug plugs off? :hmm:

what else is missing?

should have another plug on the right side of the block, almost the same level than the other one but right corner...
These plugs are for draining purpose?

Last edited:
correct ...
those 2 plugs are for drilling the oil passage.
threaded plugs go in the back

when you get a block hot tanked for cleaning, it is best to have these removed and then reinstalled. in the dozens of engines i have rebuilt over the years the machine shop has always reinstalled them ... till now.
i should have noticed they were missing but i didn't.
as soon as i removed the splash shield i knew what the issue was. i called the shop and he admitted that he probably forgot.
so, is it my fault? no
but
in reality, i was the one assembling the engine and i should have noticed the missing plugs. my bad and my fault.
plugs are in, 5L of oil remained in the pan so all is good.

cheers and thanks for playing along

Did the clutch get covered in oil?

correct ...
those 2 plugs are for drilling the oil passage.
threaded plugs go in the back

when you get a block hot tanked for cleaning, it is best to have these removed and then reinstalled. in the dozens of engines i have rebuilt over the years the machine shop has always reinstalled them ... till now.
i should have noticed they were missing but i didn't.
as soon as i removed the splash shield i knew what the issue was. i called the shop and he admitted that he probably forgot.
so, is it my fault? no
but
in reality, i was the one assembling the engine and i should have noticed the missing plugs. my bad and my fault.
plugs are in, 5L of oil remained in the pan so all is good.

cheers and thanks for playing along

Machine shop always gave us back the bits they pulled off and threw them in a bag or box..

ho, the tin splash shield kept the oil on the block side.
it was just a matter of remove tranny, clutch, shield, install missing metric thread plugs and reinstall.

still, embarasing and a total PITA.
Did the clutch get covered in oil?

Can someone explain the purpose behind he Airbags and where they are? Is it something others do to this Yr/Model? Or is it because of the Plow mods or just for ride quality? Do people put these of other rough rides like the 4* series? Obviously they are not SAFETY AIRBAGS

axles and airbags are mounted ...
the Ubolts are torqued to 90 lbs as per spec and then marked.
View attachment 685685View attachment 685686

the airbags were added to help the front springs support the extra weight when the blower is attached.
we could have added an extra leaf spring or two, but the ride would be very harsh when the blower was not installed.
helpful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom