Builds 1984 Root Beer in Vermont - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The coil and ignitor are different between the 62 and 80, but besides that and harness connectors, it's all the same. Do the 2fe!

Sometimes when I go to the dealer to get parts my 60 gets nervous that I might be trading it in. As was the case today when I came out and couldn’t see my 60 as it had perfectly concealed itself behind a lamp pole.

View attachment 2112698

Alderman's, White River, Heritage or 802? I used to cover those stores in my Toyota field traveler days...

The coil and ignitor are different between the 62 and 80, but besides that and harness connectors, it's all the same. Do the 2fe!

I plan to do the 2FE build as it allows me to convert to EFI and also keep the engine looking toyota. And in the more immediate time I'll be putting a prepped intake/exhaust manifold on with new gaskets so that I can keep driving the truck until winter comes and I have to hide it away from the salt.

Got some new muffler bearings today. With any luck these last another 34 years.

56E16BE2-3C2E-4FEB-BC26-DFE114BC1349.jpeg

When I do the 2fe will the 62 distributor work in the 2f or do I have to modify the stock 2f distributor.

Put a brand new OEM drivers door handle on a couple months ago and it worked great for a month or so. Then I was away for a week and when I got home the door wouldnt open easily. It has been opening but very hard pull. Tonight on the way home even that stopped working. Inner handle works fine and it doesn't seem to be an issue with the latch assembly. I suspect that actuator rod on the outer handle has gotten bent or isn't sitting properly. So I'll be pulling the door card next weekend to try and solve that annoyance.

I have my tow setup in place and I've been testing the 60's tow ability for the last week or two. I had a bunch of projects stored at a friends house and I finally moved them over to my house. Tow distance about 25 miles with some hills in between. I a using a tow dolly and figure the that I'm pulling 2000 to 3000 lbs. With that weight I am able to maintain 55mph on flat terrain and slight hills and on long hills like Killington Pass (West to East) I was able to run 45 to 50 in 3rd gear (31" tires on stock gearing and 4 speed). Engine time held steady the whole time and the only thing I'd really change would be to have trailer brakes as the cruiser brakes are not adequate for towing beyond a light trailer. I'd say the tow dolly is probably about as much as I'd want to push it.

Land Rover Series 2a chassis...a project 10+ years and counting. I repaired the frame a while go and painted it with silver POR 15 which did a good job of protecting it. I'd like to have the chassis blasted and properly sealed and painted. I'm not sure which way this project will go....I wanted to go to 62 axles with a 22RE engine and H42/transfer driveline keeping the passenger side drop setup. the 60 4 speed is a nice compact setup and I think a 22RE in a rover would be a nice reliable power plant but I may just find a good to go stock 2.25 and put it in so I can reassemble and sell the truck.

1573431563986.png

Also brought this guy home....1971 Saab 99E. I pulled the engine and trans a few years ago as they were junk and its pretty much a rolling shell at this point. It looks ugly rust wise but its actually quite solid. I have all the parts to put it back on the road and plan to cut and notch the firewall to put in a more modern Saab 900 16v engine and 5 speed...130hp ish....really the engine they should have had but 16v tech was a bit farther down the road back then.

1573431852529.png

And tonight I brought this guy home.....its a mid 90's Land Rover Discovery chassis that we cut 12" out of and welded back together. The original plan was to put a Series body on it and have a coil sprung hybrid. I'm thinking the new plan will be to build sort of a trials type machine

1573432061531.png

Something akin to this albeit on a lower budget :)

1573432189948.png

Another side project as its winter around these parts and dark by 4:30pm. My house had a small detached garage with it measuring 12x18. Very little usable space with one bay and a peaked roof that didn't really have a framed second floor. The garage was in pretty bad shape and i really wanted to rebuilding it with a second floor so I have a workshop area and some more storage. So last summer over the course of 3 days I tore it down completely by myself. It has a decent poured foundation though the floor was shot....I've been breaking the old floor out with my tractor and will pour a new one.

1574395035400.png

Haven't finalized the second floor design but I've modeled all the first floor framing for material planning purposes. The old garage had a traditional garage door but it took up headroom and it was in bad condition...so it went out with the rest of the debris from the tear down. New garage will probably just have some swing out doors. Also without a track style garage door I have just about an 8' ceiling height leaving plenty of room for the height of the FJ60....the 60 will just fit inside lengthwise.

though a nicely setup FJ40 looks like it fits pretty well....clearly a sign I need another toy,

1574395783428.png

1574395831299.png

Been pretty slow around here lately but just got an fj62 exhaust manifold set. I hope to do two things with these. The first is i’d like to use them to put together a jig for fabricating a stainless fj62 style exhaust manifold. And then until I have something made up I’ll swap from the 2f exhaust manifold to the 3f as they should flow significantly better. Combined with a Holley sniper I think that will make for a nice setup.

What did you figure out on your door handle?

I replaced the actual handle as the old one was cracked. I haven’t had a chance to pull the door card and check the actuator rod. The door always opens and I know the new handle is good but something is either bent or out of alignment as the door acts like it sticks but only from the outside. Possible the bushing popped out.

Another side project as its winter around these parts and dark by 4:30pm. My house had a small detached garage with it measuring 12x18. Very little usable space with one bay and a peaked roof that didn't really have a framed second floor. The garage was in pretty bad shape and i really wanted to rebuilding it with a second floor so I have a workshop area and some more storage. So last summer over the course of 3 days I tore it down completely by myself. It has a decent poured foundation though the floor was shot....I've been breaking the old floor out with my tractor and will pour a new one.

View attachment 2139199

Haven't finalized the second floor design but I've modeled all the first floor framing for material planning purposes. The old garage had a traditional garage door but it took up headroom and it was in bad condition...so it went out with the rest of the debris from the tear down. New garage will probably just have some swing out doors. Also without a track style garage door I have just about an 8' ceiling height leaving plenty of room for the height of the FJ60....the 60 will just fit inside lengthwise.

though a nicely setup FJ40 looks like it fits pretty well....clearly a sign I need another toy,

View attachment 2139206

View attachment 2139207

Love the sketch up FJ40 model. Shame the bezel is upside down 😃

Good luck with the garage remodel.

-Ed

What did you figure out on your door handle?

OK.... Update @OSS . So little while ago I had a simple question concerning the lock cylinder in my drivers door vs the one in my passenger. Basically the passenger door was such that the key slid into the cylinder aligned with the 12-6 position and turned one way to unluck and one way to lock but had to return to the 12-6 to come out of the cylinder. The drivers door was simply going in and coming out wherever.

So I wanted to see if some other object would turn the drivers door lock and thus further prove it was worn and needed to be replaced. I took my Saab key which is like an inverted key...looks square on the outer edges but the pattern is cut into the sides of the key....not the outer edges
Sort of like this:

1582585067139.png

Anyways I just put the end of the key into the end of the cylinder and turned it slightly so that the slot was aligned at 12-6...and it rotated. Then i tried the toyota key and now it works just like the passenger door where the key has to be at the 12-6 position to go in and come out. And as a side result the drivers door now opens easily like it should.

I should note that I did all this on a whim and had no results in mind. It was a funny moment where for once the cosmos aligned simple fumbling fixed a problem.

I'll still get some new lock cylinders as I suspect my current ones are due for a replacement. But its so nice having a drivers door that just opens again.

Just ordered a reman alternator off rock auto for $50 along with a Bosch oil filter to try for the next service, and an LED bulb to try in my overhead dome light which is currently burned out. Also got a fuel filter for $1.95. I'll look for a voltage reg to stick on my current altenator to see if thats what failed.

Some garage progress

53F23850-AC9E-486A-85F2-57F6432F0AD5.jpeg

B7E62849-3F14-4212-9D75-FB058A7BEBB6.jpeg

lower picture was taken last Sunday after I got the concrete floor chunks out that I've popped up so far. I'll remove the whole old floor eventually and redo it with new concrete, under support, and floor drain

If I put the floor back at the same height I'll have 7'11" from floor to bottom of second floor joists. I'm leaning towards a roll up style door similar to this

1584743003625.png

Price is reasonable and it doesn't compromise any overhead space or clutter half the garage with door tracks. Plus I can mount most of the storage drum up in the space between floor joists. SInce this garage will likely get taken down in the future I think this is a good option.

Last edited:
Well I have to admit that having a 34 year old vehicle that I can use daily if needed that can be repaired with wrenches and basic skills is a handy thing to have around. Especially given how bad things are going to get in the coming months. I’m not saying this is shoot your neighbor over eggs and milk bad but unemployment is likely to skyrocket and we are all in for a less than fun ride.

I’ve been pretty frugal and luckily have a house that even an unemployment check would cover. My only big bill is a kubota payment. So I’m of course hoping my job doesn’t go away but while I have it I’m boosting all my cash on hand and padding my emergency reserves. My company announced 10% layoffs today. I’m sure we will all find out soon if we will be on an extended vacation. 😖

Got this little guy off Rockauto for pretty cheap. Have to look at the slip to remember how much but I got it with a bigger order.
1585592400829.png

E221780D-CBAB-42F5-A224-32B5087B59CE.jpeg

1585592438582.png

I’ll fix the orientation when I get on my computer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom