Builds 1980 Toyota Crawler Build/Rescue

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by yotadude520, Apr 2, 2018.

1. yotadude520

yotadude520

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the advice @KLF & @pappy !

Have either of you ever used those tranny jack adapters for floor jacks? If so are they any good?

2. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper SILVER Star

I know you weren't asking me, but I haven't had luck with them. Just because my jack doesn't go high enough.

yotadude520 likes this.
  3. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

I have, because I made my own. Used it many times, but it's been several years since I've used it. I hope I'll never use it again, honestly. Maybe I should send it to you. It requires drilling and tapping 4 holes in your floor jack.

yotadude520 likes this.
  4. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I have one of these: 450 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack
    Typical Harbor Freight. Kind of clunky to use. But gets the job done. I've actually used it a lot, and it's gets loaned out to club members to use.

yotadude520 likes this.
  5. yotadude520

yotadude520

Media:
    Albums:
    That probably wouldn't be an issue! I'd be interested in grabbing it off of you! I'm sure it's made better than the one I was looking at.

That's good to know! I'll have to check it out if I don't take KLF up on his offer.

6. yotadude520

yotadude520

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey but thanks for letting me know! I'm not too sure if mine will go high enough either..I'll have to do some measuring!

7. yotadude520

yotadude520

Media:
    Albums:
    So I took the old Yota on it's first camping trip this weekend! Was a little nervous since this was the first time I'd taken it out camping. The hill to get on top of the mountain is pretty steep and I was a little scared it couldn't make it up it....but it did! The truck absolutely killed it. The ride was bumpy and slow but the ol' Yota made it with no problems - other than me topping off the oil since it's all leaking out the rear main.

Here she is all packed up ready for her first journey..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a pretty quick trip, we got up there kinda late on Friday night and left Saturday around noon so I didn't get a chance to do any real crawling but I did manage to find a couple rocks to play on...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really impressed with how the truck is running and even more surprised that there wasn't a single hiccup on it's way there. I'm starting to think my hard work may be paying off...

Pacer and H8PVMNT like this.
  8. H8PVMNT

H8PVMNT

X3 on the long extensions for the top bell housing bolts. It also helps to make one or two guide bolts to thread into the lower bolt holes on the block. Just cut the top couple inches off some 22r head bolts if you have some, they fit. This helps you align things, then when you get another bolt in you just thread them out.

I put a W56 in my '80 this weekend using the "3 guys swearing" method. This involves rolling around in the mud under the truck while onw guy bench presses the bell housing, another guy sits in back and lifts and shoves while the third guy kind of eyeballs the angle of the trans and block and shoves on the front of the trans. About 10 minutes of misery and the trans goes right on.

yotadude520 likes this.
  9. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Here it is, the bottom plate part is held to the floor jack with 4 screws, and the wooden platform part is adjustable in front-to-back angle. It works extremely well, you get the most amount of room if you drive the front of the truck up on ramps first. The chain wraps around the tranny, tightens down with that long eye bolt. Very secure.

P1010055.JPG

P1010051.JPG

CreeperSleeper likes this.
  10. yotadude520

yotadude520

Media:
    Albums:
    I think that'd be perfect! I don't have any ramps to drive my truck on and would just be doing it stationary, but I think it would be high enough to get to the tranny, and it's tried and tested! What would you want for it?

11. ntsqd

ntsqd technerd

I've done the clutch, twice, in my old '84 w/o ramps etc. OME lift springs and 33's was all the working space needed.

12. Ian Macdonald

Ian Macdonald

You're right. Sorry. Pretty trucks blow!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.