Builds 1980 Toyota Crawler Build/Rescue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool truck, thanks for the write up. I read your note from the alignment shop about the bushings. I just replaced mine on my 1980 and it made a nice difference. The old rubber ones were completely shot. Enjoy that truck!

Thank you for reading it!

What bushings did you use on your 80? I'm sure that will help it go down the road a little better for sure.

Was there a recall on the exhaust manifold? I couldn't find anything about it online.
Don't know for sure. Had to get some exhaust studs once and was told by the parts guy. So check with local dealer. Issue was the heat shield retained too much heat, causing cracking in the Y. Is your heat shield 'solid' or does it have 'vents'? vents are the replacement/upgrade/fix style. They fixed head studs, manifold and heat shield, no charge. Don't know if it's still available for service though.

There is just something magical about a crusty tan 1st gen...

I agree! I can't tell you why I love this little truck so much. I know I shouldn't!

By the way, thank you again for your advice on the 20/22R build. It will come eventually!

I got some Energy Bushings, ordered the front and rear set from Marlins Crawlers.

Love your truck--same color as my '83. Gotta ask how you were able to pass the smog inspection since (obviously) someone had done some serious de-smogging of the engine (missing smog pump)?

Also noticed that your list of suspension "needs" from the shop was almost identical to the things my shop did to my '83, but my drag link had to be rebuilt too. Don't forget the sway bar ends, as mine needed full repair kits (something you can do yourself). They put on Skyjacker shocks as my truck has a slight lift--2" at most. They seem fine. I replaced the steering stabilizer myself with a Monroe unit I bought on eBay for $32.

I got some Energy Bushings, ordered the front and rear set from Marlins Crawlers.

Thanks Meatdawg! I'll have to check them out. I'm not sure if the springs in the rear are the OEM ones or Chevys..I'll have to get in touch with Steve and double check.

Love your truck--same color as my '83. Gotta ask how you were able to pass the smog inspection since (obviously) someone had done some serious de-smogging of the engine (missing smog pump)?

Also noticed that your list of suspension "needs" from the shop was almost identical to the things my shop did to my '83, but my drag link had to be rebuilt too. Don't forget the sway bar ends, as mine needed full repair kits (something you can do yourself). They put on Skyjacker shocks as my truck has a slight lift--2" at most. They seem fine. I replaced the steering stabilizer myself with a Monroe unit I bought on eBay for $32.

Thank you! I actually ripped the smog pump off when I was doing the timing chain. Before it was dangling and wasn't connected even by a belt so it was pointless. As far as getting it registered, I'll pm you.

Yeah I was expecting them to find something wrong up there. Didn't know about the wheel bearing being loose but I never did jack up the front end so no surprise there I guess. Thanks for the advice on the sway bar, however I'm pretty sure this one's been removed.

Love your truck and story. Pretty trucks suck.

Thank you Ian! I agree 100%. I mean don't get me wrong, they're nice to look at and all, but if you want to take them on the trail you need one with a little bit of character...or custom body work I mean :hillbilly:

So I've come to the decision that I'm going to go ahead and replace the wheel bearings. I'm also thinking about rebuilding the front end entirely but not sure if I want to wait to do that until AFTER the IFS steering is installed. So many things to think about...

In the meantime though, the truck has a really bad oil leak coming from what I think is the rear main. I checked all my other gaskets (including the half moon on the back of the engine). Since I changed the oil when I did the head gasket half of it has leaked out. I'm not going to be refilling it with oil every two weeks so I sucked it up and bought everything on LCE I need...

aHndy2.jpg

Never done a rear main before, yet alone pulled a tranny so this is going to be fun. I've done my research and I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done but I'm sure it's not going to be an easy 3 beer job. We'll see though, I'm not too worried about it.

mains on these are super easy! you will see what I mean when you pull the trans!

Yeah I've been doing quite a bit of reading on it...it doesn't look too bad I just think the worst part is pulling the trans.

I am rather excited to do it though, I wanted to do a practice run before I do the clutch on my Jeep.

The hard part is not pulling the transmission. It's putting the transmission back on.

The hard part is not pulling the transmission. It's putting the transmission back on.

Any tips to make that go as smoothly as possible? Never done it before but I have a decent idea.

Would love any and all advice though!

More than just you. Use a tilting tranny jack. Lot's of patience. Don't rush. Be smart. Be safe. Improve your vocabulary.

Long extensions with wobble sockets for the bell housing bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom