Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the part number for the headlight bucket? I looked and didn't find them available when I was looking. I got chrome rings but neither part number I ordered fit my 78 buckets I refinished and had powdercoated.

Here we go:

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

I'm preserving all of the factory tagging as best as I can:

IMG_3474.jpeg
IMG_3475.jpeg

IMG_3476.jpeg

IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

IMG_3479.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

Cleaning up the carb cooling fan:

IMG_3485.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

IMG_3489.jpeg

Fan bracket installed:

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

Installing emissions equipment as I go.

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

Painted carb cooling fan with epoxy paint (same as axles I had left over). I went with gloss because under the old label it was gloss.

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3499.jpeg

After I rough in the electrical, I'm going to put the clutch/brake lines in across the firewall.

Also, if you guys see something wrong, let me know. I'm going off of a folder full of 1978 FJ40's I've collected, most of which have been tampered with over the years.

Happy 4th of July!

@V8FJ4078 regarding the part # for the headlight buckets - I purchased them from @ToyotaMatt a couple of years ago. Not sure he has another set, but mind you, only the right side worked, as they were mirrors of each other, labled "R" and "L", however FJ40's are the same on both sides. So, I had to find my best bucket out of the bunch for the driver side. You could use it, but the headlight bulb would have to be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise to fit in the slots.

Hope that helps - as I think what you did was the best course of action, to be honest.

Cheers

I'm working on sorting out all of the electrical demons and issues. I have no idea how this rig ran in the past. There are so many butcher points, cheap clamps, electrical tape by the rolls, just a mess.

I need help understanding the ignition switch.

Note on the top left of the photo "IGNITION SWITCH":

1. there is a BW (black / white) that runs over to the bottom of the fuse block, the 5A radio pin. <Was going to my starter?>
2. there is a BY (black / yellow) that runs to the 10A engine pin on the fuse block, seems mine does too.
3. There is a LR (blue / red) that runs to the starter. <this was going to the 5A pin on my fuse block>.
4. There is a WL (white / blue) that splits and runs to the ammeter, etc. which mine does as well.

So, I've untapped all of the harness and have swapped the starter and radio wires. Right? Why does the radio need such a thick "BW" (in the ST position on the ignition switch)?

How or why someone would swap wires around from the starter to the radio is beyond me. Or am I going nuts here?

IMG_3510.jpeg

Having to do major repair to the wiring harness. Trying to start with the big stuff, ignition, starter, regulator, alternator, etc.. and am finding out why there was not a proper female four-prong plug to the ignition, as you can see here (dark green plug, center screen).

All wires just individually plugged in.

IMG_3512.jpeg

While it looks like a huge mess, we all deal with this every Christmas! Some lights are for the tree, some the roof.

IMG_3516.jpeg

Once I get everything going to where I need it, I'll re-wrap the harness and tuck it nicely into the clamps.

I also found the original speaker to go with the radio - looking forward to listening to a Mets game over the static AM radio...or Paul Harvey?

IMG_3515.jpeg

My wife helped me install an original Toyota windshield I found a few years back. It should clean up nice - no chips or issues.

IMG_3509.jpeg

One step at a time!

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3517.jpeg

Last edited:
Every day I'd listen to Paul Harvey while sitting on a case tractor summer fallowing or cutting/bailing alf-alfa. Some good memories. I remember the super bowl that the Dodge commercial aired with that Paul Harvey rerun. Hit home! I wonder if I'll ever make it back to Montana - who knows. I'd sure like to.

Dallas, from past experience, you'll never figure out why wiring harnesses have been hacked by POs. I've given myself headaches trying to understand similar problems.

I'd do exactly the same as you and return everything to stock to match the wiring diagrams. You can always make updates later once everything is working the way the factory intended.

Andrew

Looking for a source for the grommets on the front fenders where the turn signal wires come through....or a part number. SOR.com is asking 20 bucks a piece for the thing. 55$ shipped for two dime sized pieces of rubber seems excessive to me. The hole appears to be 14ish mm if I remember correctly and any grommet I find at ace is either too big or too small.

Is there another grommet on the cruiser (perhaps the rear market light grommets that feed through the rear wheel well?) that could work?

Thanks!

You might also want to check McMaster.com. You can very likely find something that would fit exactly, though it wont have a TEQ stamp on it.

I'm surprised you didn't leave green primer visible on the hard top rails 😁

Thanks! I'm looking for the inner fender grommet where the wires from the turn signals pass into the engine bay. @pigmony 's suggestion to use McMaster-Carr worked, as they had what I was looking for. Thank you!
The hood prop grommet works. Let me look for the part number, I just replaced all my wire thru the fender grommets. I think @mattressking and @cruiseroutfit told me about this in another thread (below) so I bought 14 of these which is the same for the windshield, back tail light thru body grommets too! Mr.T still sells them approx. $2.50 each

Toyota 90480-15002​

Grommet

Unobtainium - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/unobtainium.822577/page-157#post-14893088
(see post 3128-3134+)

edited for part num

Last edited:
Grommets came in from McMaster, here are the two items I'm trying:

IMG_3570.jpeg

I purchased the first item, 2633N23, to fit the front fenders where the turn signal wires pass through. (I chose items that you cut the center on - so for me, I just used an exacto knife and cut an "X" in the center, pushed the wires through and installed).

They fit snug - but perfectly. Very happy with these.

IMG_3571.jpeg

Next where the 3/4" for the rear of the tub. They are a little loose, side to side about 1/8" but otherwise, a good fit. Consequently, due to the tip from above, cutting the center out, they also fit perfectly into the hood prop hole:

IMG_3572.jpeg

Incredible how dusty it is and you can see how I need to clean up polishing compound that has flung around.

IMG_3573.jpeg

Also took a break this last weekend to enjoy some "Glamping" and enjoy a fire next to the Hudson river in upstate New York. Beautiful area.

I also visited the "Hoffman House" a late 1600's home that is now a restaurant. Some really cool history there.

IMG_3557.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3569.jpeg

IMG_3563.jpeg

IMG_3564.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom