Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outdoors in the driveway, yes. However not just any ol day. Lower humidity, temps in range with my reducer and mid day when light is optimal and bugs are low. I spray water all over the ground and surrounding areas. Then, wet sand with 1000, 1200 and then buff with a cutting compound and then polish at the end.

This seems to work well, given the circumstances. A full resto (while one of the worst decisions I’ve made) in a one car garage is possible.

Wrapping up the bib today.

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

Using original "like new" KOITO lamps.

IMG_3403.jpeg

IMG_3404.jpeg

Bezel install! Peace bro!

IMG_3405.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3408.jpeg

Installing onto the truck:

IMG_3410.jpeg

IMG_3411.jpeg

IMG_3413.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3419.jpeg

Fitting the bumper while I'm here:

IMG_3424.jpeg

I searched and searched for a "78 themed" original New York plate....as New York let's you use plates that are the vintage of the vehicle (as I've done on my 964).

As luck would have it, I found a matching set of 78-NAN (sounds like 1978 North American). While I think the color clashes with the truck...they are vintage 1978 plates. Hmmmm. Or, I can just use the modern "HISTORICAL" plates. Let me know what you think.

IMG_3429.jpeg

78 Not A Number! 👍

Just thinking out loud here on a game plan to install the wiring harness. I have a new fuse block, etc.. and firewall grommets. I would assume similar to extraction, starting with the fuse block and working my way out would be best. The obvious issues are going to be fitting the firewall grommets and then repairing/retaping any areas that were hacked. I figured I could replace any plugs when I install that item and order as needed.

I guess it is good that I mechanically sorted this out prior to disassembly, there shouldn't be any major issues. Knock on wood. While I work on tolerating the remaining body work and paint, I wanted to start on the electrical followed by hydraulic and then finally fuel systems.

Let me know your thoughts on a plan of attack with the wiring harness.

Thank you!

Get it all roughed in place. There are a few tight spots under the dash that require working it to get it to fit. Make sure the connectors reach everything before you start connecting anything and using the locking tabs on the firewall. Just be methodical and you won't have to redo anything.

I lay the entire front harness down on the ground along drivers side of the truck. I start by feeding the left headlight socket in through firewall hole out to headlight. Then start routing the fuse block, cluster, column wiring and moving towards the passenger side headlight socket. Since your doing a factory reset, I assume you are not going with the grommets that have the slit allowing for easy install over harness at firewall.

Correct @Ackcruisers - but I would hope any concourse judge wouldn't deduct points for a slit in the firewall grommet. I think the grommets I have are solid, however. What to do....what to do.

I assume what you're saying is to lay it down on the ground by the driver side of the truck, feed the left headlight through, which has all of the left side stuff on it (carb cooling fan, etc..) and then install the block and feed to the right side from there?

Thank you for the advice!

That would be punitive for the judges to deduct for a grommet!

Yes, you got it, but I would not install the fuse block until everything is situated. Given how precise you have been with your build, I would anticipate moving it around to align everything. Not having the block connected to the fuse connectors will aid in dialing in the harness.

First time around painting the fender skirts, I had two major issues in the paint that wasn't easily corrected. So, I had to start over. I repainted them yesterday with base/clear again and they turned out perfect.

Wet sanding with 1000 and then polishing with high cut compound and then another buff with a polish.

Wet sand:

IMG_3442.jpeg

After buffing and polishing:

IMG_3446.jpeg

Install swag:

IMG_3447.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

These don't fit out of the box:

IMG_3449.jpeg

Cut to fit (not on the gwagon fender :):

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3452.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

Every FJ40 comes with a kitchen.....this emblem is for the FOOD side. Not the WASTE side. Don't make that mistake.

IMG_3454.jpeg

What's the part number for the headlight bucket? I looked and didn't find them available when I was looking. I got chrome rings but neither part number I ordered fit my 78 buckets I refinished and had powdercoated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom