Builds 1977 FJ55 west TN build: family wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the road. Made it through Dallas and on to Little Rock.

1AB0FE42-1E58-4789-8710-D6A856EB0769.jpeg

617574F0-4614-4C50-80DD-C9CFA84FC9E3.jpeg

Back from the Oregon coast. It was beautiful. I only saw a real nice 40 driving into Cannon Beach. It was in driveway of the first house as you enter town.

As far as an update, there's been no progress on the 55 since I got my dad's old 40. I spent several days getting it running and now it runs great and is very stable. I did sell my yellow 40. Since I sold it for more than I had in it, we decided to take the money and invest in another 40 that I felt was a good deal, but needs some significant body work. I'm planning on having all that body work done by a local guy that owns his own shop. In the course of shopping for body parts for the investment 40, I discovered a parts 40 that the whole truck with a lot of cool parts was about twice what the hood, fenders, bib, and running boards were together. So, now I own 3 40s. I think this is how junk yards start. After about an hour of work, I got the parts truck started and discovered that the 2f sounded really strong. I did a compression check and sure enough, it has great compression and the 2f in my dad's 40 isn't nearly as good. So, tomorrow, I'm planning to pull the 2f out of the parts truck, clean it, put in a new clutch, and swap it into my dad's old 40. Then it's time to finish pulling the body parts I need and take the investment 40 to the body shop and sell the parts truck with a lot of cool parts still on it. After the investment 40 is off at the body shop, then I'll start working on the 55 again. I'm hoping to discover that this body shop does really good work and when we finish the investment 40 and get it sold, I can take the 55 to them to do the rear quarters.

I wish I could post 55 progress. I'm really looking forward to the day when the 55 progress gets going strong and I only own it and my dad's old 40. I guess I need to name these trucks so I don't keep referring to them as the 55 and dad's old 40.

Cheers,
Mike

Back from the Oregon coast. It was beautiful. I only saw a real nice 40 driving into Cannon Beach. It was in driveway of the first house as you enter town.

As far as an update, there's been no progress on the 55 since I got my dad's old 40. I spent several days getting it running and now it runs great and is very stable. I did sell my yellow 40. Since I sold it for more than I had in it, we decided to take the money and invest in another 40 that I felt was a good deal, but needs some significant body work. I'm planning on having all that body work done by a local guy that owns his own shop. In the course of shopping for body parts for the investment 40, I discovered a parts 40 that the whole truck with a lot of cool parts was about twice what the hood, fenders, bib, and running boards were together. So, now I own 3 40s. I think this is how junk yards start. After about an hour of work, I got the parts truck started and discovered that the 2f sounded really strong. I did a compression check and sure enough, it has great compression and the 2f in my dad's 40 isn't nearly as good. So, tomorrow, I'm planning to pull the 2f out of the parts truck, clean it, put in a new clutch, and swap it into my dad's old 40. Then it's time to finish pulling the body parts I need and take the investment 40 to the body shop and sell the parts truck with a lot of cool parts still on it. After the investment 40 is off at the body shop, then I'll start working on the 55 again. I'm hoping to discover that this body shop does really good work and when we finish the investment 40 and get it sold, I can take the 55 to them to do the rear quarters.

I wish I could post 55 progress. I'm really looking forward to the day when the 55 progress gets going strong and I only own it and my dad's old 40. I guess I need to name these trucks so I don't keep referring to them as the 55 and dad's old 40.

Cheers,
Mike

What year(s) are these 40's?

Yeah, it's a really nice truck. I was actually shocked when I drove it the first time. Compared to the '76, it's like riding in a Cadillac. It's got 3.70 gearing and a strong 2f. It cruises really nicely at 65-70 and higher. The body, though, .... It needs rear quarters, wheel wells, rear sill, rockers, passenger floor pan, windshield frame, bib, hood, and running boards.

Yeah, it's a really nice truck. I was actually shocked when I drove it the first time. Compared to the '76, it's like riding in a Cadillac. It's got 3.70 gearing and a strong 2f. It cruises really nicely at 65-70 and higher. The body, though, .... It needs rear quarters, wheel wells, rear sill, rockers, passenger floor pan, windshield frame, bib, hood, and running boards.
Yes. I think the feeling is that the steel got worse...
I don’t think there were many’82s, so if you do it right, you should be able to get some coin...

One down. Another to go???

I need advice. My son says don’t swap the engines. It’ll be a pain, but the clutch is worn and here are the compression numbers. The clutch would need replacing in a year if it was a daily driver, but I’ll only drive maybe 1/2 the time. What do you all think? I’ve got a new aisan clutch ready to go, the cherry picker, and the donor engine.

Dads 85, 85, 90, 85, 90, 85
Parts 137, 135, 130, 135, 120, 132

7E747B0E-1C91-4CA0-BE85-9CE992689BA2.jpeg

71520B8D-23DB-495F-84BB-B2CD25B79B44.jpeg

170ABD72-BA5C-4963-A71C-CFF38B767CB4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom