Builds 1971 FJ55, "Bucky" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everybody loves pics so here you go:
IMG_3967[1].JPG

IMG_3951[1].JPG

IMG_3961[1].JPG

IMG_3950[1].JPG

Well, I won the WCW wrastlin’ title today. My opponent:
0F649A2D-4E9E-4D8D-8B9F-DE8A4EB64553.jpeg

Me:
1613356207360.gif

Looks like dropped a xfer case
What did you do?
Yeah. Wrestled the old leaky and dying 3 speed transfer case out from under Bucky. Freshened up 4 speed case going back in. We do it old school in Dave’s cruiser hospital. No fancy lifts around here.

Yeah. Wrestled the old leaky and dying 3 speed transfer case out from under Bucky. Freshened up 4 speed case going back in. We do it old school in Dave’s cruiser hospital. No fancy lifts around here.

Yeah well good upgrade.

That said, you need a lift.

Got the 4speed case bolted up, but not without a smidge of drama. I was missing a spacer between the transmission and transfer case. Mr. T calls the piece an Input Gear Stopper. Work finished and back on the road, we decided to take Ol’ Bucky out for a day of hiking and RC rock crawling.
7085E8BA-C9F4-478D-BCDC-996951F02F2E.jpeg

7F3FEC82-67F8-4C6E-9614-AE80829ECF07.jpeg

4524080B-31A2-4B9B-ADD7-73F19E8D7003.jpeg

643888E8-B32F-4158-B589-E71E02A988C3.jpeg

DE586A84-358B-496D-B813-FE24CF036F0A.jpeg

We are all just caught in the gravitational pull of this rusty old truck. I drive my other trucks too, but Bucky trips are the best trips!

I bought an old full-length roof rack from @Swampfox58 last weekend. Not sure the brand. It looks like either a Safari rack or maybe an old Garvin Adventure rack. Once I got it home, removed the legs and sat it on a level floor, the flaws became more obvious. The rack has been smacked pretty hard in the back and someone did a less than stellar job of repairing it. It was bowed, crooked and had several sections of smashed tubing. Lots of booger welded repairs too. I could have just installed it as-is and let the wear and tear tell its story, but I am a roof top tent camper and having a flat rack allows me to be able to mount a tent. After much deliberation I have decided to cut the top rails off of the rack and use the straightest pieces to repair the bottom, turning it into a flat rack. It's a work in progress at the moment.

Original rack on PO truck:
rr on truck.jpg

Rack off truck:
IMG_4255[1].JPG

Bad sections:
rr4.jpg

IMG_4259[1].JPG

Here's the direction I am headed with it:

IMG_4258[1].JPG

Sweet! Gonna be doing something similar. Like the flat rack concept - minimalistic and less weight, but there to tie something down and hold it if needed. Also great for distracting eyes from roof flaws!
I hope I'm doing the right thing. These old full length racks are rare as hen's teeth around here, and they look good even when they are beat up (kind-of like pigs do). The functionality of the flat rack concept, weight savings, and the benefit of having some leftover sections of tubing to make repairs and square everything up made my decision for me.

Going back and forth myself on modifying an old school full-length Confer rack in very good condition by at least making the rear portion a flat rack to accommodate our rooftop tent. Even have original Confer mounts. Seems a shame to cut it but with the prices of new flat racks???? Thinking of making the rear portion a flat rack and using removed side rails to complete an enclosed half rack up front.

Going back and forth myself on modifying an old school full-length Confer rack in very good condition by at least making the rear portion a flat rack to accommodate our rooftop tent. Even have original Confer mounts. Seems a shame to cut it but with the prices of new flat racks???? Thinking of making the rear portion a flat rack and using removed side rails to complete an enclosed half rack up front.
I know exactly how you feel. Cutting up a vintage con-ferr rack would be a tough decision to make. Mine was cool, but not con-ferr cool! Either way, I think your plan will work perfectly.

Maybe someone would want the Con-Ferr bad enough they could build you want you want and trade. Personally, I'd just make it how you want, there are a ton of racks left in the country not to feel bad about it.
I suspect there’ll be some rack surgery in the near future. Wouldn’t be hard to sell it but shipping it would be an expensive adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom