Builds 1968 FJ40 Wheeler Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdc1

SILVER Star
Threads
My Dad and I are currently neck deep in a frame off, nut and bolt resto mod of a 1972 FJ40 that we rescued off of a hillside in WV.

Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off

It is currently at the painters and I have had a chance to think about the next project plan for a few minutes.

In October of 2015, after replacing the parking brake backing plate bolts with OEM replacements, we decided that the '72 was going to be to nice to wheel properly.

Upon the possibility of a move @reevesci mentioned selling his 40 build;

'68 build-- aka -- TANK

I casually mentioned this to my dad and before we could come to our senses, he was on his way to WY with the trailer.

20151007_161652.jpg

@reevesci had completed 2F/H42/split case, power steering and front disc conversions from a late FJ60. Also, he installed 36x17 Super Swampers on 80 rims, large diameter spring/shackle hangers and a 4" rough country lift.

As it sits now:

20160317_103452.jpg

Plan of attack (probably this coming fall) is to use as many of the parts that we have on hand to make a capable wheeler that is streetable:

>SOA on full width 60 axles front and rear

>FJ60 stock height rear springs
>Flipped and outboarded 40 stock springs in front
>Detroit locker in rear
>4.11 gears
>Trollhole FST
>Family cage tied into frame
>Trail Tailor rear tire carrier and cooler basket
>Trail Taylor front winch bumper
>Tube front fenders, sliders and half doors

Being in OH, we are not experienced offroaders. I equate this to buying my first small tractor in that ill build what i think we need now but will need to tweek as we get some seat time.

Our goal is to attend some of the Landcruiser events in Moab, PA and the South. We have a Miller 211 welder, air tools and Mud to help.

I have enjoyed reading through all the Hardcore build threads and thanks in advance for the answers and opinions.

Please feel free to let your opinions fly as that is why this build will be in Hardcore.

Last edited:
never replace your parking brake backer plate bolts with oem replacements. never let a hot rod shop touch your 40. never call the cops under any circumstance handle it yourself, and never forget family comes first. I am just full of wisdom and hard lessons so lets build this truck. btw going to Wyoming to pick up Tank was a fun adventure even if I had to explain it to the wife while I was already in Indiana. She had some wisdom to share but I did not turn around.

What do u mean by 60,axles? Fj60 or Dana 60? I would not put liner on the outside. Paint is easy to fix and will look much cleaner. Bedliner exteriors are for Jeep Cherokees. Plus a fj40 body uses spot weld construction. Applying bedliner seals the spot welds. If there is any rust between spot welds and u seal it up with bedliner, the rust will advance rapidly underneath the liner and you'll have to grind it off to do repairs.

What do u mean by 60,axles? Fj60 or Dana 60? I would not put liner on the outside. Paint is easy to fix and will look much cleaner. Bedliner exteriors are for Jeep Cherokees. Plus a fj40 body uses spot weld construction. Applying bedliner seals the spot welds. If there is any rust between spot welds and u seal it up with bedliner, the rust will advance rapidly underneath the liner and you'll have to grind it off to do repairs.

FJ60 axles.

FJ60 axles.
Oh OK. I like your planned suspension setup. Personally I like the axles wider. Then just compensate with rim offset. 60-65" wms is what I like personally. Wider than that and it starts to look goofy unless u have giant tires. Fj60 width is so so in my opinion and too much work for only 1.5" more width on each side. I'm at 61" up front and 63" in the back. It's really comfortable on the sidehills. But the tires do stick out from the body, and that might not be the look u want.

Oh OK. I like your planned suspension setup. Personally I like the axles wider. Then just compensate with rim offset. 60-65" wms is what I like personally. Wider than that and it starts to look goofy unless u have giant tires. Fj60 width is so so in my opinion and too much work for only 1.5" more width on each side. I'm at 61" up front and 63" in the back. It's really comfortable on the sidehills. But the tires do stick out from the body, and that might not be the look u want.

Are there any noticeable downsides to having the narrower axle up front?

There are 40 axles installed now with a 60 disc conversion and spacers. Did you have to outboard your springs for the FJ60 rear?

Are there any noticeable downsides to having the narrower axle up front?

There are 40 axles installed now with a 60 disc conversion and spacers. Did you have to outboard your springs for the FJ60 rear?
I have not noticed any downside with the wider rear axle. Except the pinion is not as offset as a 40 rear pinion. I had some trouble with driveshaft vibration and thought I would have to run a rear CV shaft. But I got the pinion angles dialed in almost perfectly and I only get a mild vibration at times now. I have a fj80 rear axle which is the 63 and a widened fj60 front axle with 4plus products housing spacer which makes it 61.5". I could have and should have stacked spacers on the front to make the front 64". But it's fine I guess. It has the look I like and it works fine.
If u put a fj60 axle in the back u don't have to outboard the rear springs.
BTW I don't think trail trailer is making bumpers anymore. Not sure why. They were sweet.

JDC, the 60 frt axle can be further widened by installing IFS hubs & rotors, than adding bolt on spacers to rear axle. Or just get wheels with deeper offset. You have the power to make the track width whatever you want.

IMHO, the 4.11 gears are too tall to get rolling with 35" tires. The crawl speed will be way too high. Consider going to a 4.88 gear, or a 4:1 t-case, or a SM420 tranny or...

I have not noticed any downside with the wider rear axle. Except the pinion is not as offset as a 40 rear pinion. I had some trouble with driveshaft vibration and thought I would have to run a rear CV shaft. But I got the pinion angles dialed in almost perfectly and I only get a mild vibration at times now. I have a fj80 rear axle which is the 63 and a widened fj60 front axle with 4plus products housing spacer which makes it 61.5". I could have and should have stacked spacers on the front to make the front 64". But it's fine I guess. It has the look I like and it works fine.
If u put a fj60 axle in the back u don't have to outboard the rear springs.
BTW I don't think trail trailer is making bumpers anymore. Not sure why. They were sweet.

Thanks. Trail Taylor(reevesci) is who we bought the 40 from. He included a front and rear bumper set.

We got the front and rear bumpers as part of the package. They are sweet and we are glad to have them. Might have to agree with you on the bedliner, it was my idea and Jesse was not sure but was feeling guilty cause he got to make all the decisions on the 72. We already have the 60 rear axle with the Detroit locker, and ebrake setup I got from a parts excursion to Baton Rouge. We plan on staying with the 35 tires and 80 rims. Can you please be more specific as to why we don't have to outboard the springs if we go 60 axles? personally I do not like the look of the tires sticking way out but I am also not real fond of too much flare

jdc and I are both live, yeah what he says. Jim how was Florida?

IMHO, the 4.11 gears are too tall to get rolling with 35" tires. The crawl speed will be way too high. Consider going to a 4.88 gear, or a 4:1 t-case, or a SM420 tranny or...

Do you have any of these for sale or trade? You need to come up and visit for a perusal of our extras. and the weather has been kind

Do you have any of these for sale or trade? You need to come up and visit for a perusal of our extras. and the weather has been kind
What I do have is an H41 tranny, which drops 1st gear from 3.5 to 4.9, but doesn't add the extra length of the H55.

And yes, I'm still looking for some extras from your scraps.

Sorry Jim, I will try not to digress, It has the H42 already swapped in

Sorry Jim, I will try not to digress, It has the H42 already swapped in

H41 is lower first gear than H42

@FJ40Jim whats it take to adapt an H41 to later split case(we have an early one too)? I'm heading south towards CBUS soon. I can snap some pics of the storage areas and if anything catches your eye I can save you a trip. I do have a hatch/header put aside for you.

With all the fab work already done for the H42 would the 4.88 gear be a good option? Jason spent a lot of time getting everything lined up and I hate going backwards or down the rabbit hole

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom