Builds 1964 FJ45LV Restoration underway (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good evening, so I'm a couple whiskey's deep while rereading posts to confirm I have absorbed all of the great advice. I must of been 5 whiskeys deep prior because I should have asked more questions. I need to come back to the braking upgrades many of you recommended. I am going to ask a stupid question. How did you approach it? Is there a kit that you used? I did change our my rims so I can accommodate disk brakes, but that is as far as I got. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that I can read? No worries and thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Another question. I notice a few of you appear to have the fj55 or similar mirrors on your doors. Assuming that is a functionality/safety improvement you made. It appears my rig originally had the mirror with post on the driver side fender. Question, would you restore with the fender mount mirror or install the fj55 mirrors? I am leaning towards the fj55 mirror approach, but I could be pushed in any direction. No hurries, no worries.

If I could find those fender mirrors I’d put them on my LV.
Thanks for that! I noticed you replied to the question regarding gaskets that SOR had those. Assuming you meant the hood gaskets. If there are other gaskets that SOR has, IE the license plat e light/hatch gasket, would you be willing to share the link? I can't find that for the life of me. Thank you in advance.

Any help with heater would be appreciated. I am working on the heater for the beast. After finally taking a few minutes to review it appears this is not a Toyota product. I can't seem to find anything that looks like it on the internet or any branding on the heater. Anyone out there seen this before? If not, anyone know where I can find hoses with a 3" end necked down to a 1.5 inch end to connect to the defrost system? No worries, just throwing it out there.

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

Any help with heater would be appreciated. I am working on the heater for the beast. After finally taking a few minutes to review it appears this is not a Toyota product. I can't seem to find anything that looks like it on the internet or any branding on the heater. Anyone out there seen this before? If not, anyone know where I can find hoses with a 3" end necked down to a 1.5 inch end to connect to the defrost system? No worries, just throwing it out there.

I found the 3” hose from Pegasus racing supplies, worked perfect. Then I found the other hose I needed from McMaster Carr. Should be good to go. Putting her back in!

View attachment 2190177

View attachment 2190178

View attachment 2190179

Silicone Turbo pipe have reducers from 3 inch down have a search on eBay.com.au
Edit
If 3 down to 1 1/2 is not available you may have to step down with two pieces.

Good evening, so I'm a couple whiskey's deep while rereading posts to confirm I have absorbed all of the great advice. I must of been 5 whiskeys deep prior because I should have asked more questions. I need to come back to the braking upgrades many of you recommended. I am going to ask a stupid question. How did you approach it? Is there a kit that you used? I did change our my rims so I can accommodate disk brakes, but that is as far as I got. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that I can read? No worries and thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.
on my LV I swapped out the entire firewall for a number of reasons, one of which was to be able to run a brake booster from a later model truck. ther are kits that you can get to run a mini truck booster but in the end you will need to re route much of your brake lines. if you can find a later model parts truck i would just rob a lot of the lines. Cruiser Outfitters could probably give you a run down of what you need and supply you with almost everything you need especially the knowledge..

on my LV I swapped out the entire firewall for a number of reasons, one of which was to be able to run a brake booster from a later model truck. ther are kits that you can get to run a mini truck booster but in the end you will need to re route much of your brake lines. if you can find a later model parts truck i would just rob a lot of the lines. Cruiser Outfitters could probably give you a run down of what you need and supply you with almost everything you need especially the knowledge..
Thank you for this. I will give them a call. I can hear them already,...."you again" :)

looks great, what color is the outside going to be? one color?
thank you and yes. I am going with one color. It's really close to the '71 Grey from Toyota. They called it a grey but it is more of a blue grey, depending on light. I over invested my time and research trying to get it right, and still feel like I have 80/20 odds at best. But we're too far down the trail to turn back, we are laying paint next week. I know 71 isn't period specific, I just couldn't get those colors to look the way I want with the clear coat. I really do like the lacquer finish, but figured it was smarter to use the clear coat. I do plan to drive this thing, so wanted something that could wear.

The bed liner was definitely the right way to go. It looks great and wears very well. Keep up the good work!

What heater is that? I have not seen that kind before.
Great question. I am ashamed to admit that it is from a 59 ford. They retro fitted it prior to my purchase of the beast. Took me a little work to figure it out. I kept it in for now as that is how i bought it and remember it, but maybe sometime I will switch over the the vintage air system.

Looks great. Why are you not going with the classic two tone look?
Yeah, good question. When I bought the beast it was one color, and that is how I remember it. I am trying to walk the fine line of keeping it is classic as possible but modernizing certain aspects of "the look". Plus my wife really likes one body color with the lily white roof, so there's that. See beginning of thread on how we bought this thing together and why her vote counts for two of mine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom