Builds 1964 FJ45LV Restoration underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 45lv community. I am in the process of bringing this beauty back to life. The story behind how I found it and why the undertaking:
The fast version is I found this in CO back in 2001 using the internet, when I was young and dumb and in love (with the LV and a girl), so I thought it would be great for my girlfriend and I to fly out to Colorado, pick this beauty up in Longmont, and drive it back to WI. We did this in August during a record setting heatwave, with small tires and the asphalt baked heat blowing up to our nether regions. The trip wasn't near as romantic as I envisioned. In fairness, the girl was game for the first 48 hours, but after that she lost steam and didn't speak to me for the last 48 hours. The LV was game for the whole trip, and actually made subsequent round trips to Idaho a couple times. After that, life ran away from me and it was no longer practical to use the LV as an everyday driver and the plan to restore it in my free time became a fantasy. The good news is the girlfriend returned to speaking to me, and has been my wife for over 16 years. We've decided 2019 is the year to bring the cruiser back to its original glory and take the kids on adventures with it. We're going to try our best to keep it original, but failing fast, so we'll see how this all shakes out.
I'm reaching out to the community as I know less than zero about restoration, and am just smart enough to know I need all the help I can get. My hope is that as questions pop up, I can serve them and see if something shakes out. Thanks for joining me on the adventure.

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

Welcome! Thats a beautiful cruiser and great story. Best part is you used it well it sounds like. Im glad both the girls have stuck around with you :)

Parts are tough but the community is great for learning and sharing. I still somewhat maintain hopes to be in that quest one day.

What are your plans for style of restoration?

True stock?
Restomod?
Shiny show truck?
Patinad safe diver with modern touches?

Looking forward to the build!

Welcome! Thats a beautiful cruiser and great story. Best part is you used it well it sounds like. Im glad both the girls have stuck around with you :)

Parts are tough but the community is great for learning and sharing. I still somewhat maintain hopes to be in that quest one day.

What are your plans for style of restoration?

True stock?
Restomod?
Shiny show truck?
Patinad safe diver with modern touches?
Thank you and great question. Current plan is to create a painted safe driver with some modern touches. Some day true stock, but that is probably a fantasy.

Sweet, look forward in seeing your progress. So at least you have driven it for while and that is a big plus. The only advise I can give is build it so when you drive it, it's comfortable and a joy to drive.

Thank you for that and great advice. My current thought for increasing comfort is sound proofing the best I can, and a complete restoration of the interior, seats headliner etc. We’ve upgraded the engine, but kept the three on the tree (so far). What am I missing?

so I dig the three on the tree but you may want to consider a 5spd for drivability...

also, I would take a serious look at upgrading the brake system to a dual circuit and disc brakes.

Great advice and I will add to the list. I know you are right on the 5 speed. I promised the kids they all get a spin with the 3 tree just so they could say they did. I know that's a pretty dumb reason, but I'm in too deep now to go back on my word. I would imagine 3 times around the block and we'll all be begging for a 5 speed. I will dig into the brake system and put that on the plan. Thank you!

FYI, Cruiser outfitters is selling brand new H55's with brand new t-cases... you know for down the road...

I would also pick up an extra dog house so you don't cut up a nice blank one since you still have the column shifting.

I know crustycruiser is looking for 3 speed stuff you should get. In touch if your looking to sell any of it . I personally like my 3 speed keeping it vintage is fun for me

cool, thanks for the tip. I am an old farmer, so I have "I might need that someday" mentality. Which means I hold on to more stuff longer than I should. But if I ever make the switch, and decide to sell some stuff i'll definitely keep crustycruiser in mind. Thank you

Just started driving mine on real roads at real speeds, I strongly second the front disc and dual master upgrade. It is so nice to have a good hard pedal and no unexpected dives right or left when you hit the brakes. I would also consider three point seat belts. When you are driving that rig, realize there is a metal spear fixed to the frame pointed right at your chest. I also did head rests, but they seem a bit controversial with the purists? But safety is paramount if you are going to have the family along.

Subscribed! I’m a new LV owner as well just getting into it, fortunate in that it’s reasonably complete but as all LV owners know if you’re missing a unique LV part you better have a good fabricator! Looks like you’ve got a great starting point though. I have a 4 speed in mine and top speed is probably 55mph at best. Phoenix is full of freeways and even the surface streets are 45mph. Since my tranny already isn’t original I’m sure an H55F is in my future (I’ve had a couple 43s with it installed and it was great). It’s not a cheap upgrade though, so I can understand putting that on the back burner too...

what did you do for an “upgrade” on the engine?

I totally agree on updating your brake system. Safety comes first as they say. 5 speed upgrade is a very nice upgrade. It's pricey but well worth it in my opinion. 1st gear is really low. But 5th gear is noticeably nice at highway speeds. On a 3 speed tranny just know that 3rd gear and 4th are the same gear ratio. Taller tires help with the RPMs if you keep the 3 speed tranny. Air con and PS is something you appreciate as you get older, don't ask how I know. :) And lastly I would consider looking into using LEDs where you can. They put a lot less of load on your battery. Anyhow, I'm in the same boat. I'm currently looking for axles on an LV I've had for while. Good luck.

I totally agree on updating your brake system. Safety comes first as they say. 5 speed upgrade is a very nice upgrade. It's pricey but well worth it in my opinion. 1st gear is really low. But 5th gear is noticeably nice at highway speeds. On a 3 speed tranny just know that 3rd gear and 4th are the same gear ratio. Taller tires help with the RPMs if you keep the 3 speed tranny. Air con and PS is something you appreciate as you get older, don't ask how I know. :) And lastly I would consider looking into using LEDs where you can. They put a lot less of load on your battery. Anyhow, I'm in the same boat. I'm currently looking for axles on an LV I've had for while. Good luck.
Thanks for this, excellent advice and I will definately implement when and where I can. I agree on the air conditioning. What's the best way to do that? Using an existing kit, or is there a better custom install guys have done? Where did you get your led's? I have been looking but haven't found any yet. rumor has it that ARB will have some that will be DOT approved coming this fall, but other than that I haven't found some that would fit. Thank you in advance.

Question for community: Does anyone know if the 1958-79 fj40 battery support bracket/tray would also work in the 45? Mine is need of a new one so I am on the hunt.

Yes ,your LV takes (EDIT: most of the same parts, with small differences here and there) that a 1963 to 1973 FJ40/45 would. The tray did change a little, can't remember what year that happened. Some other parts are the same up to 79. Your only big difference is the body.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom