Builds 1964 FJ45LV Restoration underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you’re looking for the LED headlights city racer has them. Personally i don’t drive my LV much at night so haven’t made the upgrade but I had them in my 84 43 and they were pretty nice

If you’re looking for the LED headlights city racer has them. Personally i don’t drive my LV much at night so haven’t made the upgrade but I had them in my 84 43 and they were pretty nice

Awesome tip, thank you!

It looks like a solid LV for a resto. I'd make that dual circuit brake upgrade a priority. The last thing you want is to restore it just to lose the entire vehicle to brake failure and possibly get injured as well. I found this out the hard way.

It looks like a solid LV for a resto. I'd make that dual circuit brake upgrade a priority. The last thing you want is to restore it just to lose the entire vehicle to brake failure and possibly get injured as well. I found this out the hard way. View attachment 1925654
That is absolutely heartbreaking. Assuming you are ok? Your advice is dually noted and has been added to the scope

It looks like a solid LV for a resto. I'd make that dual circuit brake upgrade a priority. The last thing you want is to restore it just to lose the entire vehicle to brake failure and possibly get injured as well. I found this out the hard way. View attachment 1925654
I Remember this, heartbreaking! over the past few years, I have seen a couple of others have similar experiences.

Update for the community:
The engine took a bad turn, so had to get a new one. Since I had to remove the old one, might as well paint the engine bay. Scope creep! We’re making moves here in Wisconsin. I’m not saying they are good moves, but we’re making moves none the less.

753D4262-48BF-428E-86CE-3D957B8AE3B8.jpeg

50D8F755-C70D-455F-9824-6BD08EE900F8.jpeg

Current dilemma I thought the original color was the carnival red. After removing a few things, it appears the original color may have been lily white. I was all set to paint it carnival red. Now having second thoughts. I can't say that I'm sold on lily white either. So I find myself in a color selection tailspin. Thoughts?

IMO period correct colours look the best, which were often pastels. Heck, even 464 would look epic.

Carnival red. Hitting google. Familiar with seminole red, carnival sounds fun.

Thanks for this, excellent advice and I will definately implement when and where I can. I agree on the air conditioning. What's the best way to do that? Using an existing kit, or is there a better custom install guys have done? Where did you get your led's? I have been looking but haven't found any yet. rumor has it that ARB will have some that will be DOT approved coming this fall, but other than that I haven't found some that would fit. Thank you in advance.

I was considering Vintage air just because they are in my neck of the woods. Literally on the other side of town. Accidently met the owner in a auto part store and that was before vintage even existed. There are other vendors, you can look in the vendors section here on mud, the Toyota Trails or car or truck magazines will have some articles on installs.

Superbrightled.com is where I ordered mine. I like this because at the time you could search by vehicle. Again times change and there a lot of other vendors out there. Ebay was another place I would get them. I boought spares and ended up buying container to store them .The only tricky part is finding one that will be bright enough for the instrument cluster. I tried several lamps before I found one I was happy with. Some fj40 have modified the cluster to get it brighter, you have too with right LED. Good luck.

I prefer factory colors but it's your LC and your money :). It was explained to me by paint and body family freind that it holds its value when it's original or close to it.. That was his insight and this may be why I'm somewhat a purist. But sometimes it makes more sense to update it with creature comforts...so if it makes you feel better paint it what you think it should be.

I prefer factory colors but it's your LC and your money :). It was explained to me by paint and body family freind that it holds its value when it's original or close to it.. That was his insight and this may be why I'm somewhat a purist. But sometimes it makes more sense to update it with creature comforts...so if it makes you feel better paint it what you think it should be.
Thank you for that. Yeah, I've been all wrapped up in trying to get it right, that I think I lost sight of why I'm restoring it in the first place. I have finally narrowed it down to 2 colors, the carnival red and lily white, now I'm just wrestling with how much of each. I'll post the renderings later this week. Thank you

Carnival red. Hitting google. Familiar with seminole red, carnival sounds fun.
You bring up Seminole red, and I really liked that. But for some reason I can't find that as a color that was available in 64. But I swear I saw that it was, but I've been known to have a few too many whiskeys when looking late at night. Was Seminole available in 64?

some progress being made, A LOT more work to be done. But we're grinding away....
Solving most of our problems. The current challenge is that appears this old girl was imported from Japan, and they had those models had the fender mounted mirrors. So I am in the process of tracking a replacement down. Unicorn hunting as I like to call it.

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

couple "renders" that are doing their best to help me sort through colors . More to come later this week if I can sneak away to post. I am having a render completed that will have carnival red body, lily white rood, lily white headlight surround, lily white bumper and lily white rims. the other version will be Carnival red with pearl body, black everything else.

black-red-white.jpg

red with white surround.jpg

Yes ,your LV takes all the same parts that a 1963 to 1973 FJ40/45 would. The tray did change a little, can't remember what year that happened. Some other parts are the same up to 79. Your only big difference is the body.
I think your year would have a battery tray like this. One shown is presently on EBay and a bit mislabeled.
20190408_172149.jpg

Last edited:
New question for the community experts. Context: I have always thought the old girl rode a little low in the rear, but always chalked it up to age of leaf springs, small tires, too many beers, etc. The other day I was perusing the manual and found an interesting diagram. I know this girl is one from japan, and I've heard rumors that those models had 16" rims vs the 15" the ones for us had. But when I look at the manual, it appears the Japanese models had 15" fronts and 16" inch rears. I may not be reading in right, but that would explain the rear elevation difference. So, I have all 15" rims on it currently, and plan to keep it that way for now.
Question. I would like to level it out. I currently think the best way to level it is to update the leaf springs that create the lift needed. Does anyone know if the leaf springs listed on cruiser corp 2.5" Lifted Leaf Spring, Rear - Heavy Constant - CS002R, FJ40, BJ 1958-1984 will work for the lv? Is there something else I should consider to level it out? Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can provide.

manual image with dimensions.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom