Developing "Need new remote (FOB)" thread for FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I am developing some info for the FAQ to replace lost remotes.

Several FOB's (remotes) actually work. I will post up the two I know of and see if anyone has any additional input.

I am pretty sure these remotes work for both the 80 and LX450, but not sure what years are covered on the 80.

These are for trucks with the R3000 alarm

Stock LX450 FOB BAB237131-032

Corolla/4runner/landcruiser BAB237131-022 - on this one I read somewhere that the back one works but some folks had troubles with the grey? this doesn't sound logical. Any truth to this?

Any others? Post up if your FCC ID for your R3000 remote has a different number

The dealership wanted about 200 dollars for both the remote and programming of said remote.

I walked out of there.

BABEUC-1052 and BABEUC-1163 work.

1175752267000-2066779940.jpeg

BAB237131-013 (toyota symbol) works.

1175746583143-835545030.jpeg

BAB237131-032 (Lexus symbol) works.

1168923548996467334751.jpeg

BAB237131-022 (BLACK CASE ONLY) works.

1167936765323691283436.jpeg

Each of these remotes are interchangeable for 91-97 Toyotas (and the 96-97 LX450).

They all use the same programming procedure

Romer,

I would reference or copy and past some of the information from the following threads into the key FOB FAQ:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=34469

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=154972

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=154839

Some of this is general info on OEM FOBs but would be useful.

As for:

Corolla/4runner/landcruiser BAB237131-022 - on this one I read somewhere that the black one works but some folks had troubles with the grey? this doesn't sound logical. Any truth to this?

Absopositively the truth...I have first hand knowledge as I bought a grey one off ebay for the 80 that had the correct FCC ID on the back. It would NOT program (tried it on both the '97 80 and '97 LX) which is when I ran across one of the threads above. Sure enough, bought a black FOB with the same exact FCC ID and it programmed with NO problems.

I think it is because of this that many of the aftermarket FOBs (of which I've tried a couple) do not work either. Most ebay auctions you see lately make specific mention of what color the remote is.

IMHO, I would stay away from aftermarket FOBs unless someone posts up exactly where they bought it. Not all sellers will accept returns or pay return shipping so it is too easy to buy something that doesn't work with the FZJ80/LX450 alarm.

Edit: I see Cody posted up some info - it is from one of his posts (in one of the threads above) where I first learned about the black vs grey remotes

I bought a new one from cdan last year and he sent me the grey first and it didn't work, the black one he replaced it with did. I didn't recall at the time if it was the same FCC ID. Thanks for the clarification.

$200 for the remote and Programming! I think the remor from Dan new is $50-$60 and the programming takes 5 minutes and its easy.

I've got the original black fob and it works. What I hate is the fob swinging and clunking into the dash. Are there any integrated key/transmitter arrangements that work on 80's?

I recently rented a Mazda that had the switchblade key transmitter setup. That's the hot setup - one piece that folds up small enough to fit in your pocket. Its the stupid price on these gadgets that makes me content to stick the basic key in the lock.

$200 for the remote and Programming! I think the remor from Dan new is $50-$60 and the programming takes 5 minutes and its easy.

A savvy ebayer can usually pick up a used FOB in good-perfect condition for $30 or less. The "Lexus" branded/styled remotes are harder to find than the Toyota style ones so they usually carry a premium.

But, as Cody shows you have a few choices that will work.

As for programming...I know the instructions are in the LX manual but IIRC I don't recall them being in the 80s manual :confused:. Regardless, I think the first thread I linked to has a picture of the instructions so as long at that doesn't disappear anyone that needs a "How to" should be good to go.

I bought a new one from cdan last year and he sent me the grey first and it didn't work, the black one he replaced it with did. I didn't recall at the time if it was the same FCC ID.

I also bought grey ones on eBay with the exact same FCC ID and they wouldn't work. Swapped out the cases, which is all I needed anyway.

My '94 seems to be one of the first alarms, very old school design. Installed at the factory with the single button fob. How do i tell if i have the r3000 alarm>?

Very good question, how can I tell if my 94 was even factory equipped with the keyless entry/alarm, mine currently has no keyfob, but I would REALLY like to have one, as Im used to having one and always having to manually unlock to doors kindof sux.

I am also curious if my 94 is equipped with keyless entry. PO did not provide remote but with power locks I would think there is one avail. somewhere. Just dont want to get ripped off by Steal-Bay.:eek:

I am also curious if my 94 is equipped with keyless entry. PO did not provide remote but with power locks I would think there is one avail. somewhere. Just dont want to get ripped off by Steal-Bay.:eek:

Look for the LED light on the dash, and a black box under the driver's seat.

Grey with the same FCC ID will not work. Black works. I had both at one time.

According to the programing service bulletin the color changed in 98. And, you're right gray will not work on earlier models and black will not work on later models.

Last edited:
Has anyone observed a difference in the range of operability of the various remotes? Can we safely conclude that the limited range of operation is solely due to the reciever in the truck?

And, you're right gray will not work on earlier models and black will not work on later models.

Black works for my '96 and '97. (Part # 08191-60820, same FCC ID as Romer's)

Has anyone observed a difference in the range of operability of the various remotes? Can we safely conclude that the limited range of operation is solely due to the reciever in the truck?

I have 3 remotes, and can safely say that with both trucks the remote makes more of a difference than the truck. I'll try and remember to look at the P/N for the other two FOB's to see if there's a difference, maybe certain models of FOB's work better than others, but my second remote for the '97 worked better than the first remote of the '97. When we got the '96 (which only came with 1 remote) that works better than either of the two we got with the '97. Battery doesn't seem to matter, as I've replaced the batteries in both the '97 remotes several times.

(The year on the FOB's are just for reference, as I've since programmed them to work with both trucks.)

Can we safely conclude that the limited range of operation is solely due to the reciever in the truck?

I don't want to take Romer's Remote FAQ thread off topic - but the range of operation has frustrated me enough to do some testing and try some modifications. So I'll simply state here that as long as you have a properly operating remote fob with good batteries, the remote has nothing to do with the extremely limited operating range. Re-routing or lengthening the receiver antenna improves range slightly, but it's still not anywhere close to what I consider normal operating range. Especially when the very same remotes DO provide what I consider normal range on my other Toyota vehicle with an RS3000.

It's been stated here several times: The absolute best improvement you can make to your 80's remote fob range is accomplished by pressing it against the bottom of your chin while you push the button. It's just magic.

I'd love to dig into this issue further in another thread. An RS3000 receiver swap from another Toyota vehicle might just fix this range issue. My car has approx. 5X the range of my 80 (LX450 with re-routed and lengthened antenna) when using the same remotes. The difference was even greater before my antenna mod testing.

I bought a new one from cdan last year and he sent me the grey first and it didn't work, the black one he replaced it with did. I didn't recall at the time if it was the same FCC ID. Thanks for the clarification.

Ken, did your range improve with a new remote? My old remote works fine, so long as it is within 5 feet of my Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom