More cargo room (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All weekends this summer I have been travelling with my friends, mostly with 3 passengers in the 80. The cargo area in the back is just too small.....

So I had an idea to make more space. And got a friend of mine to make this box for me.

Hlf1.jpg

Then I got me some powertools and made a hole.

Hlf2.jpg

I had already removed all the spare tire mechanism from the back, it was completly usless from rust anyhow. So I had alot of unused space down there.

Hlf3.jpg

And one pic in the end of the finished product.

Hlf4.jpg

Next on the plan is to buy some plywood and make a plate to fit on the floor and make a lid.

Now I have penty more room for my toolbox, spare parts and stuff I never use :) the last time I had to use my toolbox was to help a friend with his JEEP...

Nice! I've heard people say they wouldn't put a fuel tank back there, looks like there's plenty of room for 30+ gallons and still keep the tank above the frame rails. That box looks like it would hold about 50! Hopefully the contoured floor wasn't structural...

-Spike

What are the general dimentions of this? It looks huge but it may be an optical illusion. Great work by the way!

Great idea...and great use of space! What's the material? How much weight do you think that lip is capable of holding!

Looks good!

That thing is huge. The hole I made is 100x47 cm where it is widest. And the box is 30 cm deep. That would be somewhere close to 39x18 inches and 11 inch deep i quess.

Then ofcourse I had to make space for the fuel filler piping and the exhaust so the box is smaller in the front.

But belive me, that thing is HUGE. Much bigger than I had imagined when I marked the outlines for the hole in the floor ;)

When I picked the box up from my friend I thougt, "that thing is far to big, he must have fxxxed up the measurments" but, not it was a perfect fit.

It is made from 2mm aluminum, I have no idea how much weigth I can put there ;) I was thinking I might add some metal frame under it, to add strenght to it.

Yikes! That is crazy thinking and amazing engineering! Keep pics coming.
:cheers:

Very nice.

I like the new idea for the old problem of more storage.

I thought when I purchased the 80 my storage problems would be solved, but like you've showed.....we always want more!!!

hmmm, if I didn't have 8 gallons of tanks under there that would be SO on my list. Would also be a SWEET setup for dual fuel diesels...a warmer and a veggie tank in the back...

That is a great idea....
Can provide the dimensions in the attached hand sketch of the profile of the tank looking at it from the top?

Note: G and H represent the vertical "rise" of the sloped lines and E and F represent the horizontal "run" of the sloped lines.

See attached pic:
Profile.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I like that. With my rear bumper I'd have to keep the box from hanging below the frame rails, but it would add a nice storage space none the less.

With careful cutting, could the removed piece of deckplate been used as a lid? Just wondering aloud for others who might attempt...

With careful cutting, could the removed piece of deckplate been used as a lid? Just wondering aloud for others who might attempt...

I think that, for anyone capable of fabricating someting such as this, fabricating a new lid from scratch would be more practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom